Three's a Crowd

Until It Hurts No More

 

Donghae's P.O.V. 

 

Three's a crowd 

 

Have you ever felt so shocked that your whole world suddenly stops and all you could say was What the ? Yeah, I'm in that moment now. 

There a lot of unexpected twists in my life but this one right now was undoubtedly crazy. 

My heart just started pounding just as when I laid my eyes on Mario walking towards Siwon and me. He was little underdressed and he got this puzzled look on his face while a strange man in a suit escorted him to our direction. 

I turned around and looked at Siwon. Half-expecting him to be in rage seeing Mario but instead, he was just sitting there and watching. Menacingly. As if he was actually enjoying the scene. I frowned at him and dared to ask an unthinkable question. "You planned this, didn’t you?" 

He pursed his lips into a smile and said, "You got me, Babe." 

I shook my head at him. Questions began to swim in my head but the one that stuck out was, "But why?" 

I stared at him with confusion and hurt. Why would he do this? Why would he complicate things further? Isn't our relationship difficult enough? He just shrugged and simply answered, "I did what I had to do." 

"Donghae. What's going on?" Mario asked, standing behind me. Siwon trailed his eyes on him and I did the same. 

They bored their gazes on to each other like they were communicating in some way. While I stood between them helplessly like a wall keeping them from strangling each other. "This is ridiculous", I whispered to myself. 

Mario heard and looked at me. "Can you please tell me what's happening, Donghae?" Then he pointed a thumb to the man in the suit next to him. "This guy told me that you were in trouble. What's wrong?" 

"Nothing's wrong", I said then shifted my head to Siwon. "This is all a set-up." 

"Oh, this is not a set-up, my love." Siwon uttered as he rose to his feet. "This is merely a meeting I arranged so that Mario and I could finally get to know each other." Then he shot a glare to Mario. 

I turned my back to Mario and went eye to eye with Siwon. "Please let's not do this, Siwon. Not in front of all these people", I pleaded quietly. 

He caressed my cheek between his fingers. This once was an act of affection from him, but now it felt intimidating. "Relax. You're too tensed, dear." He finally put his hand down then held my mine. "Just enjoy the evening." 

I just stared at him. Speechless for all this craziness. He pulled the chair next to his and pushed me down to sit.  

He sat beside me and gestured towards the chair across us. "Please. Join us, Mario." He mocked a smile again then rested his arm over my shoulders. 

Mario and I exchanged a look. He looked baffled and disturbed and mad all at once. I wanted to stand up and drag him away from this mess, but I couldn't. Not without making a scene. So I just slightly shook my head and mouthed, "Don't." 

We watched each other for a while before he gave Siwon a I'm-not-backing-down look. Mario yanked the chair in front of him then sat coolly. 

Siwon then dismissed the guy in a suit, who was just standing awkwardly before us, pretending that he wasn't listening. "You may leave now, Yong Suk. I'll get back to you." 

The quiet man bowed at Siwon then walked away without a word. 

"I'm really glad you could join us, Mario", said Siwon with a smug on his face. Obviously amused with his plan. 

"I'm afraid I didn't have much choice", Mario replied with his chin up. I don't know what he's thinking but he's clearly not backing down on this stand-off Siwon pulled. 

Siwon laughed sarcastically. "You always have a choice, Mario. Humans are naturally stubborn, if we don't want to do something, we won't do it. No matter how hard someone pushes us. But then you decided to join us. That means something inside you really wants to stay. Isn't that right, Donghae?" 

Siwon turned to me and waited for my answer. I wanted to roll my eyes at him and ask him to stop this non-sense. But I know I wouldn't be able to. So I just drew a deep breath and played along, "What do you mean?" 

He shrugged and continued, "That we make our own decisions and should not blame other circumstances for it." 

I looked firmly at Siwon and said, "What are trying to say, Siwon?" 

"Yeah. Spit it out", Mario butted in. 

Siwon's expression hardened and told Mario, "I think we all know what I'm trying to say." 

