A Mario State of Mind

Until It Hurts No More

Donghae's P.O.V. 

 

A Mario state of mind

 

Before dropping him off last night at his hotel, Mario made me agree to let him watch me and the guys at our dance rehearsal today. I wanted to refuse, but he pleaded and pleaded in the most annoying way. I gave up because it became almost unbearable. People say I'm a kid at heart, and I agree to that. But compared to Mario, I'm a full grown-up adult. He is the kind of person who will charm and plot you into giving in to what he wants. I hate to admit it but it works on me all the time. Somehow, his coy smile and dynamic persona became hard for me to resist. 

It's funny how only a few days ago, I was stricken by Mario's odd gestures and was trying to shut him off my mind. And here I am now spending time with him in the most unexpected ways. First, I had a not-so delightful lunch with him. Next, he paid me a visit in my workplace and spent the rest of the evening stargazing together. Now, he's sitting in the corner as I let him watch me practice a dance routine. 

It was quite awkward that every time I catch a glimpse of him he's eyes are on me. I am fond of having people watch me dance but it suddenly became a new thing for me knowing that Mario is there. I did everything carefully, not wanting to miss a single step. I don't know why, but a sudden need to impress Mario dawned on me. He wasn't even doing anything to make me feel cautious about my actions. He's just sitting there with an amused expression on his face. Which I should be used to by now. 

When Leeteuk-hyung called for a  five minute break, I went to get my water bottle in my duffel bag, which by chance was placed next to where Mario was. I drank from my bottle then Mario opened his mouth and said, "I'm enjoying the show. All of you are really good." 

I put my bottle down and replied, "Thanks. We've been doing this for seven years now. We ought to be good." 

He looked at me. "Seven years? So that's how long you have been friends with them then?" 

I shook my head then hugged my knees. Watching idly the guys around the room, avoiding Mario's stare. "Not exactly. I've been friends with some of them longer than that. Like Teukkie-hyung for example. I've known him since I was 12 years old." 

"That's a long time. You guys must have a pretty special relationship." 

His eyes were still on me so I pretended to tighten my shoelaces. "Of course. He's like an older brother to me. If not, a father even."

"Oh." He cleared his throat. "How about Eunhyuk?" What are these questions for? Why is he suddenly interested on my relationships with the members? 

"Mmm... Eunhyuk's my best friend. He's my partner in crime. We're like the Chip and Dale of the group." I turned my gaze to Hyukkie as he and Shindong-hyung laughs about something.

"I see... And Siwon?" 

Mario finally caught my attention. I looked back at him, surprised. "Siwon?" 

"Yeah." He nodded. 

I sighed to myself. "Siwon's my---" 

"Break's over! Back to work, guys!" Teukkie-hyung shouted and the rest of the guys got on their feet.  

I gave Mario a small smile and said, "Err... I have to go."

I stood up then hurried back to the floor. Why did I feel nervous answering Mario's last question? Why couldn't I tell him proudly that Siwon is my husband? I'm starting to get confused with myself. What is it with Mario that makes me unsure of everything? 


The rehearsals ended after an hour, which felt like an eternity. And Mario said goodbye to us before we got to the showers. "Thank you for letting me watch you guys practice today. I enjoyed it."

Then Hyuk said, "Yeah, sure. You can always stop by if you want to".

"Thank you. I'll see you around". Mario went to around to shake everybody's hand then we got to me, he gave me a wink then messed my hair up with his hand. 

Aish! I scowled at him while I fixed it back. Just leave, you rascal. 

He smiled at me then went out of the room. I headed to the shower room with the guys to wash all the sweat from long hours of dancing. While dressing up, Teukkie-hyung invited us to go clubbing since he won't be able to do it when he enters the army in the few weeks. All of us agreed to go and changed into our casual clothes. 

We went down together to the lobby to get our cars at the parking lot. Then we were surprised to see Mario still at SMent talking to Manager-hyung and Seon U. 

We approached them in pack and greeted them. While Manager-hyung checked on how our rehearsals went, I pulled Mario and asked him, "What are you still doing here? You said goodbye like 30 minutes ago?"

