1

.the cupcake that brought us together.

 

(@⌒ー⌒@)

notes:

" text " = talking

' text ' = mentally talking

 

(@⌒ー⌒@)

 

--KYUNGSOO POV--

"Oh..my…god"

My mouth started to water from the dessert shown on the small television that is set on the kitchen counter. I leaned in more to appreciate the beauty of the dessert. 

"Doesn't this look good everyone?"

The audience cheerfully agreed and the tv hostess, Heajung, one of Korea's best dessert makers, giggled at the response. I smiled.

'I wanna be good as her one day. I wanna be known as one of Korea's best dessert makers.'

I sighed.

'That would be great.'

"Okay everyone" Haejung clapped and smiled sweetly at the camera. "Today I would be teaching you how to create this dessert beauty." The audience replied with a clap — heck even I gave a clap.

"So lets get started!" She tilted her head to the side in the most adorable way. "Okay?" She gave a smile.

"Okay!" I replied.

"For you viewers out there, if you want to make some as well, grab a piece of paper and a writing utensil!"

I jumped out if my stool and rushed to one of the many kitchen drawers to find a piece of paper and a pen. I grabbed both items and cheerfully hopped back on my stool, getting ready to write  the ingredients.

"Okay everyone" Heajung started to say. " first there are two different ingredients, the crust and the filling"

I start writing down the ingredients that she started to list off until I heard footsteps.

"Kyungsoo?"

"I'm here! In the kitchen dad!"

I heard my dad's footsteps coming closer to the kitchen doorway.

"Good morning dad." I gave him a smile.

"Good morning" he gives a yawn. "…hm…Good morning Kyungsoo" He rubs his right eye and yawns in the process. I gave a chuckle.

"Would you like some tea? I just brewed some." I motioned at tea pot still on the stove. I was about to get off my stool until my dad motioned my to sit back down. I turned off the television.

'I guess I would have to get it some other time…'

I turned to my dad who pouring some of the tea in a little cup in one hand while the other was rubbing his right eye. He gave a yawn. My dad is not a morning person, like me, but today is an acceptation…I slept early last night and just woke up early. I hate when that happens.

"So"

My dad's voice broke my trance.

"Summer vacation ends and tomorrow is the day." He chuckles as I gave a groan. "Do you have everything all ready for tomorrow?" I nodded.

"Yup. I got them all ready yesterday actually." I gave a thumbs up.

"Oh good good." My father replied and gave me a thumbs up as well. "I don't want you running around like last year. That wasn't such a good start."

"Yeah yeah…don't remind me okay." He chuckles and I started to laugh. I checked the clock and my smile started to fade.

"Yah!! It is almost 9:30?!" My dad looks up at the clock. Before he could say anything, I ran passed him and up the stairs to my room. We live in a modern two story house. The whole 2nd floor is actually mine, while the supposed to be guest room on the 1st floor was made into my dad's room.  He just likes it because it was smaller. Ever since my mom pasted away, he didn't want the master bedroom anymore so he gave it to me.

"Where is it!!"

I checked all over my room to find my wallet and my cellphone. I guess having a big room has its flaws too.

"Ah!"

I spot my cell on my desk which was covered by a lot of papers of recipes and doodles.

"Now…where…"

I quickly looked for my wallet. I took the clothes from my floor and threw them into one corner.

'where the freak are--there you are!'

I snatched it from floor.

'I should really clean my room later…'

I placed my wallet in my back pocket and my cell phone in my jacket pocket. I mentally did a checklist. I grabbed my vintage backpack and headed out the door. I ran down stairs almost tripping on my feet.

"whoa slow down Kyungsoo. Slow down."

I saw my dad at the end of the steps and he was holding a cupcake box case and a brown sack.

"Here you go." He hands me the cupcake box case. "Are you going to show those to Onew?" He points at the cupcake box case. Onew is my boss at the place that work at, which happens to be a dessert cafe.

