La la la la

S.M. Youth Star Audition - The Trainee Stage

"So? Where do we sign up?" Tatties called out to ask Mika over the crowd of animated trainees.

"Hush everyone. If you want to participate in the singing, then just call out the name of a song - no doubling up. Each song can only be chosen once so be quick." Mika explained. "If you want to participate in other fields such as dancing or acting, just jump up and join in. Remember, left wing trainees get the left side of the stage and right wing trainees get the right side."

 

“Lucifer!”

“Fantastic Baby!

“Only one.”

“Mama!”

 

Songs were being called out before we even had enough time to think. Were we only allowed to choose Korean songs?

 

“Wedding dress!”

“Sorry Sorry!”

“Rolling in the deep!”

 

Ah, I guess we can choose English songs then…argh! Think, think, think. Do I want a song that I can ace...or a song that shows off my skills?

 

“Warrior!”

“Lollipop.”

 

“I love you!”

 

“Alright, keep ‘em coming! Just need about 10 more!” Mika called as she keyed in the song selections.

 

“Grenade.”

“Jar of hearts!”

 

Umm, umm, Ah- time’s running out.Um-

“Blue tomorrow!” I called out without even thinking twice. What am I doing? Oh what have I done.

 

“Okay, that’s it! Let’s begin! First song up – Lucifer.” Mika called as she brought up the screen on the wall to begin.

 

A co-ed group of trainees got up onto the stage, ready to start. “Right wing hwaiting!”

 

I can’t even begin to describe the scene before my eyes.

It’s…It’s so professional. I actually feel like I’m at a concert right now - singers and dancers performing on stage, fans chanting and cheering from below. You can’t not have fun. This atmosphere…It’s like this isn’t even a competition anymore. You’ve got people singing along with those on stage, like Sunshine and So-so to my left, and they’re not even from the same wing as them yet they’re still so supportive of each other. This, this is the environment I want to be training in.

The first song ended just as soon as it started but it made for a tough act to follow by scoring 90 points in singing. Right wing, 90 points up.

The next song was also one that was put down by the right wing who also performed well. Right wing – 170 points. Left wing – 0.

 

“Man, we’re getting smashed!” Tatties complained.

“Caddy.” Said So-so, eyes following a girl with long black hair who was moving towards the stage.

“Ah, you mean Catty?” Hwa smirked. “Just watch, you won’t be complaining after this.”

 

 “You’re the only one, only one”

 

The girl, Caddy, had a solid voice – one without any wobble of any sort – not even vibrato. The dancers danced around her in an orbit as she graced the stage with her small frame and big voice.

But something feels off.

 

Unlike the other songs...no one was singing along here, no one was uttering a word.

I turn back to the stage to find her looking my way. Her glassy gaze sending shivers down my spine. Why…does she remind me of myself? Those eyes…

 

“Only one only one”

 

The song ended perfectly. Loud applause erupted from the crowd, mainly those from the right wing. I wonder how many years it’ll take for me to put on a performance like that…

“100!?” Tatties exclaimed, jaw dropping to the floor.

“It’s what you’d expect from a piano prodigy.” Said Amy, getting up from her seat.

“Where are you going?” I asked.

“Next one’s my song.” Amy smiled. “Anyone wanna join me for Exo’s Mama?”

In a flash, the table emptied leaving only Tatties and myself. Amy managed to gather Xing Xing to join her along with Sunshine, Anna, Hwa, So-so, Rayz and a few others who were now organizing themselves into a circle on stage.

Oh, that’s right, time to suss out the competition from room 218.

 

“Careless, careless. Shoot anonymous, anonymous. Heartless, mindless. No one who care about me”

 

I am amazed. Some of these guys have a totally different persona on stage.

Amy turns into a charismatic character, Sunshine becomes a dancing fiend, and Anna turns crazy fierce. Though Xing Xing is just as fierce on stage as she is off stage, So-so is still delicate and Hwa is just Hwa the prankster we know. Each of them adding something uniquely them to the song, even Rayz's hardcore rapping.

 

“Wooooo!” We cheer at the finished performance that scored an 85.

 

“Umm, would any of you like to sing Bom’s part in “I Love You”?” A girl down the table asked us.

“Ah! I’ll do it!” Tatties called back over, jumping at the chance.

After a few more wonderful performances, the scores for both wings were starting to show signs of a bigger gap. With only a handful of performances left, who will end up with the final win?