10

Donghae Meets The Monkey

 

Read A/N at the end please ^^

----------

When morning came, I also came to reach a conclusion too. Since Monkey was originally a human, why not bring him along when Teukie hyung and the others found me? He then would be able to learn human languages in a more educated way and probably we could talk like normal friends in a normal circumstance!

That’s what I should do! Why didn’t I think about it?

Monkey sat up and rubbed his eyes cutely, then smiling his awesomely dazzling smile at me. I smiled back and then he stood up to prepare our breakfast.

“Eat, eat!” Monkey ushered me some fruit like always.

I chew the fruit while thinking what I should do to get the helicopter to notice me. Should I make the SOS sign I saw in movie? That would surely attract attention but then Monkey would probably pester me and I ended up procrastinating. Just waiting in one location would probably not noticeable too since this was forest…

I was still thinking even after the fruit was finished and as usual, we walked outside. Probably we would just play with Gorilla family again today or just playing around.

Monkey spread one of his arms while his other hand gripped a vine. I held onto him tightly while looking at the surroundings, and then I found it. A nice, sturdy and tall tree that stood out from the rest. Excitedly, I quickly pointed at that tree while trying to signal Monkey to take me there. Luckily, he understood me and although he seemed to be confused, he brought me there.

I climbed until the tallest branch that I could find and Monkey joined me, sitting beside me while we looked in front.

“Wow.” I let out a gasp when I realized I could see the entire forest from here. The forest was extremely wide and the trees looked almost the same to me, except that there were different heights. I didn’t even know where Monkey’s house was. It was amazing of Monkey to know his directions really well.

We stayed there waiting; I hummed some songs that I could remember to Monkey because if I talked, he probably wouldn’t understand. And everyone enjoyed music anyway according to me, animals were not an exception. Monkey seemed to enjoy it too. He closed his eyes and tilting his head while still smiling.

I was at the 10th song when the buzzing was heard again. Monkey quickly stood up and his eyes darted around while he tugged me to climb down. But I didn’t want. This was probably my chance so I shook my head firmly and keeping my foot rooted on the ground.

“Hae!” He called when the buzzing sound was closer and closer. I could see a tiny black dot from the distance. “Hae!” He sounded panicked now.

I waited for several seconds until the black dot was closer and then flailed my free arm (the other was in Monkey’s grip), “Hey!” I shouted.

“Hae!” He tried hard to pull me.

“Hey!” I shouted again, trying to beat the buzzing sound, “Can you help me?!”

Suddenly someone inside the helicopter shouted back while it still maintained a safe distance from my location, “Who’s that?!”

“DONGHAE! I’m Donghae!” I yelled.

“Donghae!?”

“Yes!!!!”

A person peeked from the helicopter and I breathed in relief when I recognized the person as Heechul hyung. He seemed to recognize me too, because he smiled widely and then moved his head back in then shouted, “Okay, we’re gonna send you a ladder! Be careful!”

“Okay!” I smiled widely, and then turned to my side to ask Monkey to join me, “Hey, you-“

But Monkey wasn’t there. I didn’t even realize that my arm was awkwardly hanging in the mid-air and the spot next to me was empty.

 “Monkey?” I called while looking down, hoping to spot him, “Monkey? Monkey! Monkey, where are you? They aren’t bad guys, Monkey!”

He probably was hiding somewhere but he was probably afraid of the sound. I tried to spot him but to no avail. He was good at hiding, and I had no skill in spotting someone.

The ladder was already dropped down from the helicopter while it was moving slowly to me.

“Monkey!” I called desperately again. No! I wanted to see him, he was already a dear friend of mine and I wasn’t going to go without seeing him again, “Monkey! Please, just show yourself!”

“Hae! Hae, grab the ladder!” Heechul hyung’s voice called me from behind, but I was still looking down.

“Monkey!”

“Hae, what are you doing? Quickly grab the ladder!”

“Wai- Wait!” I looked around desperately but still not spotting him at all. Even a glimpse was okay with me, but he didn’t show himself at all.

I bit my lips while tears unconsciously formed on my eyes. I probably couldn’t see him after this… Why he didn’t want to show up? Was our friendship that shallow?

“Seriously, Lee Donghae, what are you doing?!” Heechul hyung’s voice suddenly sounded so close.

I turned around and saw him already climbing down the ladder and stretched his hand toward me.

“Quickly!” He said.

I looked down one last time sadly, but still found no one. I sighed and took Heechul hyung’s hand while my hand found its way to grip the ladder.

I smiled sadly at the forest while the helicopter moved away.

I think I will miss him, my friend Monkey.

-----------------------

A/N: Now then the real deal will start in chapter 11 onwards ^^ 
I forgot to tell you that Hae is 20 years old, so I  made Teuk enlist when he was 21 (since he was three years older than Hae) :3
Sorry this took so long and my other fic is just asdfjkl
I'm kinda stuck with the other fics but I have many more ideas for this one so I hope I won't be having writer's block :/
See you in next chap ^^