Press the Reset

Until It Hurts No More

Donghae's P.O.V. 

 

Press the reset 

 

I started my morning early the next day. I jumped in the shower and washed the negativities away from me. I promised myself that I won't let anything bother me again. My plan for the day is to keep myself stress-free the entire day. No frills, as the wise people say. My yesterday was made awful by an unexpected lunch with the biggest menace in my life. It was one of most difficult situations I have ever occurred. But I'll make sure that won't happen again. Hell, no. Not today, not tomorrow, not ever! I will stay away from that guy and just focus on the things that really matter. Like work, for example. 

I put on my favorite harlem sweatpants and pushed myself to attend the dance rehearsals. I got to SMent earlier than my usual 30-minute-later time. Leeteuk-hyung arrived before me, and so as Kyuhyun and Yesung-hyung. Teukkie-hyung was doing something on his laptop, so I decided to join Kyuhyun and Yesung-hyung on the floor. I sat beside Kyuhyun after greeting the both of them. 

"Hey, Fishy. Manager-hyung told me that Siwon is at Tokyo now. Is that right?" asked Yesung-hyung. 

"Yeah. He's there to campaign his new drama. You know how all the promotions work." 

"It's the first time I'm seeing you without him since the wedding. I bet you're missing so bad", said Kyuhyun then he cocked his head on the side. 

Then Yesung-hyung added, "Yeah, you guys are inseparable."

It's true. I have never left Siwon's side since we got married. We do almost everything together. We sleep together. We work out together. We even shower together. It's kinda like we can't enough of each other. And actually, I think I would feel so lonely without him. But honestly, I am not feeling bad at all. I'm not sure if that's a good thing though. Is it wrong that I don't miss my husband? Or it's okay because it means that I don't depend too much on him? Even I, don't know what to say. So I just said what they probably want to hear. "Yes. I miss him so much..."

"Looks like the others are coming late. Alright, get up, you guys. We better start!", Teukkie-hyung called then the three of us got on our feet then went on our assigned positions. Hyung pressed the play button and S.P.Y. started blasting from the speakers. 


After the practice, some of the guys agreed to go to a bar and have a drink. I refused since I'm certain that I won't be able to control myself or them to have just a drink. Siwon warned me not to have too much fun while he's gone. I think that includes getting drunk and wild with the guys. We all know how that turned out the last time. That Sangria in Mexico almost cost me my only chance of getting married with someone like Siwon. So I hit the showers right away then changed into my Gap sweatshirt and black basketball shorts. I carried my duffel bag over shoulder, wished the guys a good time then I was off the door. 

I was walking down the hallway, on my way to the elevator, when I saw Jessica and Sunny talking to a guy with the exact hair and posture with Siwon. 

My heartbeat went faster. That... that can't be him. Why did he come back so soon? The promotions can't be over already. That can't be Siwon. I know it. But if that ain't him then it must be... 

"Oh, there he is!", said Jessica's high-pitched girl voice. She pointed a finger at me then the guy turned around. 

He saw me then he smirked in an evil way only Mario can do. No freaking way! What is he doing here in my workplace? This guy has gone too far! I tightened my grip on the handle of my bag and I focused my eyes at him like an eagle preparing to attack his prey. 

Without taking his stare off of me he waved a hand to Jessica and Sunny. "Thanks, ladies." The two girls turned red and giggled at each other like a couple of high school girls. 

Mario started walking towards my direction. I rolled my eyes at him then turned the other way. I walked as fast as I could heading back to the rehearsal area. I heard quick footsteps behind me and felt warm fingers circling my right wrist. 

He got a hold of me so I turned around and scowled at him. "What?! What do you want this time?"

While trying to catch his breath, he ran a hand through his hair and said, "I came here to see you." 

He said it like it's the most obvious answer. As if my asking was a dumb choice. Really this guy...I blinked hard in my frustration. I wanted to ask why but I'm afraid of what he might answer. So I snapped at him and said, "Well, you already saw me. Now, please leave me alone." 

He shook his head and chuckled. "No, I came to give you this." He held up a familiar Alexander McQueen paper bag at my face. "You left it when you ran out with Eunhyuk yesterday." 

It's the bow tie I bought for Siwon! I was in so much hurry to get out of the restaurant, I didn't even noticed I left something behind. Aish... You're so careless, Hae! I felt like slapping myself, but I preferred to just take the bag from his hand. "T-thank you..." I murmured. 

"You're welcome", he said proudly. He crossed his arms in front of his chest and winked at me. 

He could've just taken it with him or throw it somewhere. But instead, he bothered to go here and hand it to me himself. I eyed like at him quizzically. What's the matter with this guy? I looked down on my fingers and said, "I... I have to go." 

I turned around to leave but he placed a hand on my shoulder and stopped me. "Wait up, Donghae." He said my name like no one ever had before. He pronounced it like a word from a poem. 

I sighed and turned back at him. "Yes?" 

His smirk was gone. Without it, it feels like he's a whole new person is standing in front of me. He took a deep breath and said, "I think we started at the foot here." I watched his hand move from my shoulder down to my arm. "I'm sorry if I have offended you and if you think I'm making fun of you. I didn't mean to piss you off like that. All I really want is to to be friends you. I think you're an interesting person, Donghae. Please, give me another chance to prove you that I'm not as bad as you think." Then he held out his hand at me and said, "So what do you say? Friends?" 

