New Friends

My Older Chinese Lover

After Geunseok finished his introduction the teacher came up next to him before addressing the class again.

            “Alright now that that’s out of the way let’s move on to some acting. I have some lines that Geunseok is going to pass out to you now that I want you to act out. I give you all five minutes to read over the lines and decide what kind of emotion you are trying to portray. Don’t worry about memorizing them and just focus on your emotions.” He said and Geunseok started to pass out the papers.  Luckily I was sitting in the middle of the row so I wouldn’t have to come in direct contact with him. I don’t know why I was so concerned with avoiding him since he probably didn’t remember me.

            Once the papers got to me, I took one off the top and continued to pass it down the row. I looked over the lines and noticed it was a mourning scene. Apparently we were supposed to be acting as someone that just lost their lover in an accident and going to a friend for comfort but, this friend has been harboring emotions for you for a while now. It seemed simple enough and there was a small hug scene at the end.

            “Alright, time is up. Now who would like to go first?” Jae Wook-nim asked but no one raised their hand. So I decided I would go first.

            “Thank you…”

            “Kim Soohyun.” I gave him my name.

            “Yes, Soohyun-goon. You will be acting this scene out with Geunseok. You can keep the lines with you since I don’t expect you to have them memorized by now.”

I didn’t know that I was going to be partnered with Geunseok and now I wish that I never raised my hand while I could hear groans from behind me. Obviously everyone else was now eager to participate. I started towards the middle of the space in front of the class and stood right before Geunseok. He gave me a knowing smile and I lowered my gaze from him to the paper. I read my first line over in my head and tried to get my emotions right.

            “Ok, whenever you’re ready Soohyun-goon.”

I took a deep breath while thinking about the saddest thing that I could. If I was going to do this, I was going to do it right, tears and all. Once I felt myself about to cry I started to recite my lines.

            “Geunseok-ah…Jae…Jae is dead.” I murmured out as my tears slowly started to slide down my face. Our characters didn’t have names and we were supposed to just fill in our own names. The only name given to us was the name of our dead lover.

            “Soohyun what… what do you mean Jae is dead?” Geunseok said his line and I had to admit he jumped right into character really well. Was he really only a year older than me?     

            “Last night, his plane crashed. He took the earlier flight because I begged him to come home and now he’s gone!” I exclaimed as the tears started to fall down my face easily. I guess I was really getting into character as well.

            “It’s not your fault Soohyun-ah.”

            “Yes it is! If I wasn’t being selfish he would had just taken his normal flight and he would still be alive!”

It was now that Geunseok was supposed to pull me into a hug. I was ready for it but he didn’t do it. Instead he took a couple of steps closer to me and gently wiped my tears away.

            “Don’t cry Soohyun.” He said as he continued to caress my face. His actions weren’t following the script but his words were so I continued as well.

            “How can you tell me not to cry when Jae is gone?!” I screamed as I pulled away from his touch. He immediately pulled me into him so I was laying my head on his chest.

            “It’s going to be fine Soohyun. I’m here…I won’t let you be hurt as long as I’m around.”

With that being the last line the teacher clapped his hands and I pulled away from Geunseok’s embrace. There were some people clapping in the audience but most just stared at me with jealously and envy.

            “That was fantastic Soohyun-goon! I could feel the raw emotion of losing a lover coming from you.”

            “What about me?” Geunseok asked.

            “Of course you were good as well, just as I would expect from one of the top students in the acting department. Anyway, you may have a seat Soohyun-goon.”

I went back to my seat wiping my remaining tears away as another student was called up to recite next. Sun Woong nudged my side as if telling me my performance was good through the simple gesture. I gave him a small smile and turned my attention to watch the other students recite their lines.

            Some were good while some were, well let’s just say not so good. It seemed like some or should I say most of the girls went up and would basically touch him as much as they possibly could, not acting anything like, a person that just lost their lover. After the last person went there were only about five minutes left to class and Jae Wook-nim came to the center of the room to give his last comments.

            “Ok so most of you need a lot of work on conveying your emotions when acting. There were a handful of you that seem to already have it down but I want it to be more than just a couple of students. So take these, go home, and practice, practice, practice.” He said as he placed a stack of lines on his desk. We all filed out of the class taking a script as we went. I figured I would practice with Lay if he wasn’t too busy. Even though we said we would only meet on the weekends I really wanted to see him today and tell him how my first day went. Sun Woong stuck by my side as I walked to my next class.

            “Dude Soohyun-ah, you’re acting was great in there. Have you acted before?”

            “No, I haven’t.”

            “Really? Well you had me fooled. And that little scene with Geunseok, it looked like he was really in love with you.”

I felt my cheeks heat up slightly, probably turning a slight shade of pink as he mentioned that.

            “Well he is a good actor.” Just as I finished my statement I felt a tap on my shoulder.

            “I’m glad to hear that you think I’m a good actor.” I heard as I turned around to come face to face with Geunseok. My eyes went wide and I heard Sun Woong say that he’ll see me later as he walked away thus leaving me alone with Geunseok. Traitor.

            “Yea…Well I have to go to class so…” I started to walk away but he grabbed my hand to stop me.

            “Whoa there. Do you not remember me?”

I pretended to act like I didn’t.

            “Come on. I helped you and your friend bring your bags back to his dorm. Remember? I was the one that worked at the grocery store. I even gave you my number. You never called me though.”

            “Oh yea…” I decided I would put him out of his misery. I wasn’t going to just ignore him; he could be a good friend in the future.  “I’m sorry about that. When I closed my hand it smudged and I couldn’t make out the numbers.” I lied.

            “Well let me give it to you again. I can put it right into your phone this time and you can give me yours.”

            “Ok.”

We handed each other our phones and put our numbers in before exchanging back.

            “Cool. Well I hope to hang out with you sometime soon Soohyun-ah.”

            “That sounds like fun Geunseok-ssi.”

We then went our separate ways to class and I actually had a small smile on my face. I made two friends today. I don’t know why I was freaked out earlier. Geunseok seemed like a nice guy and it was nice to actually be making friends.

            The rest of the day went by smoothly and once school let out I sent Lay a text. I asked him if he was busy and I waited for his response so I could decide on what bus I was taking and where. I was quickly getting used to Seoul public transportation now that I had been living here for a few months. After a couple of minutes he sent me a reply.

From Lay:

            I’m taking a break right now so I can talk for a couple of minutes.

Oh so he was still working. Maybe I could see him tonight.

To Lay:

            Well can I come over to your dorm tonight?

From Lay:

            I don’t know what time I’ll be back there. I’ll text you when I’m on my way home and if you still want to come over you can.

To Lay:

            You won’t be too tired?

From Lay:

            I’m never too tired to see you. :)

His last text made me smile and I sent him one final text before deciding to head for my bus to take me home. As I was walking away from the school gates; however, I heard my name being called. I turned around to see Geunseok coming up behind me.

            “Hey Soohyun-ah, are you heading home?”

            “Yea. How about you?”

            “I was until I saw you. How about we hang out a little? We can go over the lines that were given to you in class too if you want.”

            “Really? That would be fun. Ok, yea. You can come over to my place if you want. I live alone so we won’t be disturb.”

            “Alright then. Lead the way!”

I was really excited to have someone to hang out with. This was the first person that I was going to have in my house as a friend. Plus I was happy that Geunseok offered to help me practice the lines given to us. To have one of the best student actors in this school be my friend and practice lines with, I must be one lucky person.


Look! New update and in less than a month like I promised. Sorry it's short but I decided here would be a nice place to end so here you go. I hope you enjoyed the chapter and see you all next time.