Before The Next Step

Heart Skips A Beat

 

"You seem a lot happier these days." Naeun said one afternoon. Chorong and Naeun were having those usual short breaks from their lectures at the college's cafe. 

 

While sipping on her cold mocha drink, Chorong shot a glance at Naeun, who seemed to have a sly smile on her small face. She put down her drink and raised her eyebrow a bit. "I've always been happy."

 

"Really, Park Chorong? Like how long we've been friends? I know you." She shot back.

 

Chorong only shrugged and returned it with a bright smile. Naeun was right. She was indeed a lot happier than before. At times, she would find herself smiling alone, she would make stupid jokes, she would laugh out too loud and she was more willing and opened to try out new things. All thanks to a special someone. 

 

"How's the dancing practice so far?" Naeun asked another question.

 

"So far, so good. The choreography is all done, we just need to sharpen the moves." Chorong was smiling as she talked about it. She continued. "Bomi taught me a chicken dance last night. It was so hilarious. We should do it sometimes." Then she had a giggle. 

 

"See? You're excited again." Naeun shot a look at Chorong. A naughty one.

 

"What?" Chorong asked with a shrug. She didn't get her. 

 

"Well, speaking of the devil... She's here!" Naeun purposely exclaimed with a brighter tone while pointing out at Bomi, who had just step her foot inside the college's cafe. Bomi was walking side by side with her bestfriend, Eunji. They were chattering away - but Bomi spotted them in one corner - so she gave them a quick wave and smiled cheerfully at them. Shyly, Chorong found herself waving back with a big smile spreaded across her face and Naeun couldn't help but to chuckle at her friend's sudden brightness.

 

It didn't take long before all of Chorong's attention was shifted towards Bomi and Eunji. She had been observing their friendship for quite a while and Chorong knew how close was these two. Watching them from afar, with Eunji freely wrapping her arms around Bomi's neck, and how she would feed her with foods, how Bomi would make faces in front of her and how they would laugh at their own jokes - all of that made Chorong, somehow felt jealous. And insecured. 

 

She was the most jealous at the fact that they shared the same room. This meant that Eunji got to see Bomi everyday, they got to hear each other's voices everynight before they went to sleep and Eunji would literally be the first person that Bomi saw when she woke up. Those thoughts bothered her so much and as much as she tried to hammer it away, she couldn't. 

 

She didn't understand her feelings for Bomi, but she would be worrying over her, every single day. 

 

"You like her, right?" Naeun blurted out, bringing back Chorong from her far away thoughts. 

 

"Huh? What her?" Chorong pretended not to understand. The question threw her off guard. 

 

"You like Yoon Bomi." She said it clearly this time.

 

That remark caused Chorong to choke on her drink. She coughed and then, laughed a little. Awkwardly. 

 

"I have a boyfriend."

 

"Exactly. That's my point. You have a boyfriend - but you like someone else." Naeun said, shooting a serious gaze at her bestfriend. She was being serious this time.

 

Chorong didn't respond to that. She darted her gaze away and continued to play with her drinking straw. She kept quite a while, but she wasn't able to ignore Naeun's continously glaring look, so she gave up. She let out a sigh.

 

"What are you going to do with Nam Woohyun?"

 

That was the point. Chorong didn't know what to do.

 

----

 

Chorong first laid eyes on Woohyun at a park. It wasn't love at the first sight and not at the second sight either. She wasn't as interested to Woohyun as he was to her. Woohyun, on the other hand, did almost everything to win Park Chorong's heart. Moves by moves, words after words, finally, all of his greasy ways of seducting paid off. He won her and they started to date.

 

But that day, she was going to end it. 

 

"Honey!!" Woohyun greeted his girlfriend and gave her a hug. He then squeezed both of Chorong's cheeks. That gesture used to make her heart pounding but it didn't anymore. She remembered how she used to get so excited to meet him on weekend, how he would make her day with just his sweet messages and how just by looking at him would make her feel calm. 

 

Chorong didn't know how or when did those feelings started to go away but it had faded faster than she had expected it to be. And that happened even long before she had met Yoon Bomi. Sure, Bomi might be a tiny reason for her changed in feelings, but she never blamed Bomi nor Woohyun for that.

 

In fact, she blamed herself.

 

She blamed herself for accepting Woohyun when her feelings were not as strong as his.

 

She blamed herself for falling in love with someone that she wasn't supposed to.

 

And she blamed herself for being too weak, too fragile and too stupidly in love.

 

Park Chorong wasn't good with words and she wanted to end it quick. So, being straight-forward was her only option.

 

"Let's break up..." She muttered, trying to keep a straight face. A sense of guilt enveloped her heart.

 

"W-what? Honey?" Woohyun's eyes widened. His heart was thumping crazily.

 

"Let's break up and part our own ways. I... I don't like you anymore."

 

Those words stabbed Woohyun's heart a thousand times. He grabbed his fist as he felt a sudden rage in his heart. The world didn't make any more sense to him. 

 

"ARE. YOU. DUMPING. ME. FOR. THAT. STUPID. GIRL?"

 

Woohyun's remarks caught Chorong off guard. Why would he brought up Bomi in this case? It's not like I broke up with you entirely because of her. This is between us. Why bring up other people?

 

Chorong refused to say anything. She was aware that Woohyun was angry and that things that have been spitted out from his mouth were not coming from his senses. Saying anymore than she should would only spark the heat of the fire - so she kept quite and let Woohyun said whatever his angry heart wanted to say. 

 

"I'm going to make you- and that pay for this."

 

He gave those last words before he walked away.

 

She had, had feelings for him. And seeing him turning into a stranger who was full of rage, broke her heart to pieces. Woohyun was not the only one who was hurting - she was too. Her eyes sank in tears. She needed a hug.

 

----

 

I'm outside of your dorm. Can we meet for a while?

 

Bomi read her message. It was from Park Chorong. For some reasons, she could sense something wrong. Chorong had texted her a few hours late than usual and it got Bomi to feel a little worry about her. She didn't waste any time as she quickly got up from her bed, put on her sandal and ran down the stairs. 

 

She saw Chorong standing alone on the pavement. She looked weak and her eyes were swollen. Bomi's first instinct was to run to her and so, she did. 

 

"Chorong-unnie?"

 

Bomi looked the senior in her eyes and she saw pain. Chorong was too vulnerable. Unknowingly, Bomi pulled Chorong into a tight hug as Chorong finally broke down in tears. 

 

 

 

A/N: When I wrote this, I seriously can't imagine an angry Woohyun huhu... Woohyun is too precious and I would like to apologize in advance for I might make him look bad in this story :(