When the Clock Strikes Twelve

Until It Hurts No More

 

Donghae's POV 

 

When the clock strikes twelve 

 

Emptiness was what I was feeling when I woke up the next morning. I wasn't angry or sad anymore. All I knew was that, a huge part of me is missing and I'm not liking it. 

I rolled to my back and realized that I was still wearing the same clothes I was in last night. I felt warm, so I undid the buttons of my shirt and just stayed there lying down on my bed. Savoring the sweet moment of being back to my old home. 

A minute later, the scrumptious smell of my mother's cooking started creeping in my room and right under nose.  My stomach grumbled and it dawned on me that part of the reason why I was feeling empty was because I was literally empty. I didn't get the chance to have dinner last night and I was really starving.  

I jumped out of bed and immediately went to the kitchen. I hurried through the small hallway to the place where I've had countless breakfasts when I was a kid. 

Being brought back to old times gave me a better mood already. Especially seeing Omma chopping ingredients on the counter with a calm expression. 

I walked in the kitchen and tried put to on a happy face. "Good morning." 

Omma looked up then her face brightened. "Oh, you're awake! Sit down. Breakfast is almost ready." 

I did what she told me and settled myself on my old spot. "Mmm. Where is Donghwa, Omma?", I wondered.

Omma turned around and poured something in the boiling pot. "Ah. Your brother's out for work, honey." 

She mixed the soup with a big wooden spoon before turning the stove off and transferring it from the pot to a porcelain bowl.  Omma walked towards me with a soft smile then placed the bowl down on the table. 

"It looks delicious, Omma", I said while eyeing the big chunk of chicken floating over the rice porridge. 

"I know it's your favorite". She put a smaller bowl in front of me and I stayed quiet while she serves me like a kid. 

Once she was finished, I put a smile on my face and said, "Thanks, Omma." 

She looked at me then I saw the sadness in her eyes. Omma was worried and confused yet it felt like she understood everything I was going through. And I think we both knew that I wasn't just thanking her for the porridge. 

She laced an arm around my neck then kissed the top of my head. "You're welcome, son. Always." 

She tousled my hair then quietly took a seat in front of me. 

I started digging in my soup as Omma sat there and watched me like I'm a beaten bird trying to get up. 

"It tastes great", I uttered to break the silence. "It's just like how I remembered it." 

I faked a smile but I don't think it worked on her. Omma couldn't seem to take it anymore. She looked at me in the eye, the calmness gone from her face. She opened and said, "Tell me what's wrong son... I can't bear looking at you like that." 

I sighed heavily then placed my spoon down. "I'm your mother, Donghae. You can tell me anything", she continued. 

I knotted my fingers under the table and forced the words out of my mouth. "My marriage is at stake now, Omma." I looked down to hide my shame. It felt like telling the truth is the most embarrassing thing to do. 

"What happened?" she asked. I didn't look at her but her voice sounded like she was disappointed. It made me feel harder to confess. 

 "I... I cheated on Siwon." I looked away. I stared to the steady sway of the green grass through the window, my eyes watering with tears. "I'm sorry, Omma." 

She reached for my hand and said, "No. You don't apologize to me. I understand... We all make mistakes, Donghae." She gently rubbed my hands and that's when I felt the tears streaking down my cheeks. 

I was out of words so I just nodded and just let myself cry. 

"What did Siwon say? Do you think he's able to forgive you?" 

I shrugged. "I don't really know... He's really mad and I know I had hurt him really bad." 

She let out a deep and tired exhale then said, "Well, you're right about coming here. He will need all the time and space to think right now." 

"Yes". I sniffed. 

"Everything will be alright, son. Have faith." 



 

After getting a nice hot shower and changing into fresh clothes, I spent the rest of the day in the darkness of my room crying, sleeping, staring at empty space, then doing it all over. I just wanted to shut the whole world out for a moment and give myself some time alone. 