"I know. But I waited here for Seon U to pick me up then we bumped into your manager. They started chatting and you know how these two talk and never run out of anything to say." 

I nodded. Then Teukkie-hyung came up with an idea. "Hey, since you're still here, maybe you should come with us tonight? It's my last night out with these guys. It'll be nice to have you two join in the fun", he said to Seon U and Mario. 

Then Manager-hyung added, "Yes, Seon U! Just like the old times huh?" They laughed together then Hyung continued, "Besides, Mario needs to see how the nightlife goes here in Seoul." 

All heads turned to Mario and with the slightest hint, I saw his awkwardness. He nodded his head and said, "Sure. That sounds like fun." 

We caught each other's eyes then he gave me an embarrassed look. On a spur of moment, I saw the boy in him. It's as if the Mario I despised the first few days, had vanished. 


We decided to go to Club Ellui, the most famous hotspot in Seoul and considered as the biggest one in Asia. The atmosphere's really great. The music was good, a mix of Korean and Western songs. But as always, it was really loud. 

We got a private table then Teukkie-hyung ordered large buckets of Soju and beer. We all grabbed a bottle then Kangin-hyung held up his and shouted, "Cheers to Leeteukkie and his enlisting to army!" 

We raised our bottles and said, "Cheers!" 

After having alcohol in their system, some of the guys headed to the dance floor and danced with the pretty white girls. Ryeowook, Kyuhyun and I being the awkward ones, decided to stay at the table. Together with Manager-hyung, Seon u and of course, Mario, who is looking super bored on his seat. 

I was about to take the empty spot next to him but Kyuhyun scooted there first. "Hey, Mario. How are you liking Korea so far?" 

I tried hard to listen amidst the loud music. He smiled politely at Kyuhyun and said, "It's great. I love it here. The food's awesome and people are really nice." 

Kyuhyun patted Mario's back. "That's good!" He reached a bottle of Soju then handed it to Mario. "Here. Try this."

Mario eyed the bottle with curiosity. "What's that?"

"It's called Soju. It's a locally made drink. It's just like Vodka, only sweeter. You have to try it." Kyuhyun forced the bottle into Mario's hand. Oh, he's so drunk. 

Mario looked at me and smiled, feeling silly next to Kyuhyun. I smiled back and gave an approving nod to him. He drew his head back and took a big gulp from the bottle. 


Two hours and six buckets of Soju after, Wookie and Kyuhyun passed out on the couch, and the guys are still lost in the dancefloor. While Manager-hyung and Seon U were laughing hysterically at something I don't know, with their faces red as tomatoes. Next to them was Mario arms crossed in front of his chest, still looking bored. 

I felt bad for the guy so I decided to come up to him. "You seem to be having the time of your life!" I teased. 

He turned to me and chuckled. "How can you tell? I was trying to hide it, actually." 

I laughed. "Why don't you drink some more or go dancing? Have fun!" 

He exhaled heavily. "Nah. I'm not really into this scene." 

"Oh." I looked down on my bottle. 

He nudged me with his elbow. "Why aren't you dancing yourself?" 

I shook my head and explained, "I'm not really comfortable with the idea of dancing around strangers in the dark." 

"Same here." 

I caught the time from my watch. It's almost two in the morning. I'm way past my curfew! I leaned a little close to Mario and said, "Hey. I have to go. You enjoy the night, okay?" 

I stood up then took a step from him. "Hey, wait!" He grabbed my wrist and looked up at me. "Take me with you."  

He stood next to me and put his jacket back on. I frowned at him. "I can't take you home with me!" 

"Why not?" His fingers still wrapped around my wrist 

"I just can't." Damn. Why can't I just tell him I'm married?

He shrugged. "Fine. Just bring me back to my hotel then." 

I raised an eyebrow at him. "And leave your friend, Seon U?"

"Yeah. He looks like he's still having fun with hid buddy."

We both looked at Seon U and Manager-hyung, who's now playing some drinking game they probably played back in their college days. "You can't leave him, Mario. He'll worry if you suddenly went missing. And besides, he's clearly drunk. He's your responsibility. These guys", I gestured to Wookie and Kyuhyun. "They're used to this. They can take care of themselves." 

