Our fluttering

Crying Moon

Jaejoong and Yuri spent almost two hours at the arcade before going home. This was the first time Yuri saw the truly childish side of Jaejoong, who acted like a young boy excited at every single game he caught his eyes on. After pulling her to one game, he pulled her to the next. While with Jaejoong, Yuri felt like she uncovered her young side again, the side she thought she would never see anymore. 

When they returned, their bodies were all sore from controlling the game's handles and the running around. Even so, if the arcade's owner didn't tell them to leave because it was closing time, Jaejoong would continue to whine for another round until Yuri dropped to the floor in exhaustion. 

"I want to drink something." Jaejoong said as he flopped on the table. 

"It's late, why don't you sleep instead? I'm tired." Yuri commented after putting her bag away inside her room. 

Jaejoong seemed to ignore Yuri's comment. "It's cold outside. Do you have hot cocoa?" 

"Hot cocoa?" she said.

 

"Ahh, this is awesome." Jaejoong murmured after taking a sip of his hot cocoa. 

He thought of hot cocoa out of nowhere, thinking Yuri wouldn't have it around but it turned out she did have a few bags of premade hot cocoa lying inside her cabinet. While Yuri was busy preparing, Jaejoong digged around for marshmallows. Unfortunately, his luck was over. There were no marshmallows. Hoping to find something else to replace them, Jaejoong saw a can of whipcream in a drawer. 

"Now, if we put some whipcream on, it will turn into a magical drink, right?" he said as he shook the can and sprayed a mountain of it onto his cup and then onto Yuri's. 

"How do you know about hot cocoa? I have never given you any." Yuri wondered. To her surprise, Jaejoong did know a lot of Earthly things that she expected. After quitting the job at the pizza shop, he must have gone around, learning about what a normal human should do. 

Jaejoong answered in a bit arrogant voice. "I know more than you think." 

Yuri's expression became sardonic and resumed drinking her cocoa. It was a bit hot so she had to blow on it a little. Watching Yuri, Jaejoong did the same and finish his cup. 

"You clumsy thing, whipcream is all over your face." Jaejoong exaggerated a bit. Yuri tried to clean the cream on her face by using her hands but Jaejoong held them down and reached for a piece of tissue from the box not so far away from him. "Aigoo... your hand is dirty, don't you know that?" he said and scooted closer to where Yuri was sitting. 

Jaejoong's sudden movement made Yuri's heart skip a beat. Before knowing, his face was already closing in toward hers. Gently and calmly, Jaejoong wiped the cream off Yuri's face and placed the tissue on the table then looked back at Yuri, whose eyes were widen and still. Unlike him, she could no longer feel her arms and legs. She felt like she was floating with butterflies. It can't be, this is back! her chaotic mind lost its coordination. The more she looked, the more mature and handsome Jaejoong was. Such traits she had never considered before randomly slitted inside her.

Their gaze continued to lock for several minutes before both of their senses came back. 

"Ahem-" Yuri anxiously interrupted. 

"Ahh, I'm sorry. I'll go clean up now." Jaejoong replied but with a broken voice.

His pronounciation was a bit blurred and he was also taken aback by his choice of action. Yuri stared away to avoid any further eye contact. Jaejoong washed the cup hastily because of awkward situation and shut his bedroom door. Breathing heavily, he recalled the way Yuri's eyes shined at him due to the moon's reflection. Personally for him, it was the first time he shared a gaze with her. It was intense and short but he thought it was longer than that. 

"Her face..." he slipped out from his mouth. "What am I saying? This hand, this stupid hand!" 

Jaejoong hit his own hand in confusion. "Stupid hand, stupid hand. Ahh, I don't know!" 

 

In the morning, the air between Jaejoong and Yuri was still unusual. They utterly couldn't speak to each other so all they did was smile to each other strangely. After sending Yuri off, Jaejoong decided to stop by the book store again to continue his search. He knew it would be useless but all he could possibly do was to keep looking for an answer. Gliding his fingers among the rows of books, he sought for a right title. 

Skipping from the "A" shelf to the "R" shelf, Jaejoong stopped at the romance section. Strangely curious, he picked up one and read its huge print on the front. "Romeo and Juliet." he mumbled. Jaejoong skimmed through the description on the back and found it interesting. "Forbidden love, hmm, let's see." 

He began slowly on the first page.

Time flew by as Jaejoong's attention was drowned into the book's fantasy.

