Happy One-Month Anniversary

Good-bye Baby

 

> Jieun: Hey Suzy! This is Jieun.

> Suzy: Hi Jieun!

> Jieun: A bunch of us are hanging out this Friday at my house! We're just gonna watch a movie or chill out. Wanna come? :)

Suzy glanced at her phone. Had it always been this easy to make friends? Or was it the fact that she had just dumped Chunji that made her instantly popular?

She thoughtfully looked at her phone and texted a response back.

> Suzy: Haha I can't wait :)

She tossed her phone aside and looked at the pile of books on her desk. Time to study...

* * *

"Suzy! Eunjung!" Mom called from downstairs. Suzy snapped out of her trance of serious studying and walked down the steps.

"Yes, Mom?" 

"Don't sass me, Suzy!" Mom said sternly. Suzy mentally rolled her eyes before sitting down in front of her on the couch. It looked like things were getting serious if her stepmother needed both her daughters for something. 

Eunjung casually strolled down the stairs, annoyed. "What do you want Mother?! I was in the middle of videochatting someone!" She plopped herself down on the couch a good few feet away from Suzy.

"Well... you know things are getting harder financially for everyone these days." Mom began.

"Your point? It's not affecting us right... I mean, we're still rich right?" Eunjung exclaimed, suddenly concerned.

"Yes.. and no." Mom started to explain. "We still have money saved up, but it's Suzy's father's money. She won't get it until she turns 18. Our current financial state is fine... but I'm gonna need to ask you guys to help out."

Eunjung's jaw dropped. "You can't be serious! I can't work! I'm too young!!"

"So.. you expect us to get jobs?" Suzy spoke up for the first time.

"Yes, don't be so selfish! I'm a single-handedly supporting the three of us. Two extra incomes will help support our lifestyle.. and college is soon after all. We have to save up for that." Eunjung and her mom pointedly looked at Suzy.

"I guess I can get a job?" Suzy offered. She didn't mind that much. Getting a job would mean getting out of the house more often. 

"Good. I expect two paychecks at the end of each week in my room." With that, their mother got up and left.

"Pft. I'm not working. You're gonna get two jobs." Eunjung stated, getting up.

"What?" said Suzy. 

"And if you don't... I'll tell Mom about your ridiculous stunt with Chunji." Eunjung threatened.

"You know about that?" Suzy asked, surprised.

"The whole school knows." Eunjung left, satisfied. Suzy gritted her teeth. Two jobs... I can handle it.

* * *

Suzy spent the rest of the week leafing through ads and looking around town for any open jobs. Hmm... the diner has an open waitress spot. Maybe I can get a job there?

Absentmindly looking at the pamphlet in her hand and walking towards her locker, Suzy bumped into someone and looked up. Immediately, she saw Samdong and the two held eye contact for a solid few seconds before they both said at the same time, "Sorry." Then, they both laughed. 

"So, what are you looking at?" Samdong asked. 

"Oh.. just an employment ad I found." Suzy waved off, sticking the flyer into her bag.

"You're looking for a job?" Samdong questioned. "Ever thought about modeling?"

Suzy laughed. "Don't flatter me. I could never land a modeling job."

"No.. I'm serious! My dad's in charge of a modeling campaign for a theme park right now, and they're short on models. They would definitely hire you! You're tall and pretty." Samdong warmly smiled. 

A blush instantly formed on Suzy's face. "Do you really think I could get the job?"

"Definitely. And you're coming on Friday to Jieun's house right?" he asked, handing her a piece of paper with all the information.

Suzy nodded. 

"Good." He gave her a warm smile before turning around and leaving. 

Your feelings for him are purely friendly. Suzy tried to calm her beating heart. That was her new friend's boyfriend after all.
 
* * *
On Thursday night, Suzy rode her bike to the modeling agency. 
 
“Hello! You must be Suzy. I’m Samdong’s dad. Let’s get started right away.” The kind man introduced himself.

“Hi! I hope today is very successful!” Suzy answered respectfully.

She was ushered away by assistants to get her hair, make-up, and outfit on before meeting the other six models. The other very muscular, very attractive six models. Perfect. Another opportunity to seek revenge on Chunji!

11621-z9e38i63g1.jpg

 

Each model received multiple copies of the picture and a generous paycheck. 

"Thank you!" Suzy said, bowing to everyone. 

"It was nice working with you." Wooyoung said. "Suzy Bae, smartest girl in our class, a model? Who would've known?"

Suzy got another sinking feeling in her stomach. Was she so shallow that she did not know a single other person's name in her grade besides Chunji and his friends? She gave him a weak smile. 

"Nice working with you too! See you in school tomorrow!" She quickly hurried out, anxious to get home. 

* * *

“This is unacceptable! Suzy, the house is an absolute mess! Clean EVERYTHING up.” Her stepmother demanded. Suzy held back a sigh before slaving away. She was already exhausted from biking.

“Ew. Go take a shower you smell gross!” Eunjung commented. “Ugh, why do I live with an absolute pig?”

Suzy rolled her eyes. Life at home is the one thing that won’t change.

* * *

It was finally Friday. Today should’ve been Chunzy’s one month anniversary. What a shame. For the first time, Suzy felt a wave of sadness overcome her. This week had been awfully lonely. Sure, she became pretty good friends with Jieun and Samdong by eating lunch together, but she felt like such a third wheel.

When she got to school that day, she was wearing a tight, short black skirt, a bright red shirt, and high boots. Today was the last day that she would dress scandalously. She had done so the entire week since their break-up and frankly, she was getting sick of it herself. None of the guys were, however. No one could stop talking about the new Suzy Bae.

She approached Chunji at his locker. He was surrounded by his usual crew. He was shocked that she approached him first. The whole week she basically shot daggers at him with her eyes.

“Here’s your sweatshirt.” Suzy said, tossing it at his face. Then she leaned over and taped a copy of her photoshoot inside his locker. On it, she had written, “Happy Anniversary. XOXO”. Then she walked off, satisfied. That’s it. We’re officially over. I think I’ve already gotten my revenge.

Suzy could hear the guys hollering and wolf-whistling at the picture. She allowed herself to look back once, just in time to see Chunji looking slightly sad before laughing along with his other friends.

It was fine. He deserved it.

Besides, she had completely moved on and couldn’t wait to hang out with her new friends later that night.

The thought of Samdong for reasons unknown to Suzy made her extremely happy.