I'll Protect You

Good-bye Baby

A month passed. It was now October. Suzy completely adjusted to her new lifestyle. She no longer wore scandalous clothes to make Chunji jealous and chose to just be happy. Her happiness would be the ultimate revenge after all. People no longer gossiped about her, but now, everyone knew who she was. She dressed more modestly, but still better than her original self. She loved her new group of friends and was still doing exceptionally well in school. Everything was absolutely as it should be.

Except... life at home was still no different, and it seemed as if Paul had completely settled in without intentions of ever leaving. 

"I'll go pick up the kids." Madam offered. She kissed Paul before leaving the house. He was sitting on the couch, drinking a beer.

"You. Beer. Me." Paul grunted at Suzy.

Do you not have legs?! Suzy thought, annoyed. "Can you get it yourself?" she asked as politely as she could. 

"Please." Paul added sarcastically. Suzy took a deep breath and retrieved a bottle, not wanting to get in an argument with him. This wasn't the first time he had bossed her around like a servant. She handed the bottle to him, turned around, and suddenly felt a stinging on her . 

"Thanks, sweetheart." he drawled. 

DON'T YOU EVER TOUCH ME AGAIN. "Please don't touch me Paul. I'm really sensitive." Suzy said through clenched teeth, still trying to maintain her cool composure.

Paul snorted. "I'll do what I want." He kicked her on her thigh hard and continued to drink his alcohol and watch the latest drama on TV. Suzy stumbled foward a little and clutched her leg, gritting her teeth. This wasn't the first time Paul had kicked her either. 

Suzy got up and quickly dashed out the house. The sun was starting to set and tears were forming in her eyes. Paul is filthy and disgusting. She didn't pay attention to where she was walking and quickly turned at the corner of the sidewalk, her tears blocking her vision. Suzy bumped into someone. 

"Wait.. are you okay?" Samdong asked. Suzy quickly wiped at her tears, sniffling.

"Yeah, yeah. I'm completely fine." She tried to lie.

"No.. you're not." He quickly pulled her into an embrace. "You know you can tell me anything." Suzy's heart lept. "Or any of us." He added, referring to their group of friends. Suzy's heart sank a little. Of course he means as friends.

"Yeah, I know." Suzy wiped her tears again. "I'm just being dramatic. It's totally fine." Samdong looked at her with concerned eyes.

"I don't think it is." he murmured softly. He pulled her back into his embrace. "You can trust me with everything." 

The two sat down on the curb of the sidewalk. Suzy told Samdong about her life at home. She once trusted Chunji with this story, but now that Paul moved in with her, it actually got a million times worse. 

Samdong's fists clenched. "I'll freaking go take care of that piece of sh-"

"No... don't. Please. My stepmom would be furious. He... Paul.. hasn't done anything to hurt me yet." Suzy tried to persuade Samdong.

"Yet?! Are you kidding? What.. so we're just gonna wait for him to actually do something and then react? No. No way. Suzy, I'm not letting you get hurt."

"Look. Thanks, but ... that'll just cause more drama. I'll be fine. Really. Uh.. I gotta go back. Don't tell anyone, okay?" She asked timidly.

"Your secret's safe with me. But I swear to God if it gets worse, you better tell me." he gazed at her with concern. "I'll protect you."

* * *

I'll protect you...

Samdong's words helped Suzy get through the rough days at home. He was everything she wanted in a friend... and sometimes she couldn't help but think that they could be something so much more. But Jieun... Jieun was now Suzy's best girl friend. She was super sweet, made Suzy laugh, and texted her often. Sometimes they hung out or went shopping together. They always were together in school and Suzy was greatful for the friendship. 

"So.. there's a Fall Ball coming up." Jieun said one day in school. 

"Ooh. Sounds interesting. You going with Samdong?" Suzy asked, suggestively wiggling her eyebrows. Jieun laughed.

"Of course. I honestly couldn't be happier with him. It's officially been one year and 2 weeks." She stated happily. Guilt washed over Suzy. Why was she having feelings for Samdong when he clearly was extremely serious with Jieun? It wasn't right.

"Anyway... I wanted to say, you should come with us to the Fall Ball!" Jieun added.

"And be a third wheel? No way! You guys have your fun!" Suzy shut her locker and the two began to make their way to the parking lot. Samdong drove Jieun home and Suzy to her waitressing job at The Mug everyday after school. He was a junior and the two girls were sophomores. 

"I'm totally serious. All of us can go together. It'll be us three, Wooyoung, and the rest of the gang! It's gonna be sooo fun. Please?" Jieun gave her sweetest smile as they got into the car, Samdong already there and waiting.

"I'll have to ask Madam and you know how strict she is." Suzy explained as she buckled herself into the backseat of Samdong's SUV. Jieun got into the passenger seat next to Samdong and pouted.

"She'll let you go! She has too! Every girl always goes to Shinhwa school dances!" Suzy seriously doubted this but smiled, not wanting to disappoint her friend.

"I'll ask..." Suzy offered.

"Yay!" Jieun cheered from the front seat. Samdong looked at Suzy through the rearview mirror and they held eye contact for a second before he glanced away, pulling out of the parking lot. 

He has to stop doing that. It drives me crazy. Suzy's heart could never stop fluttering under Samdong's gaze.

I'll protect you...

* * *

It seemed like in no time at all, the Fall Ball was arriving. Suzy wore a white dress, did her hair and make-up, and stepped out of the bathroom of her house.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSDMaUu_4X3DSY65_kUKTu

She almost bumped into Paul who eyed her creepily.

"Where do you think you're going?" he took a step closer to her and Suzy could smell his beer breath. She stepped back, feeling her body touch the wall behind her.

"I'm going to a school thing. Eunjung is too, but she left without me." Paul took another step closer, his body an inch away from hers. He placed his hand roughly on her neck and shoulder area, grasping her tightly. 

"Don't think you can escape me." He threatened menacingly. Fear gripped Suzy. 

"Please.. stop." She pleaded, trying to look away from the face that desperately needed to be shaved.

Suddenly, Timmy and Jimmy bounded up the stairs, shooting each other with toy darts. Not watching where they were heading, they bumped into Paul, who lost his grip on Suzy. She immediately ran down the staircase, grateful for these two young boys. She could hear him yelling but knew that he would never lay a finger on them. Only Suzy suffered the abuse.

* * * 

Slightly disheveled, Suzy made an attempt to take deep breaths and fixed her hair. 

"You okay?" A concerned Samdong asked her. Suzy nodded, managing a weak smile. Jieun wrapped arms with Suzy and Samdong, smiling. 

"I'm so excited!!" She exclaimed. Samdong chuckled fondly.

The group of friends entered the school gym. But, this was Shinhwa Academy after all, so of course the school gym looked like a true venue for an actual party. Everyone began to dance together and enjoy themselves. Suzy noticed herself occasionally bumping into Samdong and feeling sparks of electricity but chose to ignore it. Jieun and Samdong deserve each other, she reminded herself. After a song ended, Suzy went to the drinks station and downed some lemonade. 

"You look amazing." 

Suzy turned to find herself facing Chunji. 

~ ~ ~

soelle1000: Yay for Timmy and Jimmy to the rescue! :)

Pink3raser: hahaha! oh no! but now you'll feel worse because of Paul T_T

*SPECIAL MESSAGE!*

School is starting soon, but I will try to update when possible :) Please leave comments to encourage me as that will motivate me to update faster and more often!

Anyone have a twitter? FOLLOW ME: @gotlovetogive 

Mention that you're a reader and we can be twitter buddies :)