If it wasn't because of the vibrating noise from his phone, he wouldn't know when to stop. Jaejoong held up the screen and realized it was Tiffany's text. 

"Jaejoong-ssi, thank you for your help yesterday. My grandma gets better quickly and I just want to let you know that. Let me treat you to a nice meal  sometimes." it read. Jaejoong grinned when he knew Tiffany's situation was getting better. "It's a relief then." he exhaled in contentment. 

While he typed his reply, Jaejoong thought it wouldn't be appropriate if he continued to read the book's store books without buying. He handed the owner the book after marking his place. 

Instantly after Jaejoong hit the send button, Tiffany replied with a smiling sticker. Placing the phone back into his pocket, he grabbed the book in its plastic bag and left the store. Glancing at the time, it was an hour past nine since he dropped Yuri off at her hospital. Without anywhere else to go in mind, Jaejoong continued to stroll the street until he found a park. Settled down on one of the empty the stone bench, he watched the crowds of people passing the crosswalk in a hurried manner. While the city was filled with men and women who were busy day and night, there was someone like himself without a proper job or a family. 

His life, was a mess.

Jaejoong then stared at the "HELP WANTED" signs hanging on windows in every direction. His brain said in its own word that he should get a job, earn extra pocket and kill the time while his heart told him otherwise. Jaejoong wasn't quite sure of what to do to fulfill all of his duties. He knew that he needed to be by Yuri's side whenever she called or else things would make a wrong turn and a job would take that freedom away. However, after witnessing the debt that Yuri still had to carry, he was certain that he couldn't continue being a freeloader.

"How can she ever survive living like this." he said softly, referring to Yuri. As Jaejoong heard the birds chirping their song and felt the breeze brushing itself against the skin on his face, his mind began to wonder if life could ever be as relaxing as the moment right now. A life without any burden, responsiblity and danger. A carefree life, Jaejoong wondered if it was ever possible.

Flipping through a low amount of cash in his wallet that he earned while working as a pizza delivery person, he came across the credit card he was given during his way down to Earth. "I wonder what is the limit of this card." he muttered. Considering that he only used the card twice or so, Jaejoong had high hope that he could use it to do something useful instead. 

 

After wandering around the different paths of Seoul, Jaejoong decided to come home and take a rest. Through lots of thinking, there was only one thing that he could find himself agreeing with, which was the reality of how boring his life was. However, because he had bigger priorities, he must remain focus. 

Lying on his back, Jaejoong thought the book he just bought would help him take his mind off the juggling thoughts. Soon, Jaejoong's eyes slowly shut as he started to doze away the long day in a deep sleep. The clock struck seven and the sound of a new text message woke him up. Rubbing his fingers against his barely opened eyes, Jaejoong made out the word "Yuri" from the pop up screen. 

The text read Yuri had to stay back at the hospital due to emergency situations. Quickly, Jaejoong sat up and reread the message. The word "late" suddenly echoed in his head and reminded him of the last time Yuri was almost killed during a hospital blackout. His heart pounded loudly and sharply as he was afraid that the scene would repeat itself. Jaejoong immediately swiped the screen to unlock and dialed Yuri's number. 

"I don't think staying back at the hospital is a good idea, Yuri ah." Jaejoong said anxiously. 

"Why? It's okay. I have stayed back many time before, don't worry." she assured.

No matter what Yuri said, nothing could calm the fear within him. "Don't you remember? About last time?"

"But I can't leave now, it's an emergency." 

There was a short silence before Yuri started to speak again. "Ah, why don't you come and stay at my office if you are worry. We can go home when I'm done. How does that sound?"

"If that's the only option." he replied.

"Okay then I will--"

"Wait, don't hang up yet! Did you eat? Do you want me to bring over something?" 

"Food? Can you bring some bibimbap?"

"Bibimbap? I'll be there shortly." Jaejoong answered and ended the call.

Snatching his jacket off the wall hanger, he swung the door closed and made out of the house. Peeking back at his wallet, Jaejoong figured he should have enough cash for the food. He ran swiftly toward the closest restaurant that was still opened and placed the order. The wait was roughly ten minutes so as soon as the waiter handed him the order, Jaejoong hurried to the hospital. The incident last time remained as a trauma for him, always afraid bad things were going to happen to a degree that every second became precious.

 

"Yuri-ssi, I'm sorry this has to happen again." Mrs. Jung apologized while giving the folder she was holding to the nurse to her left. Yuri, who was standing to her right grinned at the director's words. Despite being under Mrs. Jung's ranking in the department, Yuri was like a daughter to her, most likely due to her relationship with Siwon. 

