Chapter 18

More Than Family

 

During lunch, I had finally made a decision to tell Myungsoo. I walked to his table and asked if I could talk to him.

“Sure.” he got up and we walked to an empty hallway.

“I need to talk to you.” I said.

“Talk away.”

“You see...Siwan and I are kind of...together.”

Myungsoo sighed and tilted his head back. “Looks like I was too late huh?”

“What?”

“I knew from the second you told me you guys aren't blood-related that he loved you. He's a little too close to you for siblings...I was hoping I'd win your heart before he does.”

“I'm sorry. Let's remain as friends, okay?”

His eyes turned sad but he nodded anyways and turned to leave.

 

I eventually went to the cafeteria and sat next to Siwan. Lunch went by quickly and I made my way to class.

“Eun Byul! Why didn't you sit with us?! With Myungsoo again?” Sun Mi teased.

“No, I was with Siwan. We aren't dating guys. I don't like him like that.” I told them.

“Really? Then do you mind if I...ask him out?” Eun Ji asked.

My eyes widened. “You like him?”

She nodded. “He helped me pick up my books today.” So that was her...

I smiled. “Go for it girl!”

She giggled and turned back around.

 

Siwan and I walked home together. We were cuddling on the couch when our parents came home. We quickly scooted away from each other.

“Hey kids.” our mom waved to us.

We waved back. “You're home early today.” I said.

They nodded. “We met up for lunch and decided to take the rest of the evening off.”

 

“We should tell them.” Siwan said to me, once they left the room.

“What no!”

“They're gonna have to find out sooner or later.”

“I choose later.”

“What are you so afraid of? It's not like they're going to kill us! We love each other. They should understand that.”

“We can tell them.”

“Good, let's go.”

“When I'm ready.”

He sighed. “And when will you be ready? I don't like sneaking around like this. I want to hold your hand. I want to kiss you whenever I want. I want to hold you in my arms and not be afraid for the wrong person to see.”

I bit my lip.

“But--”

“I don't care anymore Eun Byul. I'm telling them, right now. No matter what you say.” he stormed out of the room to the kitchen where my parents were looking through the mail.

I ran after him.

 

When my mom spotted us, she smiled and asked, “What do you want for dinner tonight?”

“Mom, Dad. Eun Byul and I are dating.” Siwan stated and took my hand.

Their heads snapped up and their eyes widened.

It was silent.

Suddenly my mom pushed my dad's shoulder. “I told you that waiting til they told us was a better idea!”

“WHAT?!” Siwan and I yelled.

“Y-you guys knew?” I asked.

They nodded.

“We were your age once. We're not that dumb either.” our dad said, chuckling.

Siwan and I were speechless. So they knew this whole time?

 

“And you guys are okay with it?” Siwan asked.

“Why wouldn't we be? We'd rather Eun Byul date you than just any other guy. We know you'd treat her right. I kinda saw this coming anyways. We didn't really think about the future when we adopted a kid the same age as our daughter...” Mom said, flipping through the phone book.

How can they be so calm about this?!

“Well we're going to go now.” Siwan gestured towards the living room.

“Yeah yeah...”

“We'll be alone...in a room...together.” I emphasized.

“Have fun.”

“And possibly making out...” Siwan added.

“Just use protection.”

My face turned bright red as Siwan stared at our mother in disbelief.

They really did accept us.

Now nothing could bring us apart.