In the middle of the evening, Omma knocked on my door and asked if I wanted to have dinner and I said no. Gladly, she let me off and walked away without a word. 

Then just before the day ended, Donghwa came in the room then sat on my bed. I could still smell the outside world from him and it seemed like he just got out of work. 

I really missed my brother but I was in no mood for small talk, so I just pretended to be asleep. 

He gave me a soft pat on the head then squeezed my shoulder before leaving quietly. 

Despite having enough hours, I still managed to force myself to sleep and just left the whole world behind me.



 

I was woken up by a burning ache in my throat. I tried hard to ignore it but it was so uncomfortable.  I have never been this thirsty. My whole body almost felt dry. A cold glass of water would be perfect, I thought. 

I looked at the window and saw small rays of the morning sun. It was probably about six in the morning. I don't know how long I've been sleeping but it felt like an entire day. No wonder my own body woke me up and reminded me of its needs. 

I groaned and decided that it's time to face the world again. I shifted to my side and put my feet down to the floor lazily. 

While trying to get up, I accidentally bumped the side table making a few things fall. 

I the lamp and bent down to pick up an old book---one that I never got to finish and has been sitting here for who knows how long, a mini Eiffel Tower statue, and then my cell phone. 

I placed the book and the Eiffel Tower back to the table and turned my phone on without thinking. 

6 voice mails and 9 text messages immediately flashed on the screen, all of which from Siwon. I clicked on the messages first and read them. 

-

Where are you? Let's talk. 

 

We need to talk about this. Answer my call. 

 

What the hell are you ignoring me for? You're mine, Donghae. I'm not letting you go. Pick up your stupid phone! 

 

I'm sorry. That was mean. Please talk to me... 

 

What I did tonight was very stupid. Please say you'll forgive me. We have to fix this. I'm really sorry, babe. 

 

Why haven't you been answering my calls? Don't scare me like this. Please text me or something. I love you... 

 

I know you're still mad at me but please, you need to let me know you're okay. I'm worried sick. 

 

I love you, Lee Donghae. You're still my husband and you will always be. 

 

I love you and I really miss you, Donghae. Let's start over. 

-

A tear drop escaped my eye and landed on the screen. I wiped it with my shirt then clicked on the voice mails.

I held the phone next to my ear and Siwon's voice started playing from the speaker. "Donghae... Where are you? You're making so worried. Please answer my call. Please... Just let me know you're alright." 

His tone was gentle and sweet again, just like it used to be. Yet again, I was sobbing hard before I know it. It just was so nice hearing him like that again. 

I embraced my phone next to my heart and closed my eyes. I couldn't take to listen to another of Siwon voice mails. I didn't want to spend my morning weeping and be such a baby.

I looked out the window again and the sun was just starting rise. A beginning of a new day. A fresh start.

The view from my window looked breath-taking. But I wanted to see closer and taste the morning breeze. After spending all day in a closed room, I thought that I need a dose of nature. So I stood up, put on my slippers and decided to go for a walk. 

I headed for the bay not far from house. I sat down on the concrete pedestal right across the shore where a panoramic view of the sunrise was displayed before me. 

I took in the crisp ocean air and stared at the far out. The sound of the splashing waves and soft calls of the seagulls added a great touch to the beautiful picture. 

I found myself smiling and feeling lighter again. This is just what I need. I'm in heaven... 

Down by shore, an old couple walked hand in hand through the sand, leaving two pairs of footprints behind them.

I hugged my knees as a small sting of envy came upon me. That's exactly what Siwon and I dreamed of. Grow old next to each other, enjoy our life and just be happy. 

Then I remembered how I much I miss Siwon. How badly I craved for his touch or even his mere presence. I miss him and I can't wait to be with him again. I need him to be my loving and thoughtful husband again. I really want him back and if he's willing to start over with me, so am I. 

I know what to do now. And this time, I know I won't mess it up. 