When Yuri first finished her residency at the hospital, her name wasn't on the list of residents the hospital wanted to keep as an employee. However, after Siwon found out, he personally talked to Mrs. Jung about Yuri's situation. Considering Yuri's ability and skill, Mrs. Jung agreed to have Yuri stayed as a permanent doctor in her department, the recovery department. Some may say Siwon was influential in this matter but that wasn't really why Mrs. Jung decided to keep Yuri as her staffs. Yuri never learned why.

"It's my duty to help whenever there are people in need." Yuri politely answered.

"Because we are a little short in staffs so I need to bother you. But don't worry, you won't have to stay for long, just for a little while. You'll be excused then." she said as she exited another recovery room. 

Mrs. Jung was gesturing the nurses behind her with her hands to assign them to their assignments when one of them approached after checking over the folder. 

"Director, the head of the Surgical department sent over some paper you need to sign immediately." Yuri heard.

"Ah really? I'll be right there." Mrs. Jung replied. "Yuri-ssi, please take care. Thank you very much." 

Yuri bowed in respect as she watched Mrs. Jung leaving for the elevator not far away. Looking up, she noticed Jaejoong was holding a bag of bibimbap heading her way from the other elevator. Jaejoong smiled as he held the bag higher to show Yuri while she laughed. 

"You are quick." Yuri greeted.

"I can't stand leaving you here and have the same thing happen." he said in a caring voice, which gave her a chill. "Can you eat now or shall I wait?"

Yuri flipped her folder and checked over her list. It seemed like she had about thirty minutes of free time before another patient was transferred to her care. Nodded, she took Jaejoong to her office and pointed to the small couch in a corner. Jaejoong felt this jaw dropped as he carefully scanned the office. He had never seen her place in details before, since the previous times were when he had to quickly rescue her from the killers.

"Now that I'm actually in here without being a rush, your office is quite nice." he complimented when he placed the food on the table.

Yuri laughed. "I'm glad you like this place so much. If you see the Director's office or the other department's, I don't think you will like mine anymore."

"Seriously?" She bobbed her head. 

Dropping his body on the couch and let it sank it, Jaejoong looked over at Yuri who was digging through the bag of bibimbap. He could tell she was tired but she still managed to be so bright and acted like nothing happened, he must say he was amazed at her skill. "I bought two since I didn't eat yet." Jaejoong claimed.

"Ah really? Here, let me prepare it for you."

"If you like." There was a short break before Jaejoong continued. "Was that your boss? The woman I saw leaving?"

"Yes. She is the director of my department."

"Is she nice? She has harsh aura to me." he pouted.

"No. When I first met her as a resident, she was a little harsh to everyone resident to help them learn. But after awhile, she became real nice to me and all when she met Siwon---" Yuri stopped, realizing she had gone a bit too far into the detail. She stared at Jaejoong whose eyes had gotten a real sharp look that was shooting at her. "No, she is nice."

"Is that bastard influential in this hospital too? Your director seemed to change her look after knowing about you two, doesn't she?" 

She could tell his voice was getting angry and it was her fault for mentioning Siwon. "Don't say that. You are so negative. Come on, here." 

"Do you, perhaps, still like him?" Jaejoong asked softly but he was obviously pissed.

Caught off guard, Yuri remained quiet. When talking about Siwon, she didn't know how she truly felt about him. She was definitely insanely in love with him since the beginning, but after the incident, that love was no longer burning. Yuri thought she hated Siwon at some point, but still, there was lingering feeling. She was insane for feeling that way, but truthfully, to a love that had deepened into her heart (even if it was one sided all along), she couldn't just erase it in a blink.

"What are you talking about? It's not worth mentioning." One thing I am sure of is that I can't forgive him.

Jaejoong thought he was making Yuri uncomfortable. "Yeah, you are right. Let's just forget about that." 

Picking up his box, Jaejoong began to eat spoon by spoon. Seeing Yuri was quiet, he told himself he was idiot for bringing up a sensitive topic. It was Yuri's feeling and of course he didn't know how she sincerely feel about Siwon, but after what he did, Jaejoong could make a bet that Yuri couldn't still possibly love him.

"I-" 

"Tiffany is here too. Her shift was extended to another 2 hours. You can visit her when you are done eating." Yuri cut his line. 

"Is that so?" he quietly commented. 

"She belongs in the emergency department, first floor." 

"Alright."

