Confession of an Idol

Eyes Like Stars

Yumi peeked into the now dark practice room. She had returned 2 hours later, like she promised. Seeing that Nichkhun wasn’t there yet, Yumi quietly slipped into the room and didn’t even bother turning on the lights yet.

Looking around attentively, she began to notice many minor details that she had ignored that afternoon. Her gaze settled on the poster with all 2PM members. They all looked so charismatic and like their title, looked like “beast idols.” Searching him out, Yumi silently looked into the fake Nichkhun’s eyes, and could still sense that piercing feeling that sent a tingle down her spine.

Moving towards the mirror, Yumi trailed her fingertips along the surface and looked at the face that wore the same expression as she. The girl in the mirror didn’t remind Yumi of herself, though she knew it was herself. For some odd reason, this girl looked a lot happier, well at least a lot healthier. Her skin was clearer, not all bumpy and red like it used to be in high school, and she had got her face color back.

Reflecting about this, the memories began pouring out and Yumi gasped. Backing away from the mirror, eyes wide with fright, Yumi wanted to flee. Walking backward at a fast pace, Yumi didn’t notice as she bumped into Nichkhun’s chest. Breathing out another gasp, Yumi turned to him and held up her arms to her face.

“I’m sorry! I’m so sorry!” She cried out, “I didn’t mean it! Don’t hurt me!” Tears began to run down her cheeks.

“Are you okay?”
The lights in the studio flickered on and Yumi peeked through her trembling fingers to see Nichkhun’s face. Slowly taking her hands from her face, she tried to steady her breath and hurriedly tried to wipe the tears away.

“I’m fine,” she quietly sniffed, “Let’s begin rehearsing. I need to get this down soon! We’re performing this week on Thursday, no?”

“Well, okay, I agree, but are you sure you're okay?” Nichkhun’s face turned from the smile he had had one earlier to a worried frown. His brow furrowed in a concerned expression.

“Yeah, I’m fine,” Yumi put on a fake smile, “Teach me this step again please?”

Yumi dove into the private practice with the help of Nichkhun. After a couple more hours Yumi had the routine down and could perform it flawlessly. Nodding in approval, Nichkhun offered his hand to Yumi.
“Shall we try one last time?”

Yumi smiled shyly at Nichkhun, all fear gone from her mind and heart. As the couple twisted and turned according to the choreography, Yumi found herself in Nichkhun’s strong arms at the end. Both were breathing heavily, trying to calm their hearts.
Suddenly, Yumi could feel Nichkhun’s breath come closer to hers.

‘Oh gosh! Is he going to kiss me?’ She nervously, yet excitedly thought. Closing her eyes as Nichkhun’s warm breath fanned over her face coming even closer, she managed to hear a few soft words before she felt his light lips against hers.

“I like you…”

Nichkhun’s side of the story:

Jogging back towards the studio, Nichkhun knew that Yumi was already there. He had noticed she was the sort of person who would be punctual and always would be on time according to schedule.

‘Should be helpful when she debuts and is swarmed with activities,’ he thought. Stopping in front of the door, Nichkhun checked to make sure he was presentable, did a couple of head rolls and entered the room.
‘Why’s it so dark?’ He wondered, ‘Is it possible that she isn’t here yet?’

Then, he saw her. Smiling gently to himself, he watched as Yumi examined her reflection in the full-length mirror.

Normally, Nichkhun would have thought that looking at your own reflection often would mean you’re stuck up and full of yourself, but watching the serious and somewhat calming expression Yumi had, Nichkhun knew that wasn’t the case.

‘I’ll just watch from here a little,’ he thought blissfully to himself, ‘It’s nice to see her when she’s silent too. It as a warm and calm feel.’ Planting himself on the small black sofa, Nichkhun sat and began to watch Yumi.

Though he noticed her beauty and poise, Nichkhun could tell Yumi was troubled. As if on track, Nichkhun could see the terror rising in Yumi’s face. He heard her gasp and move backwards. Getting up to turn on the light, Nichkhun and Yumi collided.
About to apologize Nichkhun gazed in concerned wonder as Yumi reacted first.

“I’m sorry! I’m so sorry I didn’t mean it! Don’t hurt me!”
“Are you okay?” Nichkhun seeing her desperate tears immediately flicked on the lights and bent down a little to look her in the face.

“I’m fine, Let’s begin rehearsing. I need to get this down soon! We’re performing this week on Thursday, no?”

“Well, okay, I agree, but are you sure you're okay?” Nichkhun’s lip twitched a bit.

“Yeah, I’m fine,” Yumi put on a fake smile, “Teach me this step again please?”

‘You’re not okay,’ Nichkhun sadly thought, but he knew he shouldn’t ask questions.

Practicing with Yumi, Nichkhun could tell after awhile that Yumi’s scare had dissolved, and he could tell she was fully possessed with the dance steps. After she got the hang of it, he then realized that it would be a good time to confess soon, or it wouldn’t happen.
Grabbing her for one last run-through, Nichkhun daydreamed about how he should go about this. It wasn’t like he hadn’t confessed to a girl before, but why was he so concerned about this one? Was it because he was afraid she’d turn him down? He wanted this to be perfect.

Nichkhun was so deep in thought that he forgot that the two of them were dancing and eventually the music came to a stop.
‘Shoot…I got nothing…’ He thought frustrated. He looked into Yumi’s eyes and saw all her expressions in one, her sadness, anger, happiness, beauty, everything. He couldn’t help himself. ‘Here goes nothing.’

Leaning in, Nichkhun could tell Yumi was a bit surprised, but he ignored it, he was determined to let her know how he felt. Inching closer, he watched as Yumi became more into the moment and gently closed her eyes.

‘Does this mean she knows it already? She probably does.’

Nichkhun kept moving in. When he got to about a centimeter away from her lips, he said the words that had been in his heart from the moment he glanced at her.

“I like you…” And he pressed his soft lips to hers.