I took my phone out from my pocket and dialed Siwon's number without any hesitation. I have never been so determined to do something. 

His line rings. This is it... Oh gosh, I hope it goes right.

"Donghae?" He answered. 

I froze. His voice... He really sounds like his old self again. I smiled and said, "Hi. Hope I didn't wake you up." 

"Thank God! Finally! No, I just got to the set, actually. I have this shoot today. Anyway, baby, you don't know how worried I am for you! Are you alright? Are you still mad at me? Hae, please, I---" 

"Siwon. Slow down." His buzz made me giggle a little. "I'm not mad anymore and I'm not going anywhere. We shouldn't rush things if we really are going to settle this. Right?"

"Right." His excitement winded down a little but he's relieved. 

"Okay. Uhm..." Oh, shoot. Why can't I think of anything to say? Err...

"I miss you", he said softly. "So much." 

"I miss you too", I replied with a sigh. 

"I am willing to forget anything, anything that happened, if you say you'll take me back and forgive me." 

"I'll do everything just to have you back, Siwon." 

He chuckled. Oh, that sweet manly laugh of his... "You just made me the happiest person right now. I love you so much." 

"And I love you too." 

"Mr. Siwon, it's time to do the test shots”, a girl said at background. 

"Okay. Just a second, please", Siwon politely said to the girl then back at me. "Listen, I have work to do now. Can we talk more about this? Tonight? I need my husband back as soon as possible." 

I laughed. "Siwon, you never lost me at all." 

He drew out a breath full of relief and happiness. "I love you, Lee Donghae." 

"I love you too, Choi Siwon". 

"But I love you more." 

I laughed again. I love when he's acting giddy like this but he clearly, has no time. "Go back to work, Siwon." 

"You're right. Don't forget about tonight, okay?" 

"Yes, my dear husband. I won't. Go." 

"Alright. I love you. Goodbye, babe." 

"I love you too. Bye." I hanged up and got on my feet. I stood on top of the pedestal and stretched out my arms. I grinned like a fool and felt the warm sunlight on my skin. I can finally say I'm happy again. 

I waved cheerfully to old couple walking by and they waved back at me. I bowed at them before I sprinted back to the house, the smile never leaving my face. 

I found Omma sweeping the floor when I came back. She looked at me and asked, "You're up early. Where have you been?" 

"Just down by the beach, Omma." I wiped the sweat on my forehead. 

"Have you been crying?" 

I smiled at her. "A bit. But I'm much better now." I walked towards to her and gave her a kiss on the cheek. 

She eyed me suspiciously. "Did I miss something?" 

I flashed her a wide grin and said, "Siwon and I will talk things out tonight." 

She dropped the broom and clasped her hands. "That's wonderful! Is he coming here? I should cook something special for him!" 

"No, no. We're just going to talk over the phone. He's pretty busy." 

"Oh... I'm happy for you, son." She said and patted me on the cheek. 

"Thanks, Omma." 

"Look at you all sweaty. Aigoo... You must be hungry. What do you want for breakfast?" 

"Mmm... A really really tall glass of water!" 



 

I looked outside the window to see the sky just beginning to dark. I checked the time again and it was only about 5PM. I was getting fidgety. I couldn't hardly wait for Siwon's call and hear his voice again. 

I was tapping rhythmically on the table next to me while clutching my cell phone with my other hand. I was glad Omma didn't feel my anxiousness because we were watching this silly game show. Well, actually, she was watching it. I was too distracted to even understand what the hosts were talking about. 

I was staring blankly at the TV screen as the hosts laugh hysterically about some joke. When suddenly, there was a knock on the door. 

I was about to stand to check who it is but Omma got up first and said, "I'll get it. That must be your brother. He always forgets his keys." 

I was left alone in the living room, still couldn't bear to put my phone down. I wanted to answer it right away when Siwon calls. 

