Ticking Down

S.M. Youth Star Audition - The Trainee Stage

We gritted our teeth and clenched our hands as Sunshine led her group, Amu, Anna and one other trainee, onto the stage and into position. As the music started, everything made sense. Their heavy makeup and studded clothes, they were performing I am the Best by 2ne1.

Ahh, I see it now. Sunshine was Dara, Amu was Bom, and Anna was Minzy.

What a fierce stage presence. Even the trainees in the audience were cheering, singing and chanting along. 

Looks like Amu's extra lessons really paid off. They finished their performance as the first lot of unofficial trainees to perform for the night and the crowd erupted in applause. I too clapped vigourously for my "seniors" as they took their bow and headed back this way behind the wings.

"That was amazing!" So-So exclaimed.

"Good job guys!" Tatties high-fived.

"Hehe, thanks." Sunshine beamed, "Hey, isn't that Cam?"

"Ooh, it's BigBang's Sunset Glow!" Amu noticed.

Everyone's been working hard for this moment, a moment to shine.

 

 

"Okay, interval's over! Groups 12 to 25 good luck and get ready!" Mika called into the backstage resting room. 

"Good lock guys! We'll be cheering from the crowd!" Amu smiled as she and the other left to take a seat in the audience.

"Let's go!" Tatties fist pumped and we made our way towards the wings to wait for our flight.

I peep out into the audience of 350 S.M. staff, artists and trainees, and silently wished that the stage lights would blind me more from the faces staring towards the stage. Don't get me wrong..I'm not scared of performing, I love performing. It's making a mistake that I'm afraid of. 

I turn around and close my eyes, taking a deep breath in to run through a quick meditation technique to calm my fast-beating heart down. Breathe in, and out. Breathe in, and out.

"Group 14! Your turn!" Chae called from the control station backstage.

 

"Eletric...Electric shock...E-E-E-Electric E-E-E-Electric Shock!"

 

Heart pumping, veins pulsing, head spinning, breath huffing. Adrenaline doing its job.

We line back up into positions; I look over at So-So-Sulli, Tatties-Victoria and the other trainees in our group, cueing when to bow.

I bow down galantly as Yuri-Krystal, but come back up as determined Yuri. The girl that wants to stand on this stage every minute of every day.

I look out into the crowd and spot the others, waving to them as we say goodbye to the audience, but something felt odd.

As I waved and swiveled around towards the wings, I caught a glimpse of a few pairs of eyes vying my every move. I hurried off the stage with the others and headed backstage to grab my belongings before joining the others in the audience, paying no extra thought on useless things.

My very first recital performance, finished. Boy does it feel good to perform something you've been training and pratising day and night for.

 

 

 

Want to see this fanfic in a visual format?

Vote here!