Remembering

His Crimson Eyes

I am not popular nor a loner. I am friends with everyone. I know everyone in my hometown. I grew up with them. I grew up in a town where every single person knows you. It was like a prison to me. Ever since I was born, nothing changed a thing. Oh wait, maybe something did change, while I was away.

It was still the same old town I grew up... but I noticed something has changed. Several years ago, a huge storm wrecked our town, and a plague followed. The elders believed that it was because of the modern generation's fault that bad things keep on happening to us. They said they had angered the spirits, and an unknown entity is about to come. When they told us about that, my parents and so as the others, never believed a single thing. They slowly moved apart from their beliefs and tradition.

I was influenced by my parents and never believed any myths. After the calamity, my parents sent me to another country with my little brother. After a few years, my brother wanted to go back. I stayed. Two years passed and I'm months away from being eighteen years old, I decided to travel back to my home country and town.

There is one thing that has been bugging me ever since I first stepped onto the town's ground when I arrived. It was obviously warm. But somewhere in that warmth has changed the town. My brother greeted me first. He hugged me so tightly. I missed him, and he missed me as well. I noticed an unfamiliar boy standing a few feet away from us. I asked my brother who it was.

"Noona, what are you talking about? You don't know him?" he said. I shook my head. And he gave me an unsatisfying look. "But how could you forget them? We've been friends since long ago."

"But I don't remember anything..." I told him and I said sorry.

"It's okay. It has been many years, so of course you wouldn't remember them." He said.

Did I hear him say right? Them? Oh well. The boy looked at me with a bewildered look. It was as if he wasn't expecting me.

As far as my memory could remember, I have no idea who this new family is. Mom told me they have been living there for a very long time, and way before the plague came. She thought I've had amnesia. But, I never had one. I searched for something in my head but couldn't come up with one. They believed that something was wrong with me, and that I was away for too long that I forgot people. I don't easily forget people.

When I saw him for a split second one afternoon, as soon as the sun was setting down behind the mountains' horizon, I knew something was up. It was very much odd and wrong. Because when I saw him, his beautiful face was imprinted in my mind. When I slept that night, a memory came swirling in my head.

He was right there staring at me, several years ago. I had bloodstains all over my shirt... from the fall I had. I didn't cry. I just looked at him back.

It was the same face that I saw today. I remember now. I knew him all along, but they never lived in our town before, I was sure of that.

How could he not change? He still had the same face from several years ago. The same beautiful face.

To be continued.