12

.the cupcake that brought us together.

The day has finally come and Kyungsoo was more than ready to get out to be with his boyfriend. He brought his bags down and placed them near the door.

'Hm, Kai won't be here for another 20 minutes. Erm, I'll make something for us to eat.' Kyungsoo hummed to himself and skipped to the kitchen.

"Oh, hello dad."

Kyungsoo's father looked up from his newspaper and smiled at his son. "Good morning to you too. Do you have all of your things?"

"Hm." Kyungsoo nodded. "I do. I'm just going to make something for Kai and I."

"Okay. Oh! Actually, I have some cookies. I got them yesterday when I came home. They are good. Maybe Kai would like some." Kyungsoo's father leaned in his seat and grabbed the box of cookies.

"Oh," Kyungsoo inspected them; he nodded his head and opened the box, grabbing  a cookie and eating it. "Thats a good cookie. Yeah, I'll take some -- "

"Take the whole box. I don't mind."

"Thank you." Kyungsoo placed the box on the table. "I'm sure Kai will like it." With that, he wiped his hands on his pants, and walked over to the sink and wash his hands. He got out some ham and bread, and started to make a sandwich. Once me made two, he heard a knock on the door.

"I got it." Kyungsoo told his father as he exited the room. Once he opened the door, he smiled once he saw Kai standing in front of him. "Hello there." He beamed at the other.

"Hello to you too." Kai smiled. He leaned over and gave Kyungsoo a little peck on the cheek. "Are you ready?"

"Hm." Kyungsoo leaned over and grabbed his bags. "They are all here."

"I'll take it to the car."

"You have a car?"

"Hm." Kai nodded.

"B-but I thought we were --"

"Nope. Luhan lent me his car. Its all good."

"Oh, okay." Kyungsoo gave his bags to Kai. "Thank you. Oh, I made some food for us and my dad gave us some cookies."

"Thats nice of him and you too." Kai smiled. "I'll be back okay." With that Kai carried Kyungsoo's bags, back to the car.

Kyungsoo smiled himself and went back to the kitchen to grab the snacks. "Dad, Kai is here."

"Oh okay," Kyungsoo's father got up from the stool. "Be safe, both of you."

"We will." He waved goodbye to his father and headed out, closing the door in the process. He jogged towards Kai and gave him a back hug.

"We can go now." Kyungsoo said, releasing his hug from Kai.

"Oh, okay then." Kai opened the door for Kyungsoo.

'What a gentleman.' Kyungsoo thought to himself. "Thank you."

Kai nodded and closed the door once Kyungsoo got inside. The youngest of the two went over the driver side and started the car. As they started to drive, the chatted for a bit; Kai could tell that Kyungsoo was very excited to come. He knew nothing can ruin this day.

--- (KAISOO) --- (KAISOO) --- (KAISOO) ---

"Whoa!" Kyungsoo looked up at the hotel that they were staying at. "EXO hotel? This looks really fancy Kai." He said, looking over his shoulder.

"Nah, its fine." Kai said, opening the back of the car, grabbing their things. 'All thanks to everyone.' He passed his keys towards the valet and both walked into the hotel; he went to the check in and were given their room keys.

"Thank you for staying in the EXO hotel. Enjoy!" The lady on the other side of the counter told them.

"Thank you." Kai grabbed the keys and handed them to Kyungsoo. They walked to the elevator to the 3rd level; they walked for a bit until they came across room 310.

"Here we are." Kyungsoo slid the key in and opened the door. Their room was a one bedroom room, with a soft green as the wall color. It gave a relaxing feel for Kyungsoo. He helped Kai with the bags and they looked around the room.

"Whoa! The blankets look so fluffy!" Kyungsoo dropped his bag and jumped on the bed. He started to roll around, making Kai chuckle.

'Ah, he so cute.'

He checked his watch and was surprised at the time. "Oh!"

"Hm?" Kyungsoo looked over his shoulder. "Whats wrong?"

"Erm, I planned something for us." He picked up a backpack, which contained all of the kitchen utensils and such that he bought for Kyungsoo. "We will be late if we don't leave now."

"You planned something?"

"Yeah." We quickly walked over Kyungsoo and pulled him up from the bed. "Lets go."

"O-okay." 'I wonder what it is…'

--- (KAISOO) --- (KAISOO) --- (KAISOO) ---

"Erm…Kai…why did you have me blindfolded?" Kyungsoo placed his hands on his eyes, only to have Kai brushed them away.

"Its a surprise." He told the older.

