New Room

Good-bye Baby

It was only a minute when Suzy realized how rash she had been. Although it had seemed like a cool, confident move, it finally dawned on her how stupid it was. Where could she go? She didn't even have any money. After all, she was only a sophomore in high school. 

Refusing to be discouraged, she quickly turned around to retrieve her bike, making sure that no one saw her. Hopping on, she rode to the only place she could think of. 

* * *

"Suzy! What are you doing here?" Her boss at The Mug warmly welcomed her into the shop. 

"I have a favor to ask you, Mrs. Kim. " Suzy asked.

"Oh sure, what is it?" She inquired.

"That space upstairs.. can I rent it out? My parents are uhm, going away on a long business trip and I can't go with them because I have to finish out my education." 

Mrs. Kim frowned.

"Suzy, you're 15. You can't live on your own. Where are you parents? I'd like to speak with them." She knew that this would be stupid. 

"It's okay, Mrs. Kim. I might be staying with other family after all. Thanks! Bye!" Suzy quickly left the store. She hit her head a few times, muttering how dumb the decision was. "What do I do now??"

It was as if the heavens were on her side. Just then, Suzy received a text.

>Jieun: Hey. I'm moving back. Can we talk? Come over 35 Millard Way, new house.

>Suzy: I'll be there in 5

She knew where Millard Way was, it was one of the smaller houses in Shinhwa Town. Strange, because almost everyone was rich here.

* * *

Before long, Suzy arrived at a small, red brick house. She hurriedly ran the doorbell, still carrying a bag of belongings and her school bag.

Jieun opened the door. She looked different. She seemed much more mature now. Older. Wiser. Smarter. Better. Her hair was perfectly curled, her make-up looked fresh and natural, and her outfit was just the right amount of casual. 

"I'm back and you already think you're moving in?" Jieun grinned, eyeing Suzy's bags. The awkward atmosphere from before had been broken. Suzy dropped her things and flung her arms around her old best friend. 

* * *

The two old friends were sitting on the couch in Jieun's small living room. Suzy had already spent the last half hour profusely apologizing for the Samdong kissing incident and how terrible of a friend she was. Jieun just smiled sadly and accepted the apology. There was no reason to continue fighting. She had also apologized for slapping Suzy.

Finally, things were right between them.

"So, tell me, why did you come back?" Suzy asked, curiously.

"The new school . My dad got fired. My parents kept fighting and they finally decided to divorce." She stated matter-of-factly. "So now I'm living with my mom here."

They chatted more and caught up with family issues and Jieun grew horrified as she learned of Suzy's conditions. 

"I'm an awful friend! I never knew." She said, tears in her eyes. "You're living here. I don't care." Jieun said, firmly.

When Jieun's mother came home, they worked it out. Suzy stubbornly refused to live there for free and offered to give her paycheck to Jieun's mother. They finally agreed that Suzy would pay for her portions of the house but she would get food for free.

* * *

The next day at school, when Jieun walked back through the halls with Suzy, rumors were swirling around. 

Finally, Samdong layed eyes on Jieun. 

They held eye contact for a few seconds before Samdong shut his locker and turned the other way.

What really happened between them was still a mystery. One that Suzy had to figure out.