Hanging with Friends

My Older Chinese Lover

Geunseok and I soon arrived to my apartment where I offered him something to eat or drink. He turned it down saying that he was fine and we both settled down onto my couch in front of the TV. I didn’t know what to talk about with him so we fell into an awkward silence. At least until he spoke up.

            “So Soohyun-ah I didn’t know that you went to my school. Why didn’t you mention it when I was helping you and your friends with your bags?”

            “Because I didn’t go to the school then. I just transferred this year. At that time I was only staying with my brother for the summer.”

            “Oh I see. No wonder you didn’t know who I was. I mean everyone knows who I am.” He said as he let out a small chuckle. I would think that he was being full of himself but I figured he was saying it in a sarcastic way.

            “Yea, you seem to be really popular. Even freshmen know who you are. I still don’t understand why you would want to hang out with me though since you probably have a million other friends.”

            “That’s because I like you Soohyun. Plus who wouldn’t want to be around you.”

            “Why don’t you ask the people at my old school?”

            “Huh?”

            “Nothing. Anyway why don’t we practice the lines those lines now.”

            “Ok. You should look over them first. I already have them memorized.”

            “Seriously?!”

            “Yea. I mean I help Jae Wook-nim make the mini scripts for you guys so I should have them memorized.”

            “Oh well I guess that makes sense.” I said before growing silent to read over the lines. This scene was one between two people and one of them was confessing their love to the other. My eyes widened as I re-read the lines. I felt that the scene was a little too intimate to be given to us on the first day of class but I decided that if I wanted to become a serious actor I would have to get used to scenes like this one day. I wish I had Lay to rehearse with since it would be slightly easier; however.

            “Are you ready?” Geunseok asked and I nodded my head as I tried to get myself into character. Once again we had to fill our own names in for the characters and I had the first line.

            “Geunseok… I have something to tell you.”

            “What is it Soohyun?”

            “You have to promise not to get mad.”

            “Ok.”

            “And you have to promise to not say anything until I finish talking.”

            “Come on. Tell me what it is already.” He said with a smile on his face to give it a sort of joking quality between friends.

            “Well the thing is…I sort of…like you.” I mumbled out the last part to give it the feeling of my character being shy in confessing his feelings.

            “I like you too. I mean we’re friends aren’t we?”

I shook my head and lowered my eyes from his face. “No, I really like you. More than friends.”

            “What are you trying to say Soohyun?”

            “I want to date you!” I blurted out the next line and could actually feel my cheeks burning slightly. It just felt absurd to me to say this to a person I sort of only met today. I felt his hand on my cheek as he caressed it gently just as he did in class and I looked up to face him.

            “Is that true?” He asked silently and looked deeply into my eyes.

            “Yes.” I whispered out my last line. He was supposed to lean in for a kiss next but not actually kiss me. The last action was there to see if we could keep our composure. So I readied myself for it as he slowly leaned in but the next thing I knew his lips were actually on top of mine. Once I fully realized that he was kissing me I pulled away quickly and looked at him with wide eyes.

            “That wasn’t in the script.” I said as I covered my mouth slightly.

            “I know. You didn’t seem to mind too much though.” Geunseok said as he started to inch toward me again but I extended my arms.

            “No, stop. I’m already seeing someone.”

            “Oh really? Then what’s his name?” He asked me as he raised an eyebrow as if questioning me. Before answering his question I decided to ask one of my own.

            “What makes you think it’s a guy? I never said I was gay.”

            “You kind of did.”

            “When?”

            “During class. The lover that died wasn’t given a gender and you automatically made him a man.”

I thought back to the class and I completely remember saying ‘him’ multiple times.

            “So now, are you going to tell me this boyfriend of yours name or not?”

            “It’s Lay.”

            “Lay? Ok you’re completely making him up now. I mean who would name their child that. Now if you just don’t want me kissing you right now that’s fine but, you should at least let me take you on a date.”

            “What? No! I seriously have a boyfriend. Lay’s not his real name, its Yixing, but Lay is his stage name. I’m not just turning you down because I don’t like you. You seem like a nice guy and you’re cute but I simply can’t date you.” I said in a rushed way so I could reassure him that I wasn’t simply turning him down.

He stayed silent for a moment as he seemed to look me over, probably trying to tell if I was lying or not. I was about to speak up but he spoke first.

            “Hmm…Alright then. Sorry for kissing you so suddenly. Anyway I have to get going, my shift at work is starting soon.” Geunseok said as he stood up. I stood up as well and walked him to the door.

            “Oh ok. Well we can still be friends right? I mean you did help me with the lines and I think it would be nice to hang out again.”

            “Yea but you’re going to have to start calling me ‘hyung’ now.” He said with a smile as he ruffled my hair.

            “Ok! See you tomorrow hyung.” I smiled back and waved him goodbye as he left. I was so glad that we were going to continue to be friends even after what happened. He really was a nice guy.

 

            It was almost 11:30 and I had just finished up the assignments that some of my teachers had given me for the day. I always hated teachers that made it their mission to give students homework on the first day of school. It wasn’t too hard for me though since I was in the advance classes in my old school. The only reason that I had finished it so late was because I was procrastinating and didn’t start it until almost 9 o’clock.

