3

.the cupcake that brought us together.

--KYUNGSOO POV--


'This will be good. And it could look like this…but should I add the whip cream? Maybe I should leave that and just take out the strawberries…or…hm.'

I scratched my head with the my dull pencil. Instead of listening to my teacher, I was writing new recipes in my small notebook.

'Maybe I should just have both.'

I circled both the words.

"Mr. Do!"

I jerked my head up. My AP English literature teacher, who was sitting at her desk, does not look too happy. I wonder why. I sighed.

'I wasn't paying attention…'

"Mr. Do, would you please answer my question?"

"Uh, what was the question?"

I could sense that she was getting irritated.

"Mr. Do, whatever you are writing in your notebook is clearly a distraction. If you were taking notes, you would have answered me by now."

"I…"

"Bring it up."

"But!"

"Now, Mr. Do."

I sighed and grabbed my small notebook that I kept all my recipes in. When I got to my teacher's desk I handed her my notebook.

"After class you may have it back."

I nodded and quickly walked back to my seat. My classmates started to snicker, but I just blocked them out. I looked at Kevin who was diagonal from me and he mouthed out focus and pointed to the teacher. I nodded.

'How can I think about…about…'

I grabbed the worksheet that we were working on.

'How can I think about this passage! My poor baby notebook isn't here.'

I sighed and I picked up my pencil. I started to write whatever my teacher was saying.

'I wonder how many…'

I started to turn my head towards the clock.

'…more min--its been 10 minutes?'

I turned my head back to face the front and did a small groan.

'Clocks. I hate them.'

"Okay class, work on the rest of the questions 'till the bell."

--3RD POV--

The school bell rang indicating that 3rd period has ended.

'Finally! Time to get my baby back!' I turned to Kevin.

"Kevin, I'll see you at lunch!'

Kevin nodded and exited the classroom with the other students.

"Ms. Bae."

Kyungsoo said as he approached his teacher, Ms. Bae.

"Can I have my notebook back?"

"Oh yes. Here you go."

She picked up the small notebook. Kyungsoo was about to grab it and sprint out the door, but Ms. Bae spoke.

"Ah, Kyungsoo, I apologize, but I opened your notebook."

"What?"

"I'm sorry a post it fell out and I was about to put it back in at a random page when I noticed your recipe for your…oh what was it called…"

She started to snap her fingers.

"Oh! It was called the almond topped pumpkin cheesecake. Just reading the recipe and looking at your little sketch of what the dessert should look like looks so good."

Kyungsoo gave a shocked expression.

'Invasion of privacy.'

"You think so?" Kyungsoo asked. Ms. Bae nodded.

"And I must confess, I kinda looked at the other pages too."

Kyungsoo rubbed the back of his neck.

'Seriously an invasion of privacy'

"Uh, it's okay. It's just my recipe notebook. I just create recipes and I keep them there so when I have time I can test them out. To  make sure they taste good."

Ms. Bae nodded. Her eyes beamed and she smiled at Kyungsoo.

"Kyungsoo, have you heard of the Patisserie competition?"

Kyungsoo shook his head.

"Well." Ms. Bae looked under her desk to take out her purse. Kyungsoo noticed some students already entering and taking her seats. "This." Kyungsoo looked back at his teacher. She unfolds the paper.

"I went to a cafe yesterday and they were giving these out. I was going to give one to my nephew, but I'll just go back and get another one for him, but anyway, the Patisserie competition is held here in Seoul this year. Patisserie." She points to the word."Is french for pastry. It is a --"

"Pastry competition." Kyungsoo said once he figured out the word.

Ms. Bae nodded.

"Why don't you join Kyungsoo?"

Kyungsoo looked up at Ms. Bae as she tried to give the flyer to him. He bit his lip.

"Ms. Bae, thank you, but I would have to refuse."

Ms. Bae frowned.

"Just…just take it. You may change your mind."

She insisted by pushing the flyer into his hand. He grabs it.

"The information is on there. On the back."

She smiled at him.

"Think about okay. You are talented at this kind of stuff. I can tell; that small notebook is almost out of pages and you being very much focused on it more than my lecture."

Kungsoo blushed. "I'm sorry."

She chuckled. "It's fine."

Kyungsoo looked at the flyer. He was about to say something, but Ms. Bae interrupted.

"You have two minutes 'till the passing period is over."

He glanced at the clock and realized she was right.

"Here let me write you a note so you won't get in trouble with your teacher."

Kyungsoo turned back at her.

"It's fine, I have study hall with Mr. Bang."

"Oh, he is pretty laid back, so you will be find then." She puts back the post it on her desk.

Kyungsoo nodded.

"Yeah."

The school bell rang.

"And that is my signal to go. Bye Ms. Bae." Kyungsoo started to walk towards the door.

"Bye and Kyungsoo."

Kyungsoo turned his head and saw Ms. Bae tapping her head.

"Think about it okay."

Kyungsoo sighed and gave a nod. He closed the door and once he was in the hallway, he looked at the flyer once again.

"…Patisserie…competition."

He walked towards a near by trashcan and crumpled up the flyer up.

'Dad won't like it…It will just be a distraction to my studies…'

He was about to throw it, but stopped himself. He sighed, swung his backpack over, opened it, and thew the flyer inside. Once he zipped it up, he started to jog to his study hall.

--KYUNGSOO POV--

I was finishing up the last questions of my economics assignment until the bell rang. I grabbed my stuff and quickly placed them in my backpack. 

"Have a good day guys."