Kyungsoo hummed in response, but had a weird feeling in his stomach. He felt Kai grab a hold of his hand, pulling him forward. "Where are we going?" Kyungsoo asked; he knew that they were outside, on the sidewalk most likely, due to the noises from the cars and people. It made him even more cautious of his surroundings.

"Like I said…it is a surprise." He chuckled.

"Okay." 'This is weird…Ah, Kyungsoo just brush it off okay?'

Kai continued to pull Kyungsoo, looking at his watch to make sure that they weren't going to be late. With his free hand, he adjusted the backpack that he was carrying. After walking a couple blocks and telling Kyungsoo that they were almost at the location where Kai was taking them, the younger informed the other that they were here, a convention center with a stadium where the contest is going to be held.

"It's so loud." 'Are we at the carnival?' Kyungsoo thought.

"Yeah, I know." Kai looked over his shoulder to make sure that Kyungsoo wasn't peaking through. Thankfully, he wasn't. "Just hold on okay." Soon, the noises died down, with only chatters here and there.

"Kyungsoo," They came to a stop and the older was about to bring the blindfold down, only to have Kai stop him from doing so. "Not yet. But, I want you to stay here okay."

"Huh?" 'What does he mean about that?'

"Just stay here and don't move. I won't be long and where I am going is not that far. Just stay here…okay?"

"O-okay."

Kyungsoo heard footsteps disappear and the chatter continued. He stepped back only to feel that he hit a wall. 'Hm?' Kyungsoo pressed his hand back and confirmed that it was a smooth wall that he hit.

Meanwhile, Kai ran over to the registration table. "Hi there. Um, I'm here to register for the pastry contest."

"Hm." The man before him nodded. "What is the name please?"

"Do Kyungsoo." Kai said.

"Okay. Kyung…soo. Hm…yup you are right here." The man pointed out. He grabbed a blank badge and started to write the name down in neat penmanship.

"Ah…actually, it isn't me…but my boyfriend."

"Oh, I'm sorry about that. I just assumed that it was you." He gave an apologetic nod.

"It's fine. So…how much is the registration fee?" Kai asked, as he was grabbing his wallet and glancing back at Kyungsoo standing where he was told to.

"The total is 65,197.80 won." The man told him, giving the badge with Kyungsoo's name neatly written and stamped with the seal of the pastry contest.

Kai nodded and took out the money and handed it over to man. "Thank you."

"Would you like a pamphlet?"

"A what?"

"Hm," The man leaned over in his seat and grabbed a pamphlet; he pointed at the scheduling on the pamphlet. "It doesn't start yet…you guys have 15 minutes to get ready and such. Among everyone, only 32 are advancing. Tomorrow, those 32 will compete again and only 16 will advance. Then on the last day it will be quarter, semis, and the finals."

"So…quater, semis, and finals?"

"Yeah. In the quarter finals, there will be 8 finalists. Semis have 4…and as you can guess…finals have two." He smiled at the other.

"What a long day."

The man nodded. "Yeah. There are short breaks in between in the last day."

"I see." Kai looked at the pamphlet. "Thanks for this…erm,…"

"Seonhee." He shook hands with Kai. "Seonhee is my name."

"Kai. Ah, thank you Seonhee." Kai looked back to see Kyungsoo was about to take off his blindfold. "I have to go." He bowed at the other. "Thank you once again. See you around." With that, he left and quickly made his way to Kyungsoo.

"Ah, ah, ah." He brushed Kyungsoo's hand away from his blindfold. "Just hold on for a bit okay. We are almost there."

"O-okay…but where did you go?"

"I just needed to get something." He grabbed onto Kyungsoo's hand. "Almost there Kyungsoo…okay?"

"Hm." Kyungsoo replied.

--- (KAISOO) --- (KAISOO) --- (KAISOO) ---

Kyungsoo furrowed his brow, even though the blindfold was still covering his eyes. He heard major chattering and echoing. As if they were in the stadium of some sort. 'Where are we now?'

"Kai, I'm --"

"It's almost time." Kyungsoo heard Kai say.

'Huh? Whats time? Whats going on?'

Soon, he felt Kai taking the blindfold off. Kyungsoo blinked a couple of times, trying to adjust to the new lighting.

"Here."

He felt Kai pushing some soft material in his hands. "Eh?" He realized it was an apron. Even more confused he looked up, only to widen his eyes when he saw the big monitors displaying the words 'Pastry contest 2013.'

"Wha…" 'He brought me…to the pastry contest?!'

