An Unexpected Visitor

Eyes Like Stars

“Goodnight, haha, Nickhun, stop it!” Yumi giggled as Nickhun gave her another kiss outside her dorm room.

“No, I’m not leaving yet.”

Yumi finally surrendered, and gave into the kisses. Weaving her hands through Nichkhun’s streaked hair, she gave another giggle as Nichkhun made his way from Yumi’s lips, to .

“Ah, seriously? Come in now,” Sunah poked her head out through the tiny crack.

“Don’t be such a sour-puss Sunah, we’re just having fun!” Yumi winked at her friend.

“Well, hurry and end it soon. I’m tired, and I can’t afford to lose much more sleep because of your laughing!” Sunah huffed and stomped away.

“She’s just jealous,” Nichkhun softly murmered into Yumi’s ear, before gently kissing it.

“Perhaps,” Yumi pulled away for a second, “But we’ve seriously gotta speed up getting her and jaebum together.”

“You’re right…but after this!” Nichkhun swooped and picked Yumi up, bringing her lips to his and giving a full kiss.

“Okay, okay!” Yumi squealed, “Put me down! I gotta get sleep, and so do you superstar!”

“Aw, fine! I’ll see you tomorrow?” Nichkhun pouted.

“Mhm! Buh bye!” Yumi waved, and saw that Nichkhun made it down the stairs before turning back and slipping through the dorm door.

“Really now…there’s no need to be jealous Sunah,” Yumi started.

“Uh hu, sure,” Sunah teased, “Better to not speak when your makeup is smeared.”

Frantically, Yumi ran to the mirror and smoothed away the makeup that had been messed up. ‘I hope Nichkhun didn’t mind,” She worried.

“He wouldn’t have minded,” Sunah said, as if on cue, “He loves you too much.”

Smiling Yumi shrugged. “Let’s get to bed. We have lots of training tomorrow.”


The next morning, Yumi and Sunah went through their usual morning routine. Yumi and Sunah both woke up, Yumi always changed faster and made breakfast, and Sunah almost misses her bus.

After seeing Sunah off, Yumi went back inside the dorm room to get ready for her own classes. Hearing a knock on the door, Yumi tilted her head.

‘Someone at this hour? Perhaps Sunah rushing back for something she forgot?’ “COMING!” She yelled.

Fixing her hair, just at the slim chance it could have been Nickhun, Yumi was surprised to see a man’s foot she didn’t really recognize. Looking up, Yumi caught her breath.
The man’s face was aged and rough, yet the height and familiarity Yumi knew instantly.

“Otou-san…” She whispered, and her eyes clouded.

“Yumi…” The man started.

Yumi quickly shut the door. ‘Why’s Otou-san here? I haven’t seen him since that…since that day.’ Gripping her head, Yumi fell to the ground. “I don’t want to see you!” She cried.

“I understand…But I want to talk. I will come again.” The man’s rough voice seared through the door that blocked him.

Yumi pressed her ear to the door, and heard the sound of heavy footsteps fade and disappear. Sighing in relief, Yumi relaxed and slumped to the floor again.

‘I’ll never answer the door again…’
“KNOCK KNOCK” Yumi stiffened.
‘It can’t be him again.’ Yumi cracked open the door and saw the faint outline to Nichkhun. Opening the door wider, Yumi desperately flung herself at him and buried her face in his chest.

“Hey there, what’s wrong?” Nichkhun looked down at Yumi.

“I…I…I…” Yumi stuttered.

“Come, let’s calm you down, then we’ll talk,” Nichkhun gently led Yumi by the hand into the dorm, and sat down on the couch. Pulling Yumi on to his lap, he caressed her face, wiping her tears, and kissed her forehead.

“I…I saw my father today.” Yumi sniffed.

“Shouldn’t that be a good thing?” Nichkhun looked confused.

“No!” Yumi vigorously shook her head. “He disowned me when I was a little girl. Now, he suddenly came back, it scared me!”

Smoothing her hair, Nichkhun pressed the back of Yumi’s head to his chest again. “It’s okay. I’ll protect you. If you don’t want to see him, I’ll make sure it doesn’t happen. I’m here!”

Clutching to Nichkhun’s shirt, Yumi continued to sob, and the couple stayed put for a long time, Yumi crying, and Nichkhun soothing her…

Nichkhun’s side of the story:

Walking from Yumi’s dorm, Nichkhun couldn’t help but look back at the flickering light coming from her room.

‘I hope she’ll be okay.’

Nichkhun walked towards the bus stop. After comforting Yumi, Nichkhun tried to make sense of the expression she had. It was the same one, as before, in the 2PM dance studio. The painful, saddened expression. One he’d seen before.
Rounding the corner, Nichkhun spotted a man waiting at the bus stop.

‘That’s funny. I’ve seen him somewhere before too…’ Nichkhun squinted his eyes, trying to put the pieces together.

Suddenly his eyes widened. It was that girl’s father from many years ago! ‘What is he doing here?’ Frowning, Nichkhun approached the man. “Excuse me,” he began.

“Yes?” The man looked back at Nichkhun.

“I don’t know if you remember me, I’m Nichkhun. You attended my father’s business party many years back with your wife and daughter.”

“Oh, yes.” The man’s eyes widened, for he remembered.

“Well, this is for your daughter, whom you hurt that day!” Nichkhun drew back and slugged the man square in the jaw. Towering over him, Nichkhun grabbed a fistful of the man’s coat. “Why’d you hurt her! HUH?!?! IT WASN’T HER FAULT HER MOTHER DIED THAT DAY!” He yelled.

The man didn’t reply.

“TELL ME!” Nichkhun violently shook the man. “Where’s your daughter now? DID YOU COME LOOKING FOR HER?”

“I did come looking for her,” The man finally responded. “I came back to Japan to apologize to her. I wanted to ask Yumi’s forgiveness!”

“HUH?! YOU THINK AN APOLOGY WOULD JUST ERASE THE FEELING?!? Wait, what? Did you say Yumi? Yumi’s YOUR daughter?” Nichkhun dropped the man’s coat and drew back.

“Yes, Yumi Kimurayama is my daughter.”

Recollecting himself, Nichkhun now began to fully put together the pieces. He now understood Yumi’s fright, from both events. He now remembered her frightened expression.
‘It’s her.’ He thought, ‘I found her.’ Happy to have found her, Nichkhun didn’t forget Yumi’s message. “She doesn’t want to hear your apology! Leave her alone! You’ve caused her enough pain.”

“Why do you care so much?” The man quizzically looked Nichkhun over.

“Why? WHY? It’s because Yumi is my girlfriend now! I have the right to protect her, no?”

“You’re Yumi’s boyfriend? Even more helpful to me!” The man smiled, “Could you possibly ask her to meet me or something?”

Rage took over Nichkhun. “Did you not hear what I just said?” He impatiently puffed out, “Yumi doesn’t want to see you, EVER! Just leave her alone!”

“That’s not possible.” The man grinned, “I’m her father. I also have the right. I want to talk with her.”

“You gave up that right. You’re not her father. You said so yourself that day.” Nichkhun, tired of going in circles with this crazy man finally kicked the ground in frustration. “AISH! Just leave her alone! Don’t ever try this again, or you’ll answer to me!”

Scratching his head, Nichkhun sauntered away, anger boiling inside of him. ‘Yumi, I’ll protect you!’