I stared down at his hand suspiciously. Why do I feel like shaking his hand would get me into trouble? 

"Hey, don't leave me hanging here." I looked at his face again. He's smiling at me, but it was different this time. It felt warm and friendly. 

I rolled my eyes then took his hand. "Fine." 

We shook hands while he said, "We will be good friends, Donghae." He grinned. 

I squinted my eyes at him. "Errr... Okay. I'm gonna go get my car now. Bye." I took my hand away then walked passed him. 

He started to follow me and said, "Where are we going?"

I glared at him, stricken with what he just said. "What do you mean WE?" 

"To be able to build a friendship we'll need to hang out, Donghae." 

I gawked at him, feeling dumbfounded. "Errr... I'm busy, sorry." 

"Alright. Then at least give me a ride back to my hotel." He casted a thin smiled and wiggled his eyebrows.  


"Turn right", Mario pointed at the next street. I swerved the car that way. 

"Then turn left at that corner." I rolled my eyes in the dark. I feel like a chauffeur with the way he says the direction. So bossy and so... controlling.

"Are you sure this is the right way?" My voice sounded annoyed. But I can't help it. We've been on the road for almost an hour and we still haven't reached this damn hotel.

"Yes, yes. Affirmative." he answered. "Take a right turn right over there." I drove us to where he had pointed then we ended up in a freeway. 

Wait a sec. This is heading downtown already. His hotel can't be this far. He turned my eyes to the right and saw him smiling at himself. I slapped his arm with the back of my hand. "You're tricking me! This isn't the way to your hotel!" 

"Ow!" He smoothed his arm. "Yes, it is!"

I hit him again. "No, it's not! We're heading downtown already! I don't know any Western Ocean Hotel there!" 

He burst into laughter. Why is he---? Oh god... Western Ocean! It's the exact opposite of my name! Aish... this rascal! I hit him again and again. I wanted to pull over and throw him out of the car, but too bad we're in the middle of a freeway. 

"Ow! Stop... Stop. Fine, I really just want to hang out with you, okay? Is that so bad?" 

I growled. "This is not hanging out!" Ugh... I feel like I'm being punished for all my sins. Why do I have to get stuck with this guy?! 

He shifted his body and faced me. "Let's go to a place where we can talk then." 

"No!", I shouted. "I'm taking you back to SMent. Then I want you out of my car!" And out of my life!

"Oh c'mon, Donghae! A few minutes won't hurt, right? I promise no more tricks. Please?" 

I looked at him and he grinned at me. I really want to punch him in the gut but I don't want to go to jail for beating a famous Thai actor and ruin my career. So I took the nearest exit and gave up. 

"Yes, that's it... be a good friend", he teased. 

"Just shut up." Oh boy, this is going to be a long night...


I parked the car by the concrete barriers along the foot of Banpo Bridge. I decided to take him here since it's the nearest spot downtown and I wanted to visit this place as well. I couldn't even remember the last time I went here. 

Mario got out of the car and he inhaled the fresh bayside air. "This place is nice, Donghae. It's peaceful and quiet. It seems like no body else have heard of this place. How long have you been going here?" 

I got out of the car as well. "The other members and I used to go here after practice. But that was back then when we weren't so busy. We rarely go here now." I watched him get lost in the fountain display of the bridge. 

He pointed at it and looked at me. "I know this is a landmark for South Korea, but I never thought I'd see it from this view. It's wonderful. Thanks for bringing me here, Donghae." He smiled and did a half bow at me. All of a sudden, he doesn't seem annoying anymore. He's rather polite. 

He walked over the hood of my car then positioned himself on top of it. 

"Hey, what are you doing?" I asked as he put his hands at the back of his head then lied down.  

"What?" He furrowed his eyebrows. 

I exhaled and calmed myself down. Just let him be, Hae... You can get rid of him after tonight. I rolled my eyes at him. "Nothing." 

While looking at the sky, he breathed out, "Join me." 

"No", I bluntly said.

"C'mon. Don't be a wuss." 

I glared at him. "I'm not a wuss!" 

"Then why won't you lie down?" He raised an eyebrow at me. 

"Because!" 

He used his elbows to hoist his torso up. "Because what?" 

I looked away and ignored him. 

He shook his head slowly. "What a wuss..."

"I'm not a wuss!" I grunted. He just looked at me then shrugged. "Fine! Move over." He scooted to the left and I lied down next to him. I hugged myself with my arms and stared at the night sky. 

He chuckled. "There. You look much cooler now." 

I disregarded him in thoughts and focused on the beautiful stars shining down on us. They look so many and somehow, they shine brighter at this part of the city. "So beautiful..." I said under my breath. 

"Yes, they are..." I realized he was looking up at them as well. "Stars are out tonight and you're the brightest one shining in my sky. It's like every wish I ever made came true, the day I woke up lying next to you."

I turned my eyes at him. "What did you say?"

He let a small laugh and said, "Nothing. That was just a line from one of the plays i was on back in high school." 

"Oh." I gazed back at the stars. 

"Starlight, star bright, he was my first kiss tonight; Wish I may, wish I might, have this guy for the rest of my life..." he whispered.

I slowly shifted my head to look at him. His eyes were closed and he wore an easy smile on his face. He crossed his arms in front of him and his whole body relaxed. 

Mario is not the person I thought he is. He enjoys and appreciates small things around him and he just wants to have fun.  He can get really annoying at times but at the end... he's not the worst guy after all.