6

.the cupcake that brought us together.

--- (KAISOO) --- (KAISOO) --- (KAISOO) ---

--3RD POV---


Kyungsoo walked down the stairs slowly; he didn't want to go to school or interact with his father. He peaked into the kitchen and saw his father sitting on the stool, drinking his coffee and reading the news paper. Kyungsoo sighed, knowing that sometime today he would have to go inside and get a piece of toast. He placed his back pack at the kitchen doorway and entered the kitchen to grab his toast. Both said nothing; it was just an awkward silence. Kyungsoo couldn't take it anymore and decided to leave.

"I'll head out now dad. See you later."

Before Kyungsoo could grab his backpack, his father spoke.

"Kyungsoo…don't forget this."

Kyungsoo turned to see a sack lunch.

"I know I'm not the best, so it is fairly simple…I hope that it's okay."

Kyungsoo nodded and walked to his dad to grab the lunch sack.

"Thank you."

Before Kyungsoo could turn and exit his house, his father gave him a hug.

"Kyungsoo…last night's conversation…I really believe in you in your skills at baking. I really do, but it is the kind of career that doesn't bring a lot of income. How will you support your future family? It just won't."

Kyungsoo sighed.

"So please just…just drop it okay? And focus on school. You may still work at Shiny Stars, but once you graduate, it is off to medical school."

Kyungsoo tried to hold back the tears; hearing his father to tell him to drop his baking dream pierced his heart.

"I-I understand."

His father nodded.

"Thank you Kyungsoo."

He released Kyungsoo from his hug.

"Gotta go dad." Kyungsoo said.

"Okay. Have a good day."

'How can I have a good day now when you just told me to forget about my dreams.'

"I will dad. Bye!"

Kyungsoo rushed out and caught the public bus to his school. Once he arrived, he took out some tissues to wipe away his tears that were able to escape from his eyes. He threw away the tissue at the nearest trash can and took out his phone. It was quite early.

"Ah…an hour early huh?"

He tucked his phone back in his pants pocket and entered the building. He saw a few of his classmates walking aimlessly around, a few sitting and leaning against the lockers chatting. He went up to his locker and got everything he needed for first period.

"Kyungsoo?"

Kyungsoo jumped and turned to see Kevin.

"Kevin? You are early."

Kevin giggled which warmed Kyungsoo's heart. He felt a little bit of happiness. 

"Yeah, I didn't get my environmental science assignment done. I have like two more questions to answer."

Kevin studied Kyungsoo a little bit and tilted his head. His motion made Kyungsoo copy his action.

"What's wrong?" Kevin said with a worried tone. That took Kyungsoo by surprise.

"What?" Kyungsoo said in a shocked tone.

"I feel…like you are sad." Kevin placed his hand on his shoulder. "You okay? Anything wrong?"

Kyungsoo attempted to bring out his best smile.

"Of course Kevin! What could be wrong? It is friday today…the weekend is near!"

Kevin sighed.

"Whatever you say. Um, I have to go so I'll see you later okay."

Kyungsoo nodded and waved goodbye to Kevin. He turned back to his locker to double check his things. He sighed and closed his locker.

--- (KAISOO) --- (KAISOO) --- (KAISOO) ---

---3RD POV---

It was Kyungsoo's last class and not so much his favorite subject - AP Biology. Thank his father for forcing him to take a high level science course.

'Eh…I hate this…'

The teacher passed back their surprised tests that they took 2 days ago. Their teacher wanted to test their knowledge and wanted to know how many people remember biology. His teacher came near Kyungsoo's desk and gave him his test. Kyungsoo groaned. On the top showed words that most students didn't want to see on their tests.

'Please see me after class.'

Kyungsoo turned over his paper. He was feeling a little embarrassed, but he couldn't help it that science wasn't his most favored subject. He just studied hard making him get good marks on his tests, but it doesn't mean that it stayed in his head.

"Okay guys." Kyungsoo looked up at his teacher. "Most of you guys did well. And don't forget to --"

The bell rang and immediately his classmates stood up, swinging their backpacks and messenger bag straps overs their heads.

"And don't forget to read from pages 150 - 189!!"

Kyungsoo watched as his students sped walk out of their classroom.

"Oh Kai, would you come here for a minute."

Kyungsoo pondered what the teacher would want to talk to Kai about. He approached the teacher's desk.

"Kyungsoo, I noticed that you scored really low on the test, so I asked Kai to tutor you 'till you get good marks on the next couple of tests." The teacher motioned to Kai. "And he has agreed."

Kyungsoo looked over at Kai, who gave me a reassuring smile. Kyungsoo returned the smile and turned back to their teacher.

"Okay, thank you."

The teacher nodded. "I know you are smart Kyungsoo. I know you can do better. So I wish you good luck okay."

Both Kyungsoo and Kai nodded and bid the teacher a farewell. Once they were in the hallway, Kyungsoo turned to Kai.

"Thank you for helping me Kai. I swear I'll pay you back!"

Kai chuckled. "With what?"

Kyungsoo pondered and placed his index finger on his cheek.

"Oh! I could give you some of my sweets. More sweets for you." Kyungsoo smiled at Kai. "How about that?"

Kai nodded his head in a fast manner causing Kyungsoo to giggle.