"Are you all ready to order, Sir?" Suddenly a waiter was standing next to our table. He was young and cheerful, evidently oblivious to all tension floating in the air. I didn't even noticed him coming because of the feeling that Siwon might lunge himself at Mario at any second. 

"Mmm... I think I'll just have a Fillet Mignon, please." I forced a smiled and almost sounded too bubbly. 

"Excellent choice." The waiter turned to Siwon and asked, "Sir?" 

"Make that two", Siwon answered with a serious tone. The same tone he used whenever he got mad at before. This couldn't be good...

"And what about you, Sir?" The waiter's talking to Mario now. 

"Go ahead, Mario. Pick anything you want. My treat", Siwon interrupted before Mario could speak. I started to feel the weight of his hand on my shoulder. He's furious. "Think of it as my way of saying thanks to you for taking care of my husband while I was away." 

Mario smirked in his most evil way and said, "No need to thank me, Siwon. It was indeed my pleasure being with Donghae." 

That statement just made Siwon's anger go up another level. My eyes caught his fist closing so tight his knuckles turned white. 

"I'll get a bottle of beer, please." Mario told the waiter with his smirk still pasted on his face. 

"Very well. I'll be back with your orders." The waiter seemed to be glad to get away from that awkward tension he just noticed, because he turned around without smiling or anything. Frankly, I was jealous of the guy on that part. 

"You're very lucky to have Donghae. He's quite a catch." Mario stated as soon as the waiter was out of earshot. 

"I know. That's why many have already tried to steal him from me." Siwon's hand moved from my shoulder to my neck and gave it a passionate massage. 

I looked down on my sweaty nervous palms and tried to stay cool. Siwon's hand felt like fire on my skin. I wanted to shove it away. 

Mario eyed Siwon's hand. "Are you sure? Or is he just trying to run away from you?" 

I shot Mario a look to silence him but he disregarded me and went on. "You know, Siwon, I heard a lot of great stories about you and you seemed like you could be the perfect husband. But I can't help but wonder that if you're so perfect yourself, how come Donghae went to flirt with me the minute you stepped on that plane for your little trip." 

"Don't get too cocky, . You wouldn't like me when I'm angry", Siwon taunted. It didn't sound like just a threat. It was a warning. A fact.

The tables have been turned. Mario was the one now playing Siwon's game. 

I felt fear for myself. For Siwon, that he might not be able to contain himself any longer. And for Mario, that if he soon doesn't realize what he's getting into, he'll end up hurting himself and probably all our careers. And I really couldn’t resist to hating on both of them for putting me on this spot. 

"I'm not scared of you, Siwon. Donghae knows I'm more than the man that you are, if you know what I mean", said Mario. 

And right then, I wanted to stand and just slap his senses out of him. What does he think he's doing? Making up these things to get into Siwon's nerves? Aish...

"You'll regret saying that", Siwon said through gritted teeth. 

"Stop it", I said to the both of them before things gets worse. "Mario, I think it'd better if you just leave." 

Mario opened his mouth and started saying, "But the fun's just about to st---"

"Just leave!" I said loudly and got a few looks from the people sitting near us, but I was just too pissed off to even care. 

"No, Donghae. Let him stay. We'll settle this right here, right now". Siwon finally removed his hand on my shoulder then made tight fists on his lap. 

"Fine. Let's get it on then!" Mario got on his feet and rolled the sleeves of his shirt up. 

Siwon joined him then prepared to attack. "Stop!" I yelled before any of them could make a move. I yelled loud enough to freeze the whole restaurant. 

"Sit down, Siwon!" I pushed him down to his chair. Luckily, he did without complaining. "Mario, for Christ's sake just please fix your shirt and get the hell out of here!" I screamed under my breath. 

Mario huffed out of frustration and said, "Alright, fine. I'll go. But I hope you wake up from this nightmare you are in with this guy, Donghae. I'll be waiting for you." He gave Siwon a last look then stomped to the door. 