"Hm.Yeah I am. They are cupcake proposals. If he likes them, we will sell them at the cafe!" I gave a smile, but my dad just seems to nod. My dad, loving and accepting as he can be, does support my in my baking skills, but when I told him that I would to pursue baking as a career…lets just say that the conversation didn't turn out so well. He believes in me, but he wants me to follow in his footsteps…which is take a major that is in the medical field. I am tired of getting his blessing, but I'll just take something in the medical field and when I am old, I can retire or something and make desserts as an old man. Serve to the young people. Yeah…sounds like a good plan.

"Oh and here" My dad hands me the brown sack. "I just saw this on the kitchen counter. You made this for yourself right?"

I pushed back the brown sack.

"That is for you actually."

He gave me a confused look.

"I want you to start eating more home cooked meals. No more of that fast food stuff. They are not even good for you! Home cooked meals are always --"

"Always the best." He says. "Your mother always says that." He chuckles.

"Oh course! And plus, she is right!" My dad nods. I looked at my watch and my eyes widen.

"Okay, I really have to go now dad!"

I sprinted to the door.

"Bye! Love you!"

"Kyungsoo, be careful! And thank you for the lunch!"

I nodded and I closed my house door and ran to my work place. I work at a dessert cafe called the Shiny Stars and my boss, as you may now know, is Onew. It is small, but we are fairly popular. Seriously, this place just screams adorable. Plus, amazing desserts and us handsome people working…yeah we are awesome.

--3RD POV--

Kyungsoo ran a little faster, jumping over little dogs and using his amazing dodging skills to avoid bumping into people.

"Excuse me! Pardon me! AH! S-sorry Miss! Crazy kid coming through! I need to get to work people!"

People started to part ways for the "crazy kid". The people that Kyungsoo passed by gave him stares as if he were really insane. Kyungsoo was almost that the point where he needed to stop and take a breather, but he couldn't stop now. He really didn't want to be late, so he pushed himself on to keep going. Kyungsoo saw the cafe at his sight.

'Almost there!'

He was in arms length of the door handle.

"Yes!"

Kyungsoo opened the door, but accidentally bumped into someone, dropping his cupcake box case in the process and earning stares from the customers.

"Ah! I am so sorry!" Kyungsoo bowed as he mentally punched himself.

"It's okay…really."

Kyungsoo looked up to see an attractive and tall man looking at him.

'Oh…' Kyungsoo thought. 'He is so good looking…'

"But I don't think your cupcakes are."

Kyungsoo gave a confused look. 'cupcakes? What cup…oh no…' He looked down to see his case of cupcakes on the ground.

"Oh no!!"

The stranger picked up the case and handed it over to Kyungsoo.

"I'm sorry." said the stranger with a sad tone in his voice.

Kyungsoo took the case and opened it, being prepared to see the damaged cupcakes, but sees two still intact.

"Actually"

Kyungsoo readjusts his arm to hold the case properly, using his free hand, takes out one of his cupcake creations-A regular sized cupcake, vanilla with a light blue puffy frosting with two white puffy frosting on the side acting as wings. The right wing was slightly damaged, but not that bad. On top were pink pearl sprinkles.

"Two are still intact."

Kyungsoo gave a sweet smile at the stranger.

"Um...Would you like to try? As a "sorry-for-bumping-into -you" gift…thing?"

He motions his cupcake box case.

"These were just proposals to by boss who owns this cafe and there is one left so everything is still good."

The stranger pondered for a minute, then gladly accepts the cupcake. He gave Kyungsoo a nod.

"Thank you" He motions the cupcake. "For this." The stranger took a bite of the cupcake. Kyungsoo stared at him wide eyed, eager to know the stranger's answer.

"Hm. They are…"

He swallows before he spoke.

"Not that great."

Kyungsoo's heart dropped.

"O-oh…really?"

Kyungsoo looked down at the last cupcake in the case.

'I guess…I won't propose them to Onew.'

"They are actually awesome. Excellent. Mouth watering!"

Kyungsoo looked up at the stranger."