            I checked my phone to see if I had a text or call from Lay but still nothing. I guess he wouldn’t be getting out until really late tonight. I can just see him on the weekend like we planned. So I got up from the table and headed for the shower.

            As I was finishing up getting dressed in my pj’s, I heard my phone ring. I quickly ran to pick it up since I knew it would be Lay. I didn’t know how long he would want to talk for but I really wanted to hear his voice.

            “Yoboseyo.”

            “Hey Soohyun…Were you sleeping?”

            “Not yet. I just got out of the shower.”

            “Oh really?

            “Don’t be dirty Lay,” I teased.

            “I’m not. Anyway you probably wouldn’t want to come over this late since you just showered.”

I looked over at the time and saw it was 12:30am already. I knew that I should just go to bed since I had school tomorrow but I really wanted to see Lay.

            “No. I can come over still…That is if you want me to.”

            “Didn’t I say earlier that I always want to see you?”

            “Alright, I’ll be over soon. Don’t fall asleep before I get there.”

            “You better hurry up then.”

            “Alright, alright. I’ll see you soon.” I hung up the phone, packed an overnight bag, packed my backpack, and then I was ready to go.

I hurriedly rushed to the bus stop since the busses would stop running soon and I didn’t want to miss the last one. Luckily as I got to the stop the bus was just pulling up. I took the bus to the area of Lay’s dorm and before I knew it I was texting him to let him know I was outside of the building.  I was hardly outside for five minutes when he came down to let me in.

            We quietly entered his dorm since all of the members were sleep by this point. Lay led me to his bedroom and I was surprised to find that Luhan wasn’t there. Well not really since it always seemed that Luhan was conveniently not in the room when I came over.

            “I’m starting to think that you’re always purposely kicking Luhan out of your room when you want to spend time with me.” I said once the door was close. Lay came over me and wrapped his arms around my waist, pulling me into a hug.

            “Well I’m not. He’s usually not here when you aren’t here as well. Luhan likes to spend a lot of time with Sehun. Anyway let’s not talk about them. How was your first day of school?” He asked me and I lowered my head with a slight feeling of guilt. I know I didn’t kiss Geunseok first but I still let him kiss me.

            “Soohyun?”

            “Oh…it was fine.” I said composing myself again. “I met some pretty cool people and it seems like I will actually have a couple of friends this year.”

            “That’s good. No one hit on you though right?” He said jokingly but it caused the guilt in my chest to start to grow a painful amount.

            “No, of course not! I told you that I’m plain looking in other people’s eyes so why would they see me as someone to get together with.” I said as I pulled away from his hold on me and went to start searching in my bag for my pj’s.

            “Well who cares if they don’t think you’re gorgeous. All that matters is that I do. Plus it means I can have you all to myself.” He wrapped his arms around me from behind and I felt his warm body heat on my back. It was comforting and made me feel safe as it always did. I pulled away slightly from his embrace so that I could turn around without destroying his hold on me. Then I wrapped my arms around his neck before leaning up a tad bit to kiss him.

            “You’re getting taller. Soon you’re going to be as tall as me,” Lay said before planting another kiss on my lips.

            “Not only that but I’m going to be taller than you.” I teased before pulling away from him to continue looking for my clothes.

            “Never in a million years.”

            “Yea, yea.” I said as I changed into my pj’s once I found them. I had grown accustomed to changing in front of Lay. We still hadn’t gone all the way yet but I figured that the fact that I could change in front of him meant that I made some kind of progress.

            We both got into his bed once I was changed and he immediately wrapped his arms around me like he always did when we slept in the same bed together. Again it made me feel safe. It seemed like anytime I was wrapped in his arms I felt like nothing could harm me; us.

            “I’m glad you’re here. It only being able to meet on the weekends and now that you started school it’s only going to get worse.” He said to me as he placed a small kiss on my lips.

            “I’m glad I’m here too and I know but we’ll still see each other plenty.”

            “Hopefully.” His voice deepened and I could tell that he was growing tired.

            “Go to sleep now. We can talk in the morning.”

            “Hmm…Ok.”

It didn’t take long for him to fall asleep but I couldn’t get to sleep right away. My mind simply kept travelling back to the moment earlier Geunseok. I kept telling myself that I shouldn’t feel so guilty about it but I wasn’t even able to convince myself. The only way for me not to feel guilty would be to tell Lay about it. He probably wouldn’t get mad if I told him that the guy caught me by surprise. I mean how could he? I didn’t kiss Geunseok back and I pushed him away immediately. So everything will be alright. I wrapped my arms around Lay tighter and laid my head on his chest as I slowly calmed my mind to sleep.


Ok sorry for taking a while with this update. I've had most of this typed up but I got really busy so it took a while to finish it. But here it is. I hope it was a decent  chapter and that you guys liked it. Oh and for any of you that are reading "Our Happy Family" that will be updated...eventually. I haven't even started typing the next chapter so it will be a while. Ok before this becomes too long. See you all next time!

~Lolo