Chance!

S.M. Youth Star Audition - The Trainee Stage

Manager Mika cleared after walking onto the small stage at the end of the hall, ready to run through the details. 

"Hello again. I hope you've all settled yourselves in and had a look around. If you've forgotten already, my name is Mika and this here is another trainee manager, Chae. We'll take you through the breakdown of the program and answer any questions at the end." Said Mika.

"Yes, to start off. All non-Korean speakers have been enrolled into Kent Foreign High School and Chung-Ang University." Manager Chae began. "And will have private Korean language lessons everyday after school."

"That's right, so your Weekday schedule will be as follows: School from 9am to 4pm, Language class from 4:30pm to 5:30pm, and Singing and Dancing training after dinner from 8pm to 10:30pm. On Saturdays you will train from lunch onwards and then you'll have a break on Sunday." Mika explained in more detail. "And you'll also be given a weekly allowance of $20."

"Of course, that will be the basic schedule that most of you will follow. For those in University, when you have no class you will be training at the S.M. building. Schedules also change according to what Stage you are in. There are 5 stages in our training program, from beginners to performers. You will progress up a stage when your instructor deems you worthy." Chae clarified. "I hope you will all work hard to advance into stage 5 where you may get the chance to stand on stage with your fellow S.M. artists."

"Okay, that's all from us. Any questions?" Mika finalized.

"Are we allowed to visit our family?"

"Yes you may take a visit once a year but we do not cover for it." Chae answered. "Any more questions? No? Then you are dismissed until dinner at 6pm."

 

Chung-Ang University. Bachelor of Arts (Music).

I scan through the lengthy page of information about CAU on Wikipedia. A school that has had many notable students like Sooyoung and Yuri of SNSD, Luna of f(x), Seungri of Big Bang  and Dong Ho of U-KISS. 

Hmm, which classes should I take? There's 4 fields to choose from, Composition, Voice, Piano, and Orchestral music...Oh! But they'll have to be taught in English for me to understand...Hmm and it looks I'll need to have 6 credits a semester...Ahh, I guess I'll go with these:

Ear Training and Sight-Singing I, 2 Credits

Ear Training and Sight-Singing II, 2 Credits

Workshop for Perfomance, 1 Credit

World-wide Music Appreciation, 2 Credits

Harmony I, 2 Credits

Harmony II, 2 Credits

Class Piano, 1 Credit

I enter in my preferences and start to pile together my yearly schedule. Oh? Looks like I only need to attend classes on Monday and Wednesday. Mika and Chae said that we are expected to train at the S.M. building when we're off class so I guess I'll be doing that during my days off school, and in the 10am to 12pm break on Monday and 9am to 2pm on Wednesday. Woah, that's a lot of training. But I guess it's not a bad thing..this way I'll get to hopefully advance the stages quicker. I print out a map of the campus and my schedule then go back downstairs to my room to washup and prepare for dinner.

 

"Quick! Let's go! Dinner time!" Rushed Sunshine as she bounced around the room.

"Yes! Dinner time!" Amu shouted through the corridor.

The corridors began to flood with hungry trainees moving in masses towards the hall. The seats were all arranged to fit into 2 long tables across the hall, at a glimpse fitting about 150 people. The large white tables held small dishes of kimchi, fish cakes and pickled cucumber.

We all lined up at the serving window and waited our turn, beautiful aromas of spice gently floating through the air.

 

"The menu's so good today!" Exclaimed Amu as we sat down opposite her and Hwa.

"And the servings are big too!" Sunshine added before she began digging into her bowls.

I look down at my array of dishes.

Miso soup, Garden salad, Pickled cabbage and carrot,  and a Curry and Croquette rice. One of my favourites.

"Jal Meoggetseumnida." Whispered So-So before lifting up her chopsticks.

Ah! That must be "bon appetite" in Korean...I'll remember that for next time..."Itadakimasu" will do for now...

 

"Umm.." I began, "I was wondering...how many trainees are there?"

Directing the question at no one in particular but still not receiving an answer straight away.

"Jal Meogeotseumnida." Whispered So-So placing down her chopsticks.

"Ahh.." Hwa started in a soft voice. "Roughly about 100, though only 23 are official trainees..."

"What? So we're not officially a trainee yet!?" Tatties responded with vigour.

"Shhh, you're too loud." Hwa reprimanded, dropping all traces of her cheeky image.

"I'm going to go get seconds." Sunshine suddenly announced and rushed out of her seat.

"What's up with her?" Tatties scoffed.

Amu sighed and placed down her chopticks. "Everyone here wants to be an official trainee just as much as you, but that's just not possible. You either wait your turn or get lucky."

"What do you mean by that?" I asked curiously noticing that Amu ignored Tatties's question. 

"You only get the title when you're either in stage 5 or showing rapid progress and stand out from the rest. Most of the time, you don't get to stage 5 until you're in your 3rd year like Sunshine's brother, Nox...but even before that you need to survive the tough competition...Sunshine's best friend dropped out after her first month here because of bullying from official trainees." Amu explained. "But she wasn't the only one..."

"Ahh, I guess that's what you'd expect in such a harsh and competitive environment. I wouldn't expect it to be anymore relaxing than going through the rounds of auditions all over again." Xing Xing added.

"Auditions were fun." So-So commented as Sunshine came back with her second helping.

"Oh, have you guys already decided on a stage name?" Hyunnie asked, hoping to change the topic and lift the heavy mood.

Most of us at the table shook our heads because we either used our Korean names or hadn't decided on one yet.

"Mine's YuNi!" Tatties called out.

"I have one too." So-So answered in a soft voice. "Hyunnie."

"Oh? A clash.." Tatties noticed.

"Ah, how come you didn't tell me?" Hyunnie asked, surprised at the coincidence. "Hmm, maybe you guys should start calling me by my stage name Anna then."

"You never asked..the youngest should keep quiet and yes, that'll make me less confused." So-So smiled. "Also, speaking of which, how old are you?"

"Huh? Me?" I said, pointing to myself in confusion. "I'm 19."

"19!" Everyone exclaimed, mouths hanging open. 

Ah, here we go again. The age debate.

"But you look so young!" Amu gasped, unable to believe that I am her senior.

"Ah, I'm still the maknae." So-So giggled. 

"Wait! What month?"  Sunshine interrupted.

"July.." I began.

"Oh? I'm June." Sunshine smiled.

"...of '93." I finished.

"Oh no! Leader is overthrown!" Anna announced. "We have a change of leaders!"

"No, no. Please, keep the leadership title." I insisted. "I still have a lot to learn."

"Oh okay then." Sunshine smiled.

"Everyone," Mika addressed, as the wall behind her lit up and displayed a karaoke screen. "It's time for some competition. I'm sure the others have told you about the prizes so I'll just briefly go through the rules - you have 2 hours to gain as much points as possible for your dorm wing. Points can be gained through your karaoke song score, participation, and judge's vote. Please note that this is all recorded and as always, we highly welcome new trainees to take part in their first dorm competition. So, who's ready?"

Here's my chance to stand out!