"R-really? No joke?!"

"No joke. They are really good." He took another bite and chewed. "Your boss owns this cafe you said?"

"Kyungsoo gave a nod. "Yeah, he owns this place."

The stranger swallowed. "If this cafe sold these, I would come back every time. I'm sure these customers would love it too. You got a customer that will love it."

The stranger pointed to himself and gave the most sweetest smile Kyungsoo has ever seen.

'Wow! HIs smile is…is…beautiful! More than Kevin's! Even more that Baekho's!!'

'T-Thank you" He gave a bow.

The stranger nodded.

"Well, next time I come back, maybe I'll see them displayed"

Kyungsoo gave a beaming smile. The stranger walks pass Kyungsoo and turned his head.

"Goodbye and thank you for the cupcake."

"B-bye."

Kyungsoo watched as the stranger disappeared in the crowd.

"Well, I guess I don't need to see your cupcake proposals."

Kyungsoo turned around and gave a smile.

"Really Onew hyung?"

Onew nodded and patted his shoulder.

"A customer just said that he loved it. That is good enough for me."

Kyungsoo mentally thanked the stranger.

"Kyungsoo" Onew broke Kyungsoo's trance. "Change into your uniform and please help out Ren."

"Oh! Right! I'll be back!"

Onew chuckled as Kyungsoo passed by him and bee lined his way to the back.

'How adorable' Onew thought as he made his way to the cash register.

--KYUNGSOO POV--

I quickly changed into my uniform and as I walked out I was adjusting my tie. I was so into my tie that I didn't notice that I bumped into another figure.

'Am I just spacey today or what?'

"Sorry…oh Kevin! Sorry hyung."

Kevin Woo…he is one of my best friends at school. He moved from America last year and I just remember him being like a lost puppy. My classmates didn't help him when he asked for it. People were just selfish or they thought it would be a funny joke to make the newbie find his way. But I gave him a hand. After that, we became very close. Kevin, I swear he is an angel sent from heaven. His smile is angelic, his voice is so soothing, he is helpful and kind to others too.

'When I have time, I am changing your name on my cell to Angel…'

I made a mental note.

"Kyungsoo? Kyungsoo?…Hey! Do Kyungsoo!!"

"Yes sir!"

I made a salute at Kevin. He stared at me and gave a giggle.

"You are so funny. Ren needs help in the back. Even, though he doesn't say it out loud…but…"

"I'm on it hyung!"

I walked pass Kevin and went straight to the kitchen. I slowly opened the door and saw a frantic blonde running around in the kitchen. I hold in a laugh as I saw him sprinkling crushed walnuts on a piece of cake in one hand and on the other was spreading orange frosting on the chocolate cupcakes. I tilt my head.

'Who knew that Ren was a multi-handed guy…'

"Where is that Owl!!"

Ren hissed as he sprinkled more crushed walnuts on the other cakes.

'Poor Ren…I should get started.'

I opened the door more.

"Right here Rennie!!"

I jumped in and took the knife with the orange frosting that Ren was holding.

"You! You are late!"

Hahaha! Ren is sometimes funny. I dunno, he makes me smile when he "insults" me. I just can't take him seriously for some reason. He says he hates me, but I think that it is a lie. He is sweet sometimes. Well, not to me at least, rather to - -

"Hey Ren…are those cakes with the crushed walnuts ready?"

- - Rather to Baekho. I turned to Ren and he nodded.

"Yeah yeah." Ren grabbed the tray with the 12 freshly made desserts. "Here you go you Bear."

I chuckled.

"What is with you and animal names? I am an Owl and Baekho is a Bear?" I asked.

"Shut up!" I saw how Ren was almost turning red. He turned to Baekho. "Here you Bear! Go! Go! Go!"

I laughed as I saw Ren pushing the tray in Baekho's hands and shooing him away. Baekho gave a smile at Ren and nodded at me.

"Hey hyung! Congrats on the cupcake proposal thing!" Baekho said as Ren started pushing him out the door.