"Alright. I'll drag Seon U out then. I just can't take another minute in here." He finally let go of me and said, "Wait a sec." He went to his friend and whispered something to him. Then he grabbed both of Seon U's arms and forced to him to get up. Since Seon U was so drunk he didn't have the strength to pull back. So instead, he just leaned into Mario's hold and followed him. Mario half carried his friend to me and gave me a smug. "Let's go?" 


Mario and I had push Seon U at the back seat because he kept falling down. While I was driving Seon U kept grunting and whimpering as if he was in pain. 

Mario laughed next to me while I felt nervous. "Oh, please don't let him vomit in my car..." I prayed aloud.

"Aish!" Seon U cried then he kicked the back of Mario's seat. "Why did we have to leave so early?! I was still having fun."

Mario chuckled. "You've had too much fun, Seon U." 

"Pssh... No way! Admit it. You just want to go with your precious Donghae again!" Seon U hissed followed by a silly drunken laugh. Did I hear thar right? Precious Donghae? Where did that came from?

Mario turned around to hit Seon U. "Shut up, Seon U." 

"What?! You never stop talking about him since the night you met him right?" Seon U laughed again. 

"That's enough, Seon U." Mario froze next to me. His fist tightened on his lap. 

"Donghae is so adorable! Donghae is amazing! Oh, marry me Donghae", mocked Seon U. 

"That's it!" Mario lunged himself at the back and attacked Seon U. 

"Hey!" In shock, I lost control of the car for a second and accidentally swerved to the next lane. When I got a hold of it again, I grabbed the end of Mario's shirt and pulled him back to his seat. 

Mario took a deep breath while Seon U tamed down at the back. The guy is so drunk... "Sorry. Just ignore what he said." 

I fixed my eyes on the road. "Err..." I did an awkward laugh. "Yeah. People make up silly things when they're drunk."

Mario looked at me and whispered, "I said ignore them. I didn't say they weren't true." My body stiffened. Woah! Was I supposed to hear that? 

Thank god, we've finally reached the hotel and Mario uttered,"Here we are." I pulled over then he got out to help Seon U at the back. I decided to stay in the car and thought about everything I heard just now. Mario knocked on the window so I pressed a button and it slid down. 

While holding up Seon U with his arms, he said, "Thanks for the ride." He said with a sheepish smile. 

I smiled back and nodded. "Sure."

"Goodnight, Fishy." He waved. Fishy? I smiled. He must've heard the guys call me that. 

"Goonight, Mario." I turned the engine back on and I headed home. 


I only realized that my smile never faded away when I reached the apartment. It was a good day. A lot of unexpected things happened but I had a swell time anyways. I'm glad Mario and I are finally getting along. 

I went to room and began preparing for bed. I emptied out my pockets. I placed my keys, my wallet and my cell phone on the side table. I noticed that my cell phone was blinking so I checked on it. I opened the screen and it flashed. '5 missed calls and 1 voice mail from My Husband'

Oh god. Siwon! I forgot he said that he'll call me tonight! So stupid, Hae... I clicked on the voice mail and listened to it. Siwon's deep and soothing voice came out from the speaker and it said, "Hey, babe. I'm here in Taipei now. The promotions are doing well and people seem to like the show so far. I've been trying to call you, but you seem to be busy at the moment. Anyway, I just called to check on you and hear your voice. I know you miss me, my love. And I miss you a lot too. But don't fret, I'm coming home pretty soon. I can't wait to go home and be with you again. I love you, Hae. Bye." 

I fell back on the bed. I wanted to cry. It just sinked in to me how much I miss him. Hearing his voice is painful, knowing that we're thousand miles apart. I want to see him, kiss him and make love with him. But what am I doing? I hardly think of my own husband anymore. 

I'm so lost. Mario makes me forget everything else whenever I'm with him. He steals all my attention and he makes me feel like... I'm not married at all. But why do I let all these things happen? Why do I always feel uneasy whenever I'm with him? 

I was in denial but the answer lies in front of me all along. I tried to shake it off my mind and ignore the possibility. But it's clear to me now and I didn't have to say it. I think I'm... I'm starting to like Mario.