I sat back down and tried to catch my breath. As if on cue, the entire restaurant and the people went back to their own business with a light buzz of clinging of silverware and quiet murmurs.

I watched Siwon as he sat quietly beside me. His hands relaxed but still fisted. "Why are you doing, Siwon?" 

"Because I want to", he answered without looking at me. 

I furrowed my eyebrow anxious to get the right answer/s from him. "Why Siwon? Tell me what made you feel the need to do this to me... To us." I was on the verge of crying. I felt so wounded. I was so mad and I had no way of letting it out but to let a tear fall down.

He looked at me. The anger out from his eyes but replaced with something deeper, something more intense. Like vengeance. "Because you've hurt me, Donghae. You've hurt me so bad, I want to punish you for feeling the same in the most civilized way I can think of." 

"U-until when do you plan to... keep doing it?" I stutter the words out of my month. I just couldn't absorb what he just told me. 

"I will do this until the pain is gone, until it hurts no more." His voice low and husky. He sounded determined to do it and I just can't believe what I was hearing. 

I shook my head. "I can't." I shook my head again. "You can't do this to me, Siwon." And again. "I won't let you." I stood up then started walking to the door. I've reached my own limit tonight. This is all too much. I finally had enough. 

Siwon got on his feet and followed me right away. "Donghae", he said my name with a warning edging on his voice. 

I ignored him and paced back to the parking lot. "Donghae, stop!" 

I wiped the tears in my eyes and kept walking. I didn't want to hear his cruel words anymore. 

"Ya, I said stop!" He caught my arm then spun me around to meet his furious stare. 

"What, Siwon?!" I spiked back for the first time tonight. "What do you want from me now?!" 

"Just where do you think you're going?" He looked at me with vengeful eyes. Making his handsome face look dangerous. 

I swallowed a lump on my throat and stood my guard. "I'm leaving! I'm done! I can never take your bull, Siwon!" 

The crease on his forehead softened and his face showed the slightest fear. "You... you can't leave me. No. You belong to me, Hae." His voice pleading but still full of rage. 

"Then claim me, Siwon! Make me yours again!" I felt vulnerable saying those words to him. Like I'm opening myself up for him to see what's truly inside of me. I clung both my arms to his neck and forced him to face me. "Kiss me, Siwon... Look into my eyes and say you love me." 

His tear filled eyes pierced with mine. He opened his mouth and confessed, "I love you, Lee Donghae. But... I can't just forget what you did." 

I touched both his cheek my hands and poured all my heart's love to him through my gaze. "That's not what I'm asking you to do, Siwon. All I want from you is to understand and at least try to give me another chance to make things right again." 

A tear escaped his eye then he looked down. I dropped my hands and cried out, "What do you want me to do, Siwon? I can't live like this for as long as you want. I can't let you torture me like this!" 

He kept his head down and remained speechless. I'm not getting anything from him. Not even the slightest chance of reconciliation. I took that as my cue to go. 

I started walking back my car then again, he followed me. "Where are you going?" 

I opened the car door and said, "Away from you. Away from all of this." 

"I'm not letting you go, Donghae. You're mine." He looked desperate. Like a fallen man caught in up in chaotic situation. 

"I've always been yours, Siwonnie. But I'm not going to let you have me this way." My heart has been made and broken by Siwon throughout our relationship. But this has got to be the worst shock that had ever hit the both of us. And I'm starting to think that this marriage have only led us destroying each other. 

"You can't escape me..." 

"I'm not escaping. I'm just saving the both of us." 

I shook my head. "I'm sorry, Siwon. But I don't think we can be together unless you learn how to understand what I feel." 

Before I got inside the car, Siwon sped towards me and yanked my arm, hauling me to him. "I will find you, Donghae. I will find you and get you back." 

I looked down. It dawned on me that he still doesn't understand my position. I pulled away from him then finally got inside the car. 