"Thank you!" I smiled back at Baekho as he walked back to the front with Ren huffing.

Dongho "Baekho" Kang and Minki "Ren" Choi…They are just so cute together. They are actually together, which is fine by me, Kevin, and Onew. I mean heck, even Kevin has a distance relationship going on with…Eli…I think his name was. He visited once and they too also looked perfect.  Ah love. Love is love, doesn't matter what gender you are or anything. That is all I have to say. I nodded and I looked up to see Ren giving me the most scariest glare ever. I gulped.

"What cupcake proposal? What was Baekho talking about? "

He crossed his arms in the process. Ren always thought of me as a dessert maker rival. He always wanted to be the best.

"Y-yeah. Someone tasted mine…H-he said that he liked it and Onew overheard and…"

Ren walked passed me. I sighed. I knew he was disappointed…

"Ren?"

"What?"

I glomped on him, giving him a back hug.

"Ren! Don't be mad! Your sweets are just as amazing!"

"Let…go of…me you Owl!!"

I released Ren and gave him a smile.

"Seriously Ren, your sweets are amazing."

He gave me one of those cold stares. Actually, he is famous for that. Baekho told me that at their school, someone got Ren so mad that Ren gave him the coldest stare ever that their classmates never wanted that to be directed that them. They started to call him the ice prince. As he told me about that I asked him what they call him and he told me that they refer him as the cheerful prince. I remember chuckling because those were just cute nicknames.

'He should smile more…it suits his face.'

"Lets just get back to work." Ren said as he turned.

He started to put vanilla frosting on the 4x4 shaped chocolate cookies. I stared at Ren until I got an idea. I sneakily walked out of the kitchen and went to the employee locker room. I opened my locker and took out my last cupcake that was undamaged from the bump with the stranger. I quickly returned to the kitchen. Ren's back was still towards me.

"Ren…"

"What?"

He turned around and stared at me.

"Try."

I showed him my cupcake.

"A cupcake?"

I nodded.

"My cupcake proposal."

"No."

"Please?"

"Busy."

"But Ren."

"Busy"

"WAH! Ren! There is a spider on your shoulder!"

"What?!"

I took the opportunity and quickly broke a piece of the cupcake. I put the piece in his mouth and shut his mouth closed.

"Chew! Chew!"

Ren was about to spit it out until I put my hand over his mouth.

"No Ren! Chew!"

Ren stopped moving around and gave me another of his cold prince stares. He started to chew and he eventually swallowed. I placed the rest of the cupcake on the table and gave him a smile.

"Well?"

I leaned in waiting for his reaction, while Ren leaned back. He was about to speak, so my eyes grew wide in anticipation.

"Your…eyes are seriously like owls…I swear you are part owl."

I looked at him shocked. He crossed his arms.

'Well, that wasn't the reaction I was looking for, but…'

I started to chuckle.

"That is kind of funny…and yes, my dad is part owl."

"I bet Owl boy." Ren turns around and takes the freshly made desserts. "Now take these to the front."

He gave me a dozen of strawberry cheesecakes and a dozen of colorful spongecakes.

"Okie dokie."

As I was about to walk out, I heard Ren mumble.

"You say something?" I asked as I turned around.

"I said it was good."

I gave him a confused look.

"These sweets?"

I lifted the tray. Ren gave me a glare.

"No you Owl! Your…your cupcake. It wasn't that bad…"

Ren turned around before he could see me smile.

"Thank you."

"Yeah yeah. Now hurry up!"

I skipped out to the front of the cafe, restocking the desserts. I looked at the customers and smiled at their happy faces. I saw Baekho taking orders for a couple, while Onew cleaned up a table for the up coming customers.

"Ah…I love summer time."

"Yeah me too."

I turned my head to see Kevin. He crossed his arms in the process.

"To bad school starts tomorrow."

Once Kevin said that, my head hanged low.

"Aw hyung! Why! Why did you have to say that!"

I whined as Kevin giggled and patted my head.