"Kyungsoo hurry and wear this." Kai grabbed the apron from Kyungsoo's hands and started to put it on him. Kai chuckled a bit when looking at the print of the apron; he remembered that he was in such a rush that he just picked whatever was on the pile. It happened to have an illustration of a robotic cat head with words above his head 'fighting'. Once he made a perfect bow, he turned a confused Kyungsoo around and pinned the badge on Kyungsoo, just on top where his heart was.

"What are we doing --"

"You are on Kyungsoo." He leaned over and gave a good luck peck on Kyungsoo's lips.

"Wait wha --" But was interrupted when he was pushed into the center of the stadium where among the others were standing near their stations, holding onto the backpack that Kai handed him. Kyungsoo looked like he was going to cry; he had no clue what to do or what to feel, but for sure, he was angry at Kai.

"You need help?"

Kyungsoo turned to see a pretty girl, giving a worried look towards Kyungsoo. He noticed that she had a badge, just like him, with her name Hyelim with an 'aka Lime' on the bottom. "Um…I --"

"Oh, so your Kyungsoo."

"Huh? How do you…oh…right." He placed his hand over his badge. "My name is on it."

Hyelim chuckled. "Yeah. Your station is right next to mine. I was wondering when he was going to show up."

"The stations…have names on it?"

She nodded. "Yup. Thats why they want you to register and such. So they can prepare the stations. See." She motioned at Kyungsoo's station, which had his name on it, perfectly designed.

"Oh."

"May we have the makers take their place near their stations please." The host said through the mic.

Hyelime beamed and gently pushed Kyungsoo to stand near his stand.

"Welcome makers to Pastry Contest of 2013! I'm Chanhee, your host this year and I am excited to see what everyone can create! We have special guests with us today, 3 of the 5 japanese singers, Amu, Clear, and Dasoku from PointFive." The crowd cheered and clapped, as the three boys waved at the crowd. "As well we have with us the master pastry makers, Mathieu LeBlanc from France and Valentina Leitner from Austria." Again the crowd clapped and cheered. "For this round," Chanhee looked through his index cards for the notes. "All the makers must create a dessert with chocolate as the dominant ingredient." He smiled at them. "Okay? Everyone has two hours to make their piece! We will be walking around and inspecting you guys as you work. Good luck everyone and time starts…now!"

A bell went off, making Kyungsoo slightly jump. Everyone started to gather things; Kyungsoo looked around, unsure what to do. He was deer in the headlights.

"I would get starting if I were you." Kyungsoo turned to see Mathieu LeBlanc, who spoke to him in perfect Korean. "Hm? Don't want to waste time son."

"R-right!" Kyungsoo looked around and noticed that everyone had their utensils and such, but he doesn't. 'I don't have any -- huh?'  When he placed his hands on the backpack that Kai gave him, he heard a rustling sound. He opened the back to see brand new kitchen supplies. 'Did…Kai…' He shook his head. 'I have to get started!'

With time passing, everyone around Kyungsoo made excellent desserts, from Chocolate Cream-Filled Cupcake to grilled chocolate sweetheart to even chocolate-espresso pots de creme. He was started to doubt what he created.

Soon the bell rang indicating that time is up.

'Hm.' Kyungsoo grew nervous; his hand started to sweat and tremble a bit. 'What if they don't like it…still why did Kai do this when I strictly said that I don't want to be here. He knew…he knew and yet he does this?!' He narrowed his eyes.

Before he knew it, Chanhee and the rest of the group were next to Hyelim, tasting her Chocolate fudge cheesecake.

'Oh crap…I'm next!'

"Do Kyungsoo?"

"A-ah! Y-yeah. Thats me. Um, p-present."

Chanhee chuckled and asked what he created within the time given. "I-I made um, hot chocolate f-fudge cake."

The guests judges took a bit, nodding their heads at each other and talking quietly to each other about Kyungsoo's dessert.

'What are they talking about.' Kyungsoo whined a bit.

Valentina placed a tiny green flag on Kyungsoo's table. 'Whats that for?' He looked up to see to see Valentina smiling at him. Chanhee and the rest of the guests judges moved their way to the stands.

"We would like to announce those that are advancing to the next round. The round of 32!"

Chanhee started to list some names, getting claps from the crowds and exciting cheers from those that advanced. There were only two spots left and Kyungsoo felt defeated. He scoffed a bit; he knew that it was going to end like this.

"Kim Hyelim, you pass to the next round!"

Kyungsoo turned to his station mate and smiled at her. "Good job, Hyelim."

Hyelim gave Kyungsoo a hug and thanked him. Kyungsoo sighed, awaiting for the next name to be called.

"And our last maker to advance is…Do Kyungsoo!"

