S.M. Entertainment, Apukjeong, Seoul

S.M. Youth Star Audition - The Trainee Stage

"So, how was it?" The man sitting at the end of the long meeting table asked, looking at all the faces of the professional S.M. talent casting team.

"A waste of time!" Piped a middle-aged woman who was looking into a pocket-sized mirror and applying lipstick.

"Heh, getting old so soon?" Spat a young agent, fixing her long wavy hair in the reflection of her iPhone.

"Hey..don't disrepect your senior." A slightly older girl sitting next her hissed, as she nudged her sharply with her elbow, in fear of her friend getting into trouble.

"Hang on, hang on. We all have different opinions, that's why we've filmed these auditions." The man said as he motioned the bickering to stop. "We have around about 1 month to go through all of these tapes, so let's all cooperate and things will run smoothly."

"That's right, we don't have much time. During the this first week, we will look at all the applications that you have made a note next to, then the remainder of the time will be for skimming the rest of the tapes for possible candidates." Said a woman with round glasses with the air of an assisting manager.

"The rest of the month?" Asked the shocked middle-aged woman. "Surely we shouldn't waste our time on trash."

"I agree, we should focus more on the notable applications and auditions." Said a woman with short black hair who was pen twirling.

"But everyone deserves a fair chance." Smiled an agent who resembled BoA, "Wouldn't you agree?" The two older women huffed and sat back defeated.

"Please, can we just start already?" Asked a young man sitting next to the projector.

"Yay, LA first!" Cheered a woman, which earnt a few stares.

 

"Quite a lot of talent in America as usual." A balding middle-age man said, shuffling his papers into a neat pile.

"Australia was quite a surprise!" Piped a young man. "Quite a variety of talent!"

"Yes, but it's a pity that we can only choose 15 from each place to go onto the next round." Sighed the BoA twin, as she flipped through her papers.

"15 is more than enough." A pair of lipstick lips spoke, "Back in my day, we only picked 3 from each."

"And that's why the Hallyu wave only happened within these few years and not back in those days." Chimed the wavy-haired girl, as she squeezed past to sort her stack of papers into the three ballot boxes.

"Cheh, you think it's easy training and debuting so many trainees in a year?" Said the short-haired woman who was examining her chipped nail. "Competition is rough. We should limit the amount of auditionees we accept to let them know that it's not easy to be a trainee."

"True, it's not all fun and games. We don't want auditionees waltzing in here thinking that this is a playground." Added the middle-aged man.

 

 

 

"Hmm, off schedule again." Sighed the young girl as she carried the ballot boxes into her office.

"Ahh, the Marketing department are never on time." Chirped a tall woman. "This is for Youth Star right?"

"Yes." Sigh the girl as she slumped into her chair. "The usual rejection letters."

"Don't be so down!" Said the woman as she lifted the lid off the boxes and took out the documents.

"How can I not be down? I'm crushing dreams!" Huffed the girl. "It makes me reminisce back to when I auditioned..." 

"Don't think too much about it! This won't knock the determined ones down." Smiled the woman. "So, let's get to it! These thousands of emails aren't going to write themselves! I'll treat you to BBQ after!"