Am I Good Enough?

Eyes Like Stars

“Ow…” she (Yumi) cried out.

Recovering from her injury, Yumi was left with a huge black bruise, and an extremely sore right side of her body. She had barely enough time to recollect herself and warm up for audition before they called her number.

“Jung Shinae, number 227…Lee Kibum, number 228…Kimurayama Yumi, number 229,” the speaker blared for these three people over the span of 20 minutes, 10 minutes between each number.

Yumi took a shaky last “big breath” and stepped through the audition door. What she was afraid of was not if she failed her audition, or if she would do well or not. She was nervous and timid to face that “perfect” young man again. To be able to marvel at his magical aura that left so many girls in swoon-mode. Would she be able to handle it? She wasn’t sure. She was sure though that she had to face him again, and she would.
Shyly peeking in the judges’ direction, Yumi said her “hello” greetings in awkward Korean pronunciation. Walking timidly to the center of the room, she looked up through her thick-eyelashes to sneak a glace at the perfect man. Immediately she lowered her eyes again when she noticed he was looking back at her with those piercing, clear eyes. Blushing she waited for questions the judges were going to ask her.

“Full name please,” Judge #1 said. Judge #1 was a peculiar looking man. Thin and tall, he looked more like a wire. With his owl-eyed glasses pushed right up his short-pointed nose, he sounded a little stuffed up.

Yumi, not knowing many Korean words didn’t understand and just stared wide-eyed back at the judges.
“..Excuse me…what?” she answered back in the little, simple Korean words she knew, “I..not…Korean…Japanese..”

“Ah..” Judge #1 looked over to his right and whispered to a young woman in her mid-twenties perhaps. The woman took a small step forward and translated the question in Japanese for Yumi.

“He is asking for your full name. He would also like to know your age, school, any employment, and what you are auditioning for.”
Yumi nodded in appreciation to the translator, “My name is Kimurayama Yumi, 20-years-old. I am currently not taking any courses in college, except a beginner’s Korean language class, in pursuit of my dream to become a singer. I am not employed for I do not know the Korean language well at all.” Yumi breathed a small sigh of relief as the translator turned to the judge and repeated all of what Yumi said in Korean. He whispered back to her and nodded. The translator turned to Yumi once again.

“He says, okay. We can now start the audition. Please tell us what you are singing and we’ll begin!”
“I will be singing ‘Breathe (2 AM)’ by Anna Nalick.” Yumi shifted her weight a bit to center herself, and began her song.

Yumi’s mother had always told her she had a natural talent for singing and that she should go for an audition. After attending several singing lessons from various teachers in her childhood years of age 15 to 20 she had her basics down. However, natural talent overtook the instructions all her voice teachers advised her and Yumi sung her heart out. Her voice rang out clear as a crystal bell, and it seemed as if the heavens would cry in her presence. She herself changed while singing. It seemed if she changed into an angel, but not one from heaven. An angel from the stars, her eyes like stars.
When her song finished, all judges were starstruck. Had such a voice come from such a petite girl? Who was her teacher? Where had she come form?
Recovering from the miracle that just happened, the perfect man cleared his throat and whispered something into the translator’s ear. The translator turned to Yumi,

“He’s requesting to see you dance.”

Yumi froze. ‘Hold up. Dance? There said nothing about dance! I haven’t had dance since I was of age 10! Oh, I’m never going to get in after this.’ Despite her unfortunate thoughts, Yumi reluctantly gave in.

Pop music blasted filled the empty room and Yumi hesitantly began to move.

“…Stop…” Judge #1 said after a few seconds. Writing a few notes down he instructed the translator to tell Yumi her audition was over and that she could go.
Leaving the room, Yumi felt her cheeks go red and stole one last glace at the beautiful boy. She felt her whole face go red when she saw that he was holding back laugher.

She questioned to herself, 'am I good enough?'



Nichkhun’s side of the story:


In and out, in and out came the applicants for JYP Entertainment. There was an okay one, and a horrifying one. ‘Why do the bad ones try to audition?’ he sighed to himself. Nichkhun officially became bored after the 2nd audition and began to fiddle with his pen and doodle on his scratch paper. He heard the door click open, and carefully shut closed and bored, raised his head to find the center space open. ‘Is the person coming?’ he silently groaned.
In the midst of his silent groan, Nichkhun first saw the dark, coffee- colored waved hair. Intrigued for a second, he perked up a bit. He became fully interested when the cute girl he noticed earlier showed herself fully and his eyes followed her are she carefully moved to center of the floor.

“Full name please,” Judge #1 said.

“..Excuse me…what?” The girl answered in poor Korean pronunciation, “I..not…Korean…Japanese..”

Bighting his lip to keep from laughing Nichkhun looked away for a second. ‘That’s cute,’ he smiled to himself.

Nichkhun observed the girl more as she and judge #1 communicated. He noticed her thick-lashes, and petite figure. Her height was only about 5 foot 3 inches, he guessed and she had lovely eyes. Catching himself in the process of admiring her, he noticed he had missed her name and the rest of her information and had nearly missed the name of her song that she was going to sing.

When she started singing, Nichkhun was immediately captured. Listening to her heavenly voice, he noticed the change in her presence. He felt her changing. Blinking once, he noticed the full transformation. She had turned from the cute, short girl, to an elegant angel. She didn’t look like an angel that Nichkhun would think about if you mentioned the word. This angel was far more graceful. Pearls weaved into her rich dark locks and wings that seemed to take her to the stars and not heaven. Her eyes turned from the mesmerizing caramel color, to eyes of stars that he felt himself falling into, farther and farther.
As the song came to an end, Nichkhun could barely keep himself together. Clearing his throat he signed to the translator.

“Could you ask her to dance?”
Seeing her reaction to being asked to dance, the angel turned back to the girl she was before her enchanting song. The music started and she started to dance.

This time, the laughter was really hard to hold. Her song may be the best, but her dancing…needs lots of improvement. However, Nichkhun was laughing more because she was incredibly cute. The way her face got super red made her even cuter. Before he knew it, the girl was being led out of the room.

‘Oh, no! I need to find out who she is!’ Nichkhun attempted to get out of his seat, but his manager pulled him back sternly.
‘I need to know who she is…When will we next meet?’