"Yeah yeah!"

--- (KAISOO) --- (KAISOO) --- (KAISOO) ---

Both Kyungsoo and Kai took the public bus to Shiny Stars. The place was slightly busy, but most people were just sitting and chatting.

"Oh Kyungsoo, Kai." Onew gave a small wave. "Good afternoon to you two."

"Hello Onew hyung." Kyungsoo waved back. "I have to give you some bad news."

Onew tilted his head and his expression filled with worry. "What is wrong?"

"I've been doing poorly in AP bio…so I needed to get tutored."

Onew rested his hand over his heart. "Jeez Kyungsoo! I thought something really bad happened like your father got in an accident or something!" Kyungsoo chuckled.

"I am sorry hyung." Onew slightly glared at Kyungsoo and gave him a light flick on the forehead.

"Ouch!!" Kyungsoo rubbed his forehead and Kai chuckled at the two.

"Anyway." Onew rested his elbow on the glass table. "You are doing poorly and need a tutor?" Kyungsoo nodded.

"Yeah, I am doing poorly, so Kai is going to tutor me. I just need to get good marks on the next couple of tests." Onew nodded. "So hyung I might need to cut some of my hours, leave slightly early than my regular times, and cut some of my work days." Onew once again nodded.

"Sure sure Kyungsoo. School is important and I want you to get good marks." Kyungsoo smiled and nodded. "So study hard."

"Thank you hyung."

The 3 of them heard laughing from the side, it was Ren.

"If Kyungsoo is gone that would mean that I am the main dessert maker in this place!! Kyungsoo is gone! Kyungsoo is gone!" Ren chanted and continued to laugh.

Kyungsoo stared at Ren and started to laugh too. Ren stopped and glared at Kyungsoo.

"Why are you laughing?" Ren placed his hands on his hips.

"Oh Ren." Kyungsoo walked over to Ren and patted his head. "I am just simply cutting hours, not quitting." Kyungsoo giggled. Ren glared at Kyungsoo.

"One day!! I know I am better than you!! I will get your job!" He pointed to the ceiling. Kyungsoo, Kai, and Onew looked up.

"Ah…I should repaint that spot. I should make a note of that. Thank you for pointing up Ren." Onew said as he grabbed a small memo pad from his pants pocket and wrote a note for himself to repaint the one spot. Ren turned red.

"You guys are…are…!!" Ren scratched his head furiously. Baekho entered and rested his hand on Ren's head. Ren turned and buried his face on Baekho's chest.

"Ah…I missed something right." Baekho turned towards them.

"Sorta…but Ren did manage to point out a spot on the ceiling. It needs to be repainted." Kyungsoo said pointing up. Ren muttered something - along the lines of 'that is not what I was going for'. The rest chuckled and suddenly looked up when they saw Kevin entering the cafe.

"Ah! Sorry guys for arriving late I was --"

Before Kevin could finish he tripped over his shoe laces and landed flat on his face.

"Kevin!!"

The customes were shocked and a few were about to get up from their seats to help Kevin, but Kyungsoo and Kai rushed over to him while Onew rushed to the kitchen to get some ice. Baekho and Ren went to get the 1st aid kit. Both Kyungsoo and Kai placed Kevin on a near by chair.

"Hyung are you alright?" asked Kai.

Kevin nodded. He turned towards the customers and apologized for his clumsiness. The people gave reassuring smiles at him.

Baekho and Ren came with the 1st aid and on cue, Onew came with a plastic bag of ice.

"Kevin you are bleed. Your nose." Onew pointed out.

Kyungsoo opened the 1st aid and got some cotton balls to dab the blood away. Kai stared in amazement. Kyungsoo looked like a mother caring for a child. He watched as Kyungsoo rolled up Kevin's pant legs, up to his knees. There were visible bruises from his fall. Kyungsoo placed the ice pack on his left knee.

"Baekho, can you please get me one more ice pack?"

Baekho nodded and rushed to the kitchen.

"Kyungsoo, we will take it from here." Onew said.

Kyungsoo turned to face his hyung.

"You sure?"

Onew nodded. "We will make sure Kevin is all rested. I'll take him home as well."

"Thank you hyung." Kevin said with a smile.

Kyungsoo wanted to stay a little bit. Not just because he didn't want to go home and start studying for AP bio, he was very concerned for his friend.

"Yah! You don't trust us or something?" Ren placed his hands on his hips.

"No no I trust you guys! Honest!" Kyungsoo said in defense.

"Or is it that you don't want to go home because you know that once you go home you would have to start studying your AP biology right?" Ren smirked.

"Oh, yeah, Kyungsoo you should go home and start studying. We are fairly slow, so we will be fine." Onew said with a smile.

Kyungsoo sighed.

"Okay then." He stands up and gave Kevin a pat on the shoulder. "I'll see you later okay." Kevin gave a nod.

"Thank you for helping me Kyungsoo."

Kyungsoo nodded. He turned to Kai.

"Ready?"

Kai nodded and they both left the cafe.

"So, which house? Yours or mine?"

"We can go to my house."

Kai nodded and both started to head to Kyungsoo's house.

--- (KAISOO) --- (KAISOO) --- (KAISOO) ---

T u T yay update ^^~