I heard the door click then Omma called out to me, "Uh, Donghae, I think you have some visitors." 

I frowned as I stood up and wonder who might come all the way down here to visit me. 

I walked to the door then stopped and stared wide eyed to Eunhyuk, Sungmin, and Shindong-hyung standing by our doorstep. All three wearing tuxedos and looking debonair. 

Sungmin smacked his forehead with his hand and whined, "Aish! I told you guys he isn't ready yet." 

I cocked my head to the side and marveled, "What are you guys doing here?" 

"Siwon asked us to pick you up since he's still at work", explained Hyuk. 

I wore a puzzled look on my face as I try to figure out why would Siwon ask them to do that. 

"What are you waiting for, Hae? Start dressing up. We're gonne be late!", Shindong-hyung said waving his hand towards me. 

"Late for what?!" What are these guys talking about?! I'm as clueless as a pirate wearing two eye patches.

"For the SM Town party, of course! I thought Siwon already told you. He said you guys are going to have a serious talk tonight", Hyuk uttered with his brows pulled down with confusion. 

Oh, no... I remember getting an invitation for the party but it flew out of my mind since all this happened, and Siwon must've forgotten to remind me. I should've known that he meant to have our talk in person. "But I thought we were going to have that conversation on the phone", I said then held up my cell phone to them. 

"Well, you thought wrong, kid, Now take a shower and start getting ready", Shindong-hyung said. 

I huffed and complained, "But I don't have anything to wear, guys!" 

Hyuk raised his arm and held up a newly pressed tuxedo on a coat hanger. "We've got that covered, Fishy."



 

I stood in front of the mirror while I fixed my tie. I stared at myself and made sure that everything was in place. I smiled and thought how this felt like prom night all over again. 

I got out of my room then met Omma and my three handsome chaperones at the hallway leading to the front door. Yup, this is like prom alright.  

"We better get going. I don't wanna get stuck in traffic", Shindong-hyung said before going outside followed by Sungmin and Hyukkie. 

I turned to Omma and asked, "How do I look?" 

"You look dashing, son", she replied. She looked almost teary eyed. 

 "Let's go, Fishy. We're running late already", Sungmin hollered from outside. 

"Wait up!" I yelled back. 

I hugged Omma and whispered, "Thank you for taking care of me, Omma. I'll come visit more often, I promise." 

She held my chin and said, "You're always welcome, son. Remember that." 

I kissed her cheek for the second time today and thanked her again. 

"You enjoy the night, okay? Take care", Omma said while leading me outside. 

I got awestruck the second I laid my eyes on a really expensive looking stretched limousine waiting for me. It almost looked ridiculous in our modest neighborhood. 

I walked towards it and the chauffer opened the door for me. Before I got in, I looked back and waved once again to my mother, "Thanks, Omma! Love you!" 



 

The car ride felt more luxurious than I thought. We had free champagne, snacks, and even disco lights. Too bad we couldn't stay longer because we got to our destination an hour after. 

We stopped in front of the grand entrance door and I could already see how extravagant the party looked on the inside. SMent sure knows how to throw a party. 

And just before stepping out of the car, Hyukkie handed me a mask. "Don't forget these." 

I looked at him with a frown. He ignored me and put on his own mask. And so did Sungmin and Shindong-hyung. 

I stared down at the mask in my hand. It looked simple yet elegant. It's silver and it'll only hide the upper part of my face. I shrugged at myself and decided to just put it on. 

We stepped out of the limo one by one and we were greeted by flashing lights from all the paparazzi surrounding us. 

Bouncers in tight black shirts lead us to the entrance and the four of us walked in the party. I watched the whole scene full of colorful decorations and party goers in masks. 

Hyuk, Sungmin, and Shindong-hyung scattered to greet some people so I was left standing alone. I was still in wonder at how SMent pulled off such a cool event. 

"I'm glad you made it." Siwon's y voice spoke behind me so I turned around and gave him my happiest smile. 

