Kai/Baekhyun

Hipster Exo Drabbles

 

               He didn’t want to say anything, not with the mob of fans surrounding them, but Kai’s hand was around his shoulder. Kai kept leaning down to talk to him, point out something random on the street and make a light comment about it.

                Really, it was weird. Kai usually kept his distance from Baekhyun, and Baekhyun didn’t blame him. Baekhyun had beat out Moonkyu for a spot in Exo, and Kai and Moonkyu had been friends for years. It was no wonder Kai didn’t like Baekhyun.

                Or didn’t he? Suddenly, with Kai’s hand resting on his shoulder and his voice drifting into his ear, Baekhyun wasn’t so sure. He looked around to see if anyone else had noticed this strange behavior, but if they did, nobody said anything.

                Baekhyun kept up the act of being friendly, but inside, he was panicking. What had prompted this?

                Once they were back in the hotel, away from the prying eyes of their fans, Baekhyun brought it up.

                “What was that on the street?” he asked Kai, who was attempting to sleep.

                “What was what?” he said groggily.

                “Your arm! Around my shoulder!” Baekhyun cried, and Kai sighed as he propped his head up on his hand. “You used to only do that to Kyungsoo.”

                “You two are the perfect height, and my back hurts.”

                “Oh, shut up. Why put your arm on my shoulder when Kyungsoo is the perfect height? Heck, even go to Suho! Why me?”

                “You were closest,” Kai said, leaning back on the bed again.

                “You were making small talk,” Baekhyun persisted. Kai opened his eyes again.

                “Are you annoyed?” he asked, and Baekhyun just gaped at him.

                “I’m confused,” Baekhyun replied. “You don’t like me, Jongin.” Jongin bolted up and looked at him.

                “What?” Kai asked, and Baekhyun laughed.

                “It’s common knowledge that you resent me,” Baekhyun said. “I replaced Moonkyu-ssi.”

                “But it’s not that I don’t like you,” Kai said earnestly. “Really.”

                “Jongin, until you started ignoring me completely three weeks ago, you were just mean to me,” Baekhyun deadpanned.

                “I—” Kai started, but stopped and heaved a sigh. “To tell you the truth, I’m confused too.”

                “Well, obviously,” Baekhyun scoffed, “because—”

                “Because I thought I didn’t like you until three weeks ago when I suddenly started feeling like being nice to you, and then I was so weirded out by that feeling that I couldn’t face you at all, and finally this morning I mustered up the courage to pay some positive attention to you, but now you’re just confusing me again.”

                “I…wait, what?” Baekhyun stuttered. “I don’t understand.”

                “You took Moonkyu’s spot, but…hyung, I just can’t not like you. Aish,” Kai muttered, running his fingers through his hair in embarrassment. “Sorry. I totally understand if you can’t accept my feelings. I mean, I wasn’t very nice to you.”

                “Accept your feelings? Jongin, are you confessing to me?” Baekhyun asked in awe.

                “Yeah,” Kai replied, looking up at Baekhyun. “So, uh…”

                “I’m surprised. But I think,” Baekhyun added quickly, “I think we could make this work.”

                “Really?” Kai asked eagerly.

                “But you have to be nicer to me!” Baekhyun scolded teasingly, and Kai laughed in relief.

                “Trust me, I will,” Kai smiled. “I will.”

THE MOST FUN TO WRITE. Ah this pair. I based it off of the rumors that Kai and Baekhyun didn't get along, but I was like...these fancams suggest otherwise. So yeah. Solely based on those. I don't usually follow Baekkai/Kaihyun whatever it is. It was fun though ahlahelgakeg.