I heard Mr. Bang say. As I approached the door I gave him a wave. I tried to rush my way to my locker, but during passing period for lunch hour A and 5th period, it's always a pain.

"Opps. Sorry!"

I said as I bumped into people. I was able to reach my locker and switched out my notebooks and books. As I closed my locker I started to head out to lunch to meet Kai and Kevin.

"Hm…"

As I entered, it was already packed with students.

'Where…'

I turned to my left and I saw Kevin waving at me.

'Ah, there they are.'

I jogged my way to where they were.

"Hey guys!"

I said as I took my seat across from them.

"Aren't you going to get lunch?" Kai asked.

I rubbed the back of my neck and chuckled.

"Don't tell me Kyungsoo…"

Kevin started to say.

"Ah."

"You forgot."

"Yeah."

Kevin sighed and he turned to Kai who was a little confused at was going on.

"Kyungsoo isn't a morning person. There are some days where he wakes up late and rushes through the morning. Sometimes forgetting his lunch and wallet at home."

Kevin giggles.

"Hey! I was up late! And for some reason my alarm didn't go off" Kyungsoo said.

"Doing what?"

"I…homework!"

"Yeah right! Yesterday was wednesday, so that means that the food dessert show thing was on late last night right?"

"I…er…yeah…"

"HA! I know you! So well!"

Kevin smiled in victory, while I groaned. Kai just chuckled at us. Kai ripped his sandwich into two and held the other half towards me.

"Here."

I stared at Kai.

"You need something in your stomach."

"I…Thank you…"

I blushed and grabbed the other sandwich. I started to much on it.

"So."

Kai started.

"You guys have work today?"

Kevin nodded.

"Yeah, I do. Kyungsoo doesn't though."

"Oh?"

Kai glanced at me and I just nodded.

"Yeah I have the day off today."

"Then…who helps out Ren?"

"Onew helps. He also bakes. So if Ren is out, he helps out Kyungsoo with the desserts. Same with us waiters. He likes to help out."

Kevin replied as he opened his apollo strawberry chocolate candy and popped one in his mouth. Kai nodded.

"I see. That is nice of him."

Kevin nodded and I see him placing the rest of the chocolate in a small compartment on the side of his backpack. Then he started picking up his garbage that he had.

"I'm gunna head out guys."

I looked up.

"Where are you going?"

"French. I wanna ask my teacher something before class starts. I'll just see you at economics. See you later Kai."

"Okay."

Both Kai and I waved goodbye at Kevin as he exited the cafeteria.

"Since you have no work today would you like to hangout? I mean, it's nice outside we can go to the park…if you are not busy."

I looked up at Kai and smiled.

"Sure. I've got nothing really after school. The park sounds great."

"Cool. I'll just meet you at your locker then."

I gave a thumbs up and Kai chuckled.

--AFTER SCHOOL - 3RD POV--

Kyungsoo leaned against the lockers and looked both ways in the empty hallway.

"Still no Kai. Did he --"

Kyungsoo heard footsteps running, so he turned his head to the right. He sees Kai running towards him.

"S-sorry."

Kai panted. He leaned forward and rested his hands on his knees.

"I…I was t-talking to one of my teachers."

Kai coughed a little and Kyungsoo patted his back.

"Breath Kai. Breath."

Kai was able to breath normally after a few pats on the back from Kyungsoo.

"So…ah you ready?" Kai asked as he looked at Kyungsoo.

Kyungsoo smiled at him earning a slight blush from Kai.

"Yup." Kyungsoo swung hus backpack over. "I'm ready."

Both started to walk down the hallway. Once they reached the gate of the school, Kyungsoo abruptly stopped.

"Ah shoot!"

Kai stopped and looked at Kyungsoo.

"What is wrong?"

Kyungsoo swung his backpack over and opened it. He checked inside and realized that he forgot his book for economics.

"I'll be right back. I forgot my econ. book."

"Oh? I'll hold your backpack then."

Kai pointed at Kyungsoo's backpack. Kyungsoo was about to protest, but Kai motioned with his hand to hand over. Kyungsoo slightly blushed and hands over his backpack.

"T-thanks. I'll be back."

Kyungsoo turned and started to run up to the entrance of the school. Kai was about to zip up Kyungsoo's backpack until he saw a crumpled sheet of paper fall out from his backpack.

"Eh?"

Kai squats down and picked up the crumpled paper. Curious, he opened it up.

"Hm? A patisserie compeition? Patisserie…pastry competition. Wonder why Kyungsoo crumpled it up…"

Kai placed it back in his backpack and swung it over his shoulder. He heard footsteps coming from the school doors. He turned and saw Kyungsoo running with his economics book clutched tightly against his chest.

"Hey!"

Kyungsoo smiled brightly at him.

'His smile is really something.' Kai thought. He gave Kyungsoo a smile back.

"Lets go then."

Kai started to walk and Kyungsoo towed behind.

"Ah Kai…can I have my backpack back?"

Kai turned and swung Kyungsoo's backpack over, he opened it and took the book from Kyungsoo. He placed it inside and closed it up.

"There."

Kai smiled and swung it back over his shoulder again. He started to walk. Kyungsoo stood there with a questioning look.

"Ah…"

Kyungsoo started to chuckle.

"Can I have it back? I mean I'll carry it. You are carrying mine and your messenger bag."

He catches up to Kai and started to walk right next to him.

"It's fine."

Kai replied as he turned his head to give Kyungsoo a smile.

"It's not even that far away."

Kyungsoo pouts a little and crosses his arms in the most adorable way.

"If you say so."