Kyungsoo looked up when he heard his name being called. 'I…I got in? I advanced?' He felt Hyelim jump towards him and gave him a tight hug.

"You got in too Kyungsoo!"

The older was still at a daze; he still couldn't believe that he advanced to the next round. Once Hyelim released her hug, Kyungsoo then felt another hug; he turned to see Kai smiling and congratulating him.

"Congrats to those that made it and I'm sorry for those that couldn't make it. Tomorrow, the competition will start at 10am. Don't be late or you will be disqualified! For the time being, Master LeBlanc and Master Leitner have created some of their desserts and everyone is welcome to sample. It will be located in the Wonder Ball room, just outside of the stadium to your left."

The crowds as well as the makers made their way out of the stadium as quickly as possible. Hyelim undid her apron and folded it. "Are you going Kyungsoo?" She asked as she was putting her apron in her tote back.

"Um…I'll think about it…its been a long day you know?" Kyungsoo gave her a small smile.

"I know what you mean." She brushed some of her bangs to the side. "I guess I'll see you tomorrow then. Have a good rest of the day." She waved, in which Kyungsoo waved back. Once she was out of sight, Kyungsoo turned around and undid his apron.

"Aren't you happy Kyungsoo?" Kai asked with an excited tone. "I knew coming here --"

"You signed me up?" He roughly threw the apron on the station table. "You did this?" He said in an angry tone.

"I…erm, well I registered you…and with the help of Kevin, Onew, Luhan, and everyone…t-they helped with the money and such. For the hotel that we are staying at and the kitchen supplies that were needed for the competition."

"They gave you money?! Oh my god…does my dad know about this?! He is going to kill --"

"No! He doesn't know. He just thinks that we are in the center of the city…which isn't a lie…it is true you know. We are in the center --"

"I told you that I didn't want to do this. I repeated multiple times and yet you do this?! And…and you lied to me too." Kyungsoo frowned at the other. "I was hoping that this weekend would just be you and I…but…b-but --"

"And we can still have that! Look, Kyungsoo, I did this because I want you to -- Hey! Wait!"

Kyungsoo quickly ran passed the younger, out the door. Kai tried to run to the other, but their things were going to be left behind. 'Kyungsoo.' He brushed some of his hair back and groaned. 'I knew this would happen. I'll let him cool off.' He started to bite his nails, which he knew was a bad habit to get into in the first place.

'Was this really a bad idea?'

--- (KAISOO) --- (KAISOO) --- (KAISOO) ---

"Stupid Kai." Kyungsoo walked on the sidewalk, crossing his arms in the process. He was greatly disappointed in what Kai did. He lied to him and he managed to let the others pitch in the with money. Everyone knew that he didn't want to do this; shouldn't they respect his wishes? 'I can't believe he lied to me. I hate when people lie to me…' He sniffed a bit. 'But…Kyungsoo…you got in to the next round…out of everyone…you got in…aren't you suppose to be happy?' He pondered bit on what he said. 'No! Kai lied to you! Your own boyfriend lied to you and disrespected your wishes when you strictly said that you didn't want to go.' Kyungsoo nodded.

He felt a vibrate in his pants pocket. He took out his cell phone and groaned. "Great. My cell is out of battery. Just great."

Soon, he felt his stomach growl. "Now I'm hungry." He looked around and found a food stand. 'Please let me have cash. Please let me have cash.' Kyungsoo reached into his pocket and found 10,846 won. He smiled brightly and went over to the vendor.

"Hello there." The lady gave him a sweet smile. "What would you like?"

"Hm, this please?" Kyungsoo held up 3 fingers. "Three please?"

The lady nodded and grabbed three chicken skewers. "That will be --"

'Please under 10,846 won! Please under 10,846 won!!'

"7,049.90 won --"

"Yes!" Kyungsoo quickly covered his mouth and apologized. "I'm just hungry. Sorry ma'am."

"I-its fine." She chuckled "Here you go." She handed Kyungsoo the food, while he paid her.  He got his change and bid farewell to the vendor.

'Hm!!' Kyungsoo ripped apart the food with his teeth. He was truly starving. He found a bench and made his way over to sit down.

He pondered a bit; still he was mad at Kai for doing this, but then again, he was happy that he advanced. 'Should I forgive Kai.' He tapped his stick against his lip. 'I mean…whats done is done.' He sighed and continued to eat his chicken skewers.

Once he was finished with food, he threw them away at a near by trashcan. He looked up at the sky and it was still day out. 'I might as well go back…and apologize.' Kyungsoo stood up and started to head back. 'Erm…' He looked back and forth. 'Don't tell me…I'm lost?!'