He didn't stop me anymore. He just stood there and watched me as I drive away from the parking lot. It crushed me leaving him like that but I figured that if I didn't, then I'll just end up complying to what he has planned and succumb to his wrath. 

 


 

As I was driving downtown and getting lost in my thoughts, I suddenly caught a glimpse of Mario walking idly on the sidewalk. He looked beat and tired. 

I thought of driving pass him but my conscience got to me. So I pulled over to where he was and rolled down the windows. "Get in, Mario!" 

He stopped walking but didn't face me. He just looked straight ahead. 

Ugh. He's being stubborn again. Am I suddenly the only one who thinks maturely in this world?! "You know it's a long way down to your hotel, right?" 

"I can walk", he replied bluntly. 

I don't have the energy for this anymore. Why can't he just it up like a man?! He is just like Siwon. "Just get in the car, Mario." 

He hesitated but then he looked at me then his face lightened. He exhaled deeply then took my offer.


Mario and I were both utterly quiet while on the road. But I was honestly fine with it. I was in no mood to make chit-chat. I just averted my attention in driving and keeping devastating thoughts off my mind. 

But after almost an hour of silence it became really uncomfortable. So I decided to speak up. "I'm sorry", I uttered softly. 

He was hushed for a few seconds then asked, "For what?" 

"For what happened back there. I didn't mean to shout at you like that. And for getting you involved in this mess."

"Oh. That. It's fine. I thought you're apologizing for the other thing..." 

"What other thing?" 

"Breaking my heart."  

I stole a glance at him and he was just sitting still beside me. With no reaction on his or whatsoever. "Mario. You know I never wanted to do that." 

He sighed heavily. "What happened to that jerk you call a husband? I'm sure he didn't let you off easy." 

"I left him." 

"For good?" His tone elevated indicating his delight with what he thought I just said. 

"No. Just to give him space and make him realize some things”, I explained.   

Mario nodded slowly. 

I turned right to the corner and finally reached his hotel. "Here you are." 

I stopped the car then Mario shifted on his seat and said, "Thanks for the ride, Donghae. I hope this won't be the last." 

Seeing his childlike aura back made me smile softly in the darkness of my car. 

Mario reached a hand to my cheek and caressed it. "Siwon is stupid for chasing you away like that." 

"He didn't chase me away." 

"His anger and hunger for revenge", Mario figured it out for me. 

He put his hand down then stepped out of the car. "Goodnight, Hae." 

I smiled then started the engine again and made up my mind to go on with my journey. 

While I was on the road, I chose to go to safest place I know. I will drive away to the place where no one can hurt or scare or make me mad.

For once, I know I'm on the right path. 


I parked outside a very familiar place. My connection with this neighborhood is undeniably strong. 

It was eleven in the evening and everybody seemed to be asleep. The calmness of the dark streets soothed out my dreadful emotions. Finally, home...

I rang the doorbell a few times before someone finally answered it. The door opened and I smiled weakly to the person I was just expecting to welcome me. 

"Donghae?" Omma looked at with me worry in her eyes. She was in her old robe wrapped around her night gown. 

"Omma." I didn't waste any second and I just leaned forward to hug her. I very much needed one from anybody but hers is the one I longed for. 

Tears started rolling down my cheeks as she rubbed my back. She just stood there and held her son without saying anything. 

She didn't ask why I was back all of a sudden in the middle of the night. It's like she already understood the pain I was going through. Omma knew. 

She walked me to my old bedroom, tucked me inside my blanket then cradled my head on her lap. She brushed the hair off my face while I tried to get a hold of myself. She made me feel like a big baby, but I didn’t care. I was so lost and beaten down and just felt so good to be with her again.

I cried and wept to the touch of my mother. "I messed up, Omma. I'm sorry..." 

"Shh... Just go to sleep. Everything will be better tomorrow." 

I trusted everything that Omma says is right. I believe her. But I have to cross my fingers on this one. Because right now, my relationship with Siwon does not seem to have a better tomorrow.

All it has now a blurry past and one messed up present.