He was also wearing the same mask like we got so I couldn't really see his eyes. But that enigmatic smile of his made me sure that it was man that I married in front of me. 

 "I wouldn't miss it for the world", I said. 

He handed me a long-stemmed red rose and said, "You look impeccably handsome even with that mask on. You definitely stand out in front of everybody." 

I smirked and replied, "Thanks. And you look striking as always”.  

He held his hand out. "Dance with me." 

I nodded and took his hand without a word. We got in the middle of the dance floor and joined some other couples dancing to the slow passionate song. 

Suddenly, it felt like we were back on the night of our wedding. 

He leaned away and looked in to my eyes. "I'm sorry... For everything." He held the small of my back tighter and continued, "I know I acted like a complete jerk and I'm really sorry for that." 

I rubbed his knuckles with my thumb as we went on to dance. "I'm sorry too." 

"Oh. For what?" He mocked a surprised tone and the hint of smile on his face made our little talk so much lighter. 

"For breaking my vows. And your heart." 

"Don't worry about them. We will make knew ones", he said in his signature Siwon coolness. 

We smiled and blushed at each other. He leaned in closer to me and my heart drummed to the anticipation for the next thing coming. He pulled me closer to him then inched his face lower and kissed me. 

We closer our eyes as we mend our broken hearts and screamed it to the whole world watching us. 

He pulled away with a short breath and whispered, "I love you." 

"I love you too." 

The music changed to something more upbeat and most of the lights went out. Other couples went back to their tables while some burst into a lively dance. 

Siwon held both my hands and asked, "You want to go outside and talk?" 

I nodded. "Okay, sure." 

"There's a small gazebo outside. I'll meet you there, okay? I'll just go grab us drinks", he yelled through the loud music. 

"Okay", I yelled back. 

He gave me a kiss on the cheek before parting ways with me. A silly smile was pasted on his face, making me smile with him. It's such a pleasure seeing him this happy. 

I walked through the crowd right to the door leading to the garden. 

The air felt cold as I made my way down to gazebo in the middle of an intricately maintained garden. 

I stepped on to the gazebo which was made completely out of wood. Vines covered each posts on all the sides and only a small lamp lighted up everything. 

I took a seat on the small bench. Then I took off my mask and carefully placed it down beside me. 

There was nothing on my mind but happy thoughts. This fine evening is making me feel like I'm in floating with the clouds. Nothing can stop Siwon and I setting a fresh start now. We're going to build our relationship stronger than ever. 

I heard footsteps so I turned around and saw Siwon standing on the wooden steps of the gazebo. 

"There you are... I was starting to think you bailed out on me." I stood up and walked towards him. I cupped his face with my hands and planted a quick kiss on his lips. 

I felt his body stiffened, so I pulled back and asked, "What's wrong?" 

He didn't answer. His Adam’s apple bobbed as he swallowed hard and started to take off his mask. 

Then my heart almost popped out of my chest when I realized I was standing face to face with Mario. 

"It's me." His face hard as stone. I shook my head at him. How could I forget how much they resembled from each other? 

I noticed he was wearing a bowtie smaller than Siwon's and there were no satin details on his suit. How could you not see it, Donghae?

Mario reached out to calm me down but swatted his hand away.

Then I didn't even had time to react before Siwon appeared behind us. He watched the back of Mario's head like he's about to bite if off. "You again”, he said with gritted teeth.

When Mario turned around, Siwon wasted no time and swung his fist right through Mario's jaw. 

Mario fell back then Siwon growled as he got on top of him and hit him harder. 

"Siwon, stop!" I screamed then grabbed his shoulders to stop him. 

Mario tried to fight back but Siwon got his knee over Mario's chest, pinning him down. 

"Stop it, please!" 

Siwon threw punch after punch and all that Mario can do was shield his face with his arms. 