--- (KAISOO) --- (KAISOO) --- (KAISOO) ---

Kai was in the hotel room, sitting on the chair tapping the table with his index finger. 'Kyungsoo…where are you?' He was starting to get worried; ever since Kyungsoo ran out, it was mid afternoon, but now it was 19:45. 'Oh god,' He placed his elbows on top of his knees, leaning over his chair. 'What if he got kidnapped? What if he is lost?' Kai grabbed his cell phone and started to dial Kyungsoo's cell once again. 'Why does he have it off?!' He threw his cell phone on the bed.

Soon, he heard the door open; quickly he turned his head, hoping that it was the person that he longed for. Kai's eyes widen and immediately stood up from his chair. "There you are!"

Kyungsoo jumped a bit, and gently closed the door behind him. "H-hi."

Kai ran over to Kyungsoo and embraced him with a tight hug. He pulled back and cupped his cheeks. "Where were you? Why did you have your cellphone off? Did you eat? Did you have money at all? Did --" The younger was interrupted with a small chuckle coming from Kyungsoo.

"I'm fine. I ate."

"Okay…next question…why was your cell phone off? I was worried and I know that you are mad at me, but at least answer -- "

"Its dead." Kyungsoo blinked at him with his adorable eyes.

"D-dead?" Kai blinked as well.

"Hm," Kyungsoo fished out his cell phone and showed Kai that it wasn't turning on. "It died on me when I was walking. And I got lost…" Kyungsoo rubbed the back of his neck. "Thats why it took me awhile to get back…no one was willing to help me…but I made it safe and sound."

Kai nodded, now relieved that the older came back, he gave me a hug once again. They stood there for a while; Kai on Kyungsoo's head, while the other wrapped his arms around the younger by the waist. Kyungsoo mumbled some words, incoherent for the other.

"Hm?"

"I said that I'm sorry." Kyungsoo said a little bit louder this time. "I'm sorry for yelling…I'm just sorry. I know that you…you were looking out for me…and I know that you were doing what was best for me. It was my fault for acting out." He bit the inside of his cheek. "Sorry."

Kai slightly chuckled; he patted his boyfriend on the head. "It's okay. I figured that you would get mad at me."

"Why did you do it in the first place?"

"Because…because I know it is what you want to do. You know, kids these days don't follow what they really want to do. They follow what their parents want them to do and it's not right, personally. I mean, if the kid willingly does what the parents wants them to do, then okay, fine, but sometimes the kids…you know, they don't want to follow what they like. Also, society plays into it as well you know. The kid wants to be an artist, but everyone tells them that income won't be there…the kid whats to be a photographer, but everyone says that it isn't a real job…a kid wants to be an actor or a singer or whatever it may be…everyone says the same thing. Income and it isn't a real job. But really, there are people out there who are artists, photographers, singers, writers, whatever…they were able to make it. How? Because they believed in themselves…and they were determined as hell. It may take awhile until you get the big bucks, but that is why you work hard. You enter competitions…contests likes this, test your skills. LeBlanc and Leitner are one of the great pastry makers right? At least you have some connection. They know who you are now and they tasted your dessert for this round and guess what...they liked it. " He poked Kyungsoo's forehead. "You want to be a pastry maker. I just know it. You don't want to be a doctor…I can see it in your eyes when you make a pastries. You look so happy. Seeing you happy, makes me happy." He gave a smile at the older. "This is an opportunity Kyungsoo. Who knows…maybe you will win, which I know you will."

Kyungsoo smiled a bit, touched by what Kai said. He gave a nod at the younger.

"I'll continue." Kyungsoo said.

"Huh?"

"I want to continue. I want to win."

Kai beamed and placed a peck on Kyungsoo's cheek. "I know you will."


--- (KAISOO) --- (KAISOO) --- (KAISOO) ---


Comment if you like~
Mistakes - I'm sorry Q A Q

Bracket based on my high school tennis bracket lol we had a 32, round of 16, quarter, semis, and finals, so that is how the bracket is for the pastry contest.

I'm not sure how much street food cost. Where I live, they don't cost a lot...it shouldn't right? lol ^^;;

 65,197.80 won ~ about 60 US dollars.

10,846 won ~ about 10 US dollars

7,049.90 won ~ about 6.50 US dollars

 

PointFive (.5) is a japanese group - male group formed by Nico Nico Douga's artists and currently signed to TEAM Entertainment.

 

 

Desserts made (those that are listed may or may not take hour & a half to make - lets just assume that they do okay?):


 

 

Kyungsoo's dessert