"I'm done. I have other business to take care of. Can you wait here until I'm done? I'll be finished at around 11." Yuri stood up and threw her box into the trashcan next to her. Picking up the folder, she fixed her white coat before heading out. "Okay, I'll be here." Jaejoong replied, watching her left the room. Now that he was alone in the empty office, his heart and mind began to pondered upon what he said earlier. Yuri appeared to look fine and didn't like mad at all, but he felt like he crossed the line. 

"Is she mad?" he mumbled.

 

An hour later, Yuri returned to her office assuming that Jaejoong may had went to find Tiffany on the lower floor yet she saw he was still there. The finished box was laying on the table and its owner was deep asleep, with his head falling on the couch's cushion. The couch itself wasn't long enough for Jaejoong to actually lie on so he was sleep sitting instead. 

Yuri smiled as she approached him to pick up the empty box and threw it away. "I must have put him through a lot." she whispered as her gaze continued to focus on Jaejoong's sleeping face. With his arms crossed and legs completely stretched out on the floor, Yuri thought he didn't look like an adult at all. Wasn't familiar with Jaejoong's past when he was still an angel, Yuri went on to suspect that he was a very childish person while in Heaven. 

"That's right, the blanket." she said in the middle of smiling. 

Completely forgot about the AC, she reminded herself that Jaejoong would need a blanket or else he would suffer for the next few hours. Because of her, he couldn't sleep peacefully and properly so she sort of felt bad. 

Using her key, Yuri unlocked the cabinet behind Jaejoong and grabbed a white blanket from the stack. Carefully and quitely, she gently covered him. When Jaejoong asked her if she still like Siwon, she was uncomfortable but somehow, she wasn't mad. Yuri thought maybe Jaejoong was only saying it out of concern because to everyone's eyes, what Siwon did was beyond imagination. She couldn't blame Jaejoong for thinking about her safety and recognizing that nothing good could ever come from her being together with Siwon.

The more she looked at Jaejoong and the more she thought about him, her heart suddenly flutter rapidly.

"This isn't what I'm suppose to have." she calmed herself and stepped away. Settling in her chair only feets away, Yuri gave Jaejoong one final look before focusing on the papers in front of her.

 

Jaejoong felt something slipped off his body when he shifted his body to a more comfortable position. Slowly opening his eyes, he discovered that a blanket had fallen to the ground, next to his feet. Getting up to retrieve it, Jaejoong observed that Yuri was sleeping on her desk, with her head on top of her hands.

Looking back at the blanket he was holding in his palm, Jaejoong figured Yuri must had put it on his body. To do the same, he brought the blanket to her and placed it on top of her shoulder. Kneeling down to the right side, where Yuri's face was visible, Jaejoong found himself watching her sleep for some reason. Gliding some hair away, Jaejoong realized that Yuri had a very tall nose.

Cautiously, he started to memorize her facial traits that he had never really cared about. Staring at Yuri's precious nose and her slightly opened lips, Jaejoong wondered what he was doing. It was very inappropriate of him for secretly staring at someone's face but he didn't want to stop. He was doing this in consciousness and he was fully aware.

Yuri had this special aura that was captivating.

"Jaejoong-ssi..." he heard. Yuri had gradually waking up when she felt Jaejoong's breathing so close to her face. Her voice was soft to Jaejoong's ears, which made him totally forgot what he was doing was supposed to be a secret. 

"Ah, you are awake?" his voice bursted out shakingly. 

"What are you doing?" she asked. 

Yuri was well aware that Jaejoong was looking at her while she sleeping. Even when her eyes were completely opened, Jaejoong didn't move or notice that she was awake until she called out his name. 

"Me? There was a bug, a bug on your face. I was only chasing it away." he defended himself and abruptly stood up. 

"There was?" 

Yuri rose from her position and straightened her back. Jaejoong who was in a very dumbfound situation awkwardly looked at Yuri, hoping that she didn't think he was a ert or anything. 

"Why are you like that, Jaejoong-ssi?" Yuri laughed. 

"Why am I like what?" 

"Why are you nervous? I'm not going to hurt you." she giggled again, making Jaejoong very embarrassed.

"I'm not nervous. Hey, I'm not! Hey!" he repeated but Yuri was still giggling and it got louder and louder. 

"Okay." 

Welcome back! I hope my readers will be satisfied with this chapter :) It is a bit longer than my previous chapters to fully add the emotions I have in store. Yay!

P.S Next chapter is going to be extra long. Please look forward to it :D