A Faint Past

Eyes Like Stars

Yumi’s eyes fluttered open, and gazed with shyness into Nichkhun’s. They were strong and charismatic, the same look as the one he wore in the poster.
Becoming small and weak, Yumi gulped a tiny bit and looked at the floor blushing. Though she felt embarrassed, she didn’t mind that she was still being held in Nichkhun’s arms. His strong hands around her waist gave her a sense of security and comfort.

Realizing, Yumi became slightly confused and looked at Nichkhun’s face again, as if to seek something out. She had felt this exact comfort many years back, though the pressure was different, but the feeling was the same.

‘It couldn’t be…’ She thought, ‘I met Nichkhun just this past month.’ Shrugging off the thought, Yumi heard Nichkhun’s soft voice in her ear again.

“What do you say? You now know my true feelings. Are you willing?”

Yumi, again looked down at the floor out of embarrassment and timidly nodded. Suddenly, Yumi felt herself being lifted off the ground and found she was not staring at the floor anymore, but into Nichkhun’s beaming face. She saw him give a chuckle, and in return she gave a small giggle back.

After sharing a couple more small kisses, the couple decided it was late and Nichkhun had insisted in taking Yumi back. As they walked under the moonlight towards the dorm after departing from the bus, Yumi felt Nichkhun’s warm hand firmly grip hers.

When they got to the dorm, Yumi turned to face Nichkhun.

“Thanks for everything,” she said sincerely, “I’ll see you tomorrow at rehearsal.” Turing towards the door, Yumi began to turn the knob, but didn’t open the door because she was trapped in another hug. Smiling, Yumi turned back and gave a small peck on the cheek to Nichkhun. “Goodnight.”

“Goodnight…”Nichkhun replied with reluctance.

Yumi slipped through the small crack she’d managed to open and carefully looked around the room, making sure she hadn’t woken Sunah. Too late though, because Sunah was sitting on the sofa, arms crossed as mother would do to her daughter breaking a curfew.

“And where have you been? I know you had some extra practice, but it wasn’t supposed to take 3 and ½ hours!” She sternly said.

“I-I’m sorry,” Yumi made an apologetic expression and Sunah sighed.

“What where you doing?” She questioned, with a calmer tone.

“Unni,” seeing that Sunah wasn’t mad anymore, Yumi took the chance to tell good news.

“Ah…” Sunah acknowledged.

“What would you say…if I told you I was with my boyfriend?”

“Well, I would say that…WAIT WHAT?!?!?!” Sunah sat up straighter, “b-b-b-b-b-boyf-f-friend?” She stuttered.
Yumi smiled, seeing her unni blubber about.

“Surprisingly, he’s from the same band as the guy who you met the other day, what's his name, jaebum?” Yumi scrunched up her face trying to remember the name.

“So wait,” Sunah held up her hand, “let me get this straight. You’re new boyfriend is from the same band as the guy I’m crushing on is from?”

Yumi looked and blinked at Sunah, “uh hu…what of it? Is there something wrong?”

Sunah shook her head as if to straighten out the thought. “Nothing’s wrong, just wow. I can’t believe you’re actually…well…’taken’ now.”

Yumi smiled again and nudged her friend, “we’ll help you and jaebum!” She winked.

Sunah laughed, “Well thanks. But I’m pretty sure you’ll make a mess of everything then,” she teased.

Yumi pretended to put an ‘I’m hurt you’d think that way’ innocent face, “Why would you say something so cruel?” She turned away and began to fake cry, exaggerating the sobs and sniffs. Laughing, both girls got up to get ready for bed, but decided to have a ‘girl night’ and they whispered and giggled through the starry night.

Nichkhun’s side of the story:

Her lips tasted of sweet cherry, perhaps chapstick? Anyhow, it was pleasant, and Nichkhun was disappointed when the two had pulled away from the kiss.

Looking at Yumi’s reaction to the kiss, it still looked like she had some doubts, or something was on her mind. To be clear and straight to the point, Nichkhun took the initiative to speak.

“What do you say? You now know my true feelings. Are you willing?”

Scanning her face, Nichkhun watched as Yumi lowered her head, then slightly moved it up, then down again. Nichkhun’s worries all were washed away with that small movement. He’d never been so excited. He swept Yumi into his arms and swung her around.

‘She’s mine now! She’s mine!’ He gleefully thought, ‘no one can take her away!’ Seeing her laughter, Nichkhun was probably the happiest man on earth at the moment. Leaning down to give Yumi another kiss, Nichkhun noticed that this time she didn’t hesitate, and accepted it fully.

As Nichkhun and Yumi got off the bus, Nichkhun just couldn’t contain his bursting heart. He took Yumi’s hand and they strolled in the pale light of the streetlamps and moon.

When they got to Yumi’s dorm, Nichkhun could feel his heart sink again. He didn't want to leave her.

“Thanks for everything. I’ll see you tomorrow at rehearsal.”

Nichkhun gave a pleading look to Yumi, to tell her ‘don’t go!’ but she had missed it, for she was already getting ready to turn the knob.
‘Oh no you’re not,’ he slyly thought and wrapped his arms around her again. Turning his cheek towards her fact, he pointed to his temple. About a second later, he felt Yumi’s soft lips graze his temple and he was content.

“Goodnight.”

“Goodnight…”

When Nichkhun got back to the studio, he was immediately scouted by his band members.

“Yo, man where were you? We were worried sick!” jaebum bounced over.

“Yeah Nichkhun, I nearly STARVED because of you!” Chansung’s eyes blazed in false anger.

“Nickhun was practicing with Yumi because she was struggling with the combination,” Taecyeon, unsurprised, informed the boys.

“WHAT? Why didn’t you tell us? I could have helped too!” Junsu’s eyes widened and his lips went from a smile, to a pout.

“Yeah Nickhun, why’d you have to do that?” Junho piped in, hurt that his friend didn’t bother to tell him.

“W-w-w-w-w-what?” Wooyoung, shook his head trying to make sense of everything.

“Tell you guys the full story later…I was busy because I was with Yumi, I mean, my girlfriend.” Nichkhun smiled blissfully at the thought of the new title, and totally ignored the pained groans of Junho, Junsu, and Chansung.

-A little while later-

Nichkhun lay in bed, reflecting back on the whole evening. He smiled like a fool every time he thought about Yumi. His smile suddenly vanished though, when he remembered her reaction earlier though.

“I’m sorry! I’m so sorry! Don’t hurt me!”

Her pained voice kept replaying in his mind. Her desperate, tear-soaked face, and expression was still etched. It was an expression Nichkhun was familiar with though.

Ransacking his brain, he must have been too happy about Yumi being his girlfriend, because he couldn’t remember where he’d seen the sad expression before, and began to lazily daydream about what tomorrow would bring.