"It's Different"

Third Times the Charm... [Kai "He's My Teacher" Side Story]

 

Sunday, October 13, 2012

                Finally, a table to myself, I thought happily, taking in the half-empty library. If it had been even slightly more crowded I would have given up and headed to the forest to be by myself. I was about to set my backpack down on a table near the back when I happened to glance up and see a familiar face. Her eyes were smiling, her hand covering as she laughed quietly at someone who was sitting opposite her said. But it wasn’t one of the other girls I occasionally saw her with. No…this was definitely a guy, with a broad back and long, deep black hair.

                “Hey, Eunmi.” Well , when did I get over to her table?

                She blinked up at me. “Oh! Kai! Hi, hi. What’s up?” she asked, a smile stretching across her face.

                I pulled the chair out and set myself down, dropping my backpack near my feet. “Oh. Nothing. Do you guys mind if I sit here?” I asked, plainly not looking at the other guy.

                Eunmi, however, did glance at him, and I noticed him shrug. “Yeah,” she smiled. “Sure. Oh, uh, Kai, this is Hyunjoo, my uh- m-my friend,” she stumbled over her words, ending with a small smile. “Hyunjoo, this is Kai. He’s….my…uh…my friend,” she finished lamely. Okay, so Hyunjoo wasn’t the only one. Maybe this was normal. Nothing to worry about.

                Not like I was.

                “Ah, hi,” I greeted, nodding at him. “What year are you, Hyunjoo?”

                “I’m a senior,” he answered.

                “Oh…senior?” I confirmed, glancing at Eunmi.

                Eunmi blushed slightly, a nervous smile pulling at her lips. “Yeah. We uh—have a class together.”

                Well that was a blatant lie…

                Hyunjoo eyed Eunmi, the intensity of his stare being felt by even me.  “Yeah. A class,” he repeated unemotionally.

                Eunmi nodded once strongly. “Yeah, well, Kai, why are you here?” she asked, turning to me.

                “Gotta finish my paper. I need another book source so I figured I’d just do it here.”

                “Hm. Sounds…fun…” she nodded slowly.

                I let out a laugh. “A joy…” Silence fell over the small table before I stood up suddenly. “Well…I’m gonna go find a book now…” I muttered.

                “Right, yeah, cool, bye,” Eunmi replied quickly, looking up. “Good luck,” she smiled.

                I was just a few bookcases over when I heard hushed whispers from the two. My curiosity piqued and I tiptoed back over, resting just out of sight behind a bookcase.

                “Why did you lie to him about me?” Hyunjoo hissed.

                “I-I’m sorry,” Eunmi mumbled softly.

                He let out a long breath. “Look, Eunmi, if you’re ashamed of me, of who I am to you and our relationship-“

                “Oppa, no!” Eunmi contradicted him quickly. “No…” she repeated softer.

                Were these two…no. They…I would know if Eunmi had a boyfriend…Wouldn’t I?

                “Eunmi, you’ve gotta get over it. Things are different between us but that’s not necessarily bad. We’re so much closer now.”

                Eunmi let out a frustrated breath, and I could practically see her running her small hand through her hair. “Oppa, I’m not embarrassed of you…I just…I haven’t told anyone…”

                Okay. So maybe I wouldn’t know if she got a boyfriend…

                Hyunjoo made a sound of disapproval but she continued. “Not really anyone. Nobody knows the full story. And I’m definitely not gonna unload on someone I just met.”

                “Eunmi, this, us…what happened…it’s an important part of you,” Hyunjoo argued.

                “I know…I know, Oppa. I really…you’re really important to me, our memories and shared history are really something I care about. But it’s just…it’s difficult. It’s different for me than for you…” Eunmi replied feebly.

                “Excuse me—“

                “AHH,” I jumped, spinning around. “Holy…fu…s-sorry,” I mumbled as I stalked away from the innocently surprised bystander trying to grab a book behind me.

                I shook my head, trying to clear my thoughts. Was this…was it really…was she…

                No. Stop Kai, you don’t care. I winced, closing my eyes and leaning heavily against the outside edge of one of the bookcases. “She’s nothing to me,” I whispered softly. “She’s nothing.”