ten ;

Lavender

 

|010|

 

 

 

 

People think dreams aren’t real, just because they aren’t made of matter, or particles. Dreams are real. But they are made of viewpoints, of images, of memories and puns and lost hopes.

 

~ Neil Gaiman

 

<<>>

 

 

“Hoya, you can do this!”

 

I said to myself as I looked in the mirror, in the restroom of the architectural firm. Today was the day of the interview, and ever since I woke up this morning, I could feel butterflies tingling all over my body. I felt anxious, worried, and as much as I wanted to get it over with – I sort of didn’t want to face through it either.

 

Being a professional architecture who worked at a professional architectural firm had always been one of my biggest dreams, ever since I was little. I’ve always wanted to build a home for my mom, to provide her a shelter and protection that my father didn’t give.

 

Like I’ve promised myself – I would be a better man and a better son, for my mom.

 

I fished out my handwritten notes from my pocket, and read the tips for the last quick revision, before I crumpled it and threw it to the dustbin in the restroom. I fixed my neckties and tugged the lapels of my suit closed, and took one last deep breath before walking out from the restroom.

 

 

<<>>

 

 

While I was at the waiting room for the candidates, I scanned at my surroundings, and as I counted in my head, there were at least more than ten candidates for the interview today. Most of them were girls (I think in their early 20s), dressed neatly in their skirts and blouses, and a few of the guys, including me, were dressed in our best suits to impress. And you know what they say about first impressions – you only get to make one.

 

I sat quietly at my seat, albeit the anxiety was raging inside me, and my palms were sweaty. I crossed my arms and I would uncross it, I would stretch out my neck, and sometimes, due to my restless leg syndrome, I would shake my legs a lot too. Mom always said to me that shaking our legs is a bad habit, since according to her belief, it would shake away our fortunes too.

 

I was slouching down in my chair, when the door was cracked open and a figure with a short hair entered the room. It was a face that looked familiar to me.

 

That girl at the airport?

 

We both looked at each other with a perplexed expression.

 

“Hi?” I greeted her awkwardly.

 

“Hi back?” Albeit awkward, she giggled at me, scrunching her nose.

 

I was almost certain that the world is a small, small world.

 

 

<<>>

 

 

The girl’s name is Nicole Jung and we were of the same-aged. She was born and raised in California, America for almost eighteen years of her life, which explained why her Korean accent was sometimes sounded a little off, but I could still able to understand her Korean though. Just like the other girls candidates, she was wearing a black pencil skirt, with a white, buttoned, long-sleeve shirt and a black blazer. She was quite eye-catching, to be honest.

 

“Are you nervous?” She asked me. From the tone of her voice, I knew that she was nervous too.

 

“A little. You?”

 

“Hmm, I guess a little too.”

 

“Then that makes the two of us.” I chuckled.

 

“I hope we both pass this interview.” She murmured, in a hopeful tone.

 

“I sure do hope so.”

 

We both then talked a bit more – which I think, was indeed helpful to reduce the blaring anxiety within us. I noticed a couple of things about her too. She was a calm one and she had a habit of scrunching up her nose each time when she smiled.

 

I jerked forward when I heard my name was called. I clutched my document file tightly; as I could feel my heart thumping rapidly due to the nervousness.

 

“Good luck, Howon-ah.” She wished me luck, as I was about to walk out from the room.

 

I smiled, and gave a salute. “Good luck too, Nicole.”

 

 

<<>>

 

 

Despite it was my first interview, I think everything went rather well. The panels complimented on how sharp I looked with my fitted black suit; the lady interviewer complimented my necktie (in which I told her that my mom helped to choose the colour for me), and I think I spoke pretty well – albeit they said that my Busan accent was sometimes a little thick.

 

They had also asked me a lot of questions about my family background – and I basically told them everything but my estranged father. I made sure to plaster my face with warm smiles too.

 

“Why do you want to be an architect?”

 

“So I could build a home for my mother.”

 

I might not be the most intelligent person in the world, with the best academic records or with the most student’s awards – but I do hope that they could see my sincerity.

 

I really, really want this.

 

 

<<>>

 

 

After my interview ended, I waited a bit at the firm’s lobby. I sat at the lounge and right across the lobby, was the lady receptionist who had been creepily staring at me for almost the entire time I was there. When I caught her staring, she would be pretending to make a call, or write something down on her table. But as usual, I shrugged it off and put my poker face on and continued to flip through the pages of magazines, placed on the side table.

 

I was actually waiting for Nicole – for no particular reasons. I just thought that it would be rude of me, to not bid her a proper goodbye.

 

When the elevator slid opened, I tilted my head to scan through the faces and I noticed Nicole, being swarmed up by a group of people. I stood up, raised my hand and waved at her.

 

“You’re still here?” She said as soon as she approached me.

 

“Ahh, yes. I was actually waiting-”

 

I didn’t manage to finish my words when I realized that my phone rang, and I excused myself to a corner to take the call. The call was from Changsub.

 

“Hoya-ah, are you done with the interview?” He asked me on the phone. He had a restless tone.

 

“Yeap, why?”

 

“Bomi needs a hand at her flower shop at the moment, but I can’t go there now. I’m caught up with some appointments. Can you squeeze some time to help her out?”

 

 

 


the nicole that I portrayed here is the short-hair nicole during her Lupin era. I seriously love short-hair Nicole, and I hope she gets back to it soon ~

 

pinkiepromise: thank you <3 <3 i hope the story wouldn't disappoint you along the way ^^

Pistachio: at this rate, i don't think it'll end soon. and when my assignments would start to pile up, i probably won't be able to update as fast as this anymore :/

CisumAmethyst: d'aww thank you. will try to maximize my free times before I'm starting to get really, really busy huhu.

dinobunny: i hope she would feel something for hoya XP