I yanked Siwon's forearm then he shook it away so hard and made me lose my balance. 

I was thrown aback to the floor then Siwon finally stopped hitting Mario. 

Siwon got on his feet and yelled on my face. "How could you do this to me again, Donghae?!" 

I struggled to stand up and plead at the same time. "I didn't do anything, Siwon! This is a total misunderstanding! 

"NO! I'm not listening to your lies again, you !" It was back. The monster that I thought I would never see again was there in front of me again. His face hot red and the veins on his neck bulked. 

I willed myself to be brave and tried to embrace him in my arms. "Siwon, please. You have to believe me this time!"

"Never again, Donghae! NEVER AGAIN!" He me back and I just gaped at him to my shock.

"What's going on in here?" Hyuk was suddenly standing by the steps. Sungmin, Ryeowook and Kyuhyun came running after him. All three of them in horror to the sight of Mario of stressing to get up with blood all over his face.

Sungmin and Ryeowook immediately helped him. 

I couldn't believe I'm put on this situation again. I shook and said, "Fine. If you don't want to believe me, then suit yourself. I've really had enough of all of this! You will never change, Siwon! You will always believe what your sick and malicious mind tells you to believe. You're the one who lied. You said you want a fresh start with me, but you lied!" Tears were flowing like crazy now and I had no way to stop it. "I'm done with you, Siwon!" 

I shoved past him with my shoulders then walked past Eunhyuk. I darted to the nearest exit then out to the streets. 

I ran as fast as I can until I was out of breath. I stood on the pavement and ignored all the lookers. I grabbed my knees and grunted out of frustration. 

I stood straight again and balled my hands into fists. I've never felt so angry before. I just wanted to smack somebody right now. 

I started feeling droplets of rain on top of my head. Oh, great! Just what I needed! 

Siwon emerged from afar and he was calling out my name. 

I started walking again but faster this time and turned right the corner. 

He was making his way towards me and pushing past pedestrians. "Donghae, wait! Stop right there!" he yelled but I didn't look back. I kept going as the rain grew harder, and I couldn't care less. And so did Siwon. 

As of now, nothing matters to me. I just wanted to get away from here. Away from him. And from everything else behind me. 

Siwon called out my name again but I ignored him. I knew he was nearing me because his voice is getting closer. 

Being with him is the last thing I wanted right now. So I decided to cross the street and walked the other way. I was too astounded to notice the people staring and wondering why I'm walking under the rain on my tuxedo. 

"Donghae!", Siwon screamed on top of his lungs. His voice sounded faint in the loud drops of the rain. 

I stopped mid way the street to look back at Siwon. He was shouting my name again and again with much more intensity. He was running up to me then I wondered why he looked so scared. I looked to my side and that's when I saw the headlights of an incoming car. I tried to budge away but it was too late. 

The car hit me. Hard. The impact tossed me like a rag doll across from where I was. I felt different sorts of pain running all over me. Was it my arm? My back? My head? I didn’t know.

I couldn't move or feel my body so I just lied down on the hard cement of the road. Then I heard screams all around me. 

I felt so weak. Rain continued to fall on me. I blinked them away then I saw blood dripping from my face. I wasn't sure where it was coming from because my head and my body hurt altogether it was hard to tell. 

"No, no... Baby..." Siwon was kneeling next to me in no time. He tried to pick me up but I groaned to the pain when I moved. 

He cradled my head in his arms. I watched him while he looked down on me with nothing but fear and worry in his eyes. I wanted to reach out and touch his face and tell him I'm sorry. But I was too weak.  

He never stopped screaming. "Donghae, no... Stay with me baby, please... Don't do this me!" His voice pleading and desperate to get a response. I felt myself getting weaker and weaker and everything was just going black. My eyes were closing and my mind was shutting off before I knew it. 

Siwon held me tighter and said, "Baby just hang in there, please! Please, please... I love you..." 

And that was the last thing I heard.