Knowing Him More

Love Trauma

 

They went out of the ferris wheel with silence, either because of awkwardness or because they don’t want to woke Yo Rim up, her head resting on Yong Hwa’s shoulder while she is being carried by him. Shin Hye just walks from behind. While they were walking, the rain suddenly poured causing Yo Rim to open her eyes. Yong Hwa put her down and immediately removed his polo to cover Shin Hye and Yo Rim because they hadn’t brought an umbrella. It took them a couple of minutes to walk where Woo Young parked the car. Woo Young ran towards them with an umbrella. He also got a towel for them to dry themselves. Shin Hye and Yo Rim only dried their arms and legs while Yong Hwa is soaking wet so it took them some time before they entered the car.

While on the ride home, Yong Hwa coughed hard.

“Kwaenchanha?” Shin Hye asked with a worried look.

“Chal chinae.” He smiled at her to reassure her of his condition.

When they arrived home, Woo Young took charge in carrying Yo Rim to her room so that she can continue sleeping. Shin Hye helped Halmeoni unload their things while Yong Hwa went straight to his room to change clothes.

 “Had fun?” Halmeoni inquired.

“Ne, halmeoni. Yo Rim was so tired with all the rides. She enjoyed a lot.” Shin Hye said happily.

“Ah, halmeoni! Do you have some medicines for cough and colds?” She suddenly remembered Yong Hwa not looking well earlier.

“Waeyo? Are you sick?”

“A…aniyo, halmeoni. It’s for Yong Hwa. He was soaked by the rain earlier.”

“Ah… arasseo. I’ll just get it.”

“Kamsahamnida, halmeoni.”

***

Knock. Knock.

There was no answer.

Knock. knock.

Again, there was no response so Shin Hye came in. She saw Yong Hwa lying on bed, the comforter and pillows are all over him. He was trembling. She quickly rushed to his side and touched his forehead. He’s hot.

“Shin Hye-ya…” Yong Hwa said weakly.

 She got the thermometer she saw on the drawer to check his temperature.

“I knew it…you’re sick. You have a fever.”

She arranged the pillows so he can sit upright. She got the glass of water on the table she brought for him and made him drink the paracetamol Halmeoni had given her just in case she might not feel well. At first she thought it was not needed but now, it seems that Yong Hwa is definitely in need of it.

“You don’t have to do this. I will be fine.” Yong Hwa said.

“Just drink it.” Shin Hye firmly said and Yong Hwa did what he was told.

“You’re not really as tough as you look.” Shin Hye added while he emptied the glass.

“I am still human. I have my weaknesses. Just like you while we were in the roller coaster…in the horror house…” Yong Hwa defended himself.

“Ya! Is that how you thank me for taking care of you?” Shin Hye cut him off not wanting to hear his preaching.

“Arasseo. Komawo.” Yong Hwa said and held her hand. She blushed at his action. She sat down beside him and made him lie down.

“Now take a rest.” She tucked him to bed then started his hair with her free hand.

“Only if you will sleep beside me.” A mischievous smile crept on Yong Hwa’s face. Because of that, he received Shin Hye’s signature arm slap.

“Is that how you treat a patient?” Yong Hwa said rubbing his arms.

“You mean a naughty patient?” Shin Hye said with a deathly glare.

“But I’m still feeling cold. Can you hug me, puh-lease?” Yong Hwa said with puppy eyes. Shin Hye laughed at the sight of his ‘cutesy’ act.

“I’m your Huggie for now, remember?” He said trying to convince her, still trying to act cutely.

“Fine.” She scoffed at him and made her way to the other side of the bed.

“Waaa! Feels good.” He said as she pulled her arms closer.

“Sshh… Huggie doesn’t talk!” She said faking a tone of annoyance then silently chuckled at his gestures.

She then started patting his arms while humming a lullaby which caused Yong Hwa to be in his dreamland in no time. Soon after, she was in her own too.

***

After a few hours, she woke up with an opposite position, Yong Hwa is now the one back-hugging her. She turned to face him so she can touch his forehead. His temperature has finally gone down. She stood and headed to the kitchen to drink some water.

Walking back to the room, she saw Halmeoni at the balcony drinking some tea while giggling and chuckling alone so she went to her to check on her.

“Halmeoni?”

“Oh, Shin Hye-ya! Sit with me! I was just looking at Yong Hwa’s childhood pictures.”

She did what she was told and Halmeoni handed her a photo album.

“Look at that! Isn’t he an adorable boy?” Halmeoni’s eyes were sparkling as she told each story behind the pictures. There was his picture when he was first able to walk, his first haircut, his first birthday and many more of his firsts. As she looks at the pictures, she noticed that Yong Hwa’s mother was not visible in the pictures anymore when he turned 10, even his father too was missing in the photos.

“Halmeoni, can I uh…ask you something?” She couldn’t help herself but ask.

“Sure. About what?”

“About…Yong Hwa and his parents… where are they?” She asked Halmeoni with hesitation.

Halmeoni let out a deep sigh before she answered.

“My son, Yi Jeon, Yong Hwa’s father, is working in the United States as an executive since he was a child. His mom, well… Sa Ra has met an unfortunate fate.”

Shin Hye leaned closer so that she can clearly hear Halmeoni’s story. Her eyes full of curiosity.

“One day, Yong Hwa went out to play at his friend’s house without his mother’s consent. He didn’t realize it was already late night when he walked home.  He was frightened when he suddenly heard gunshots not from afar only to see the dead body of Sa Ra, and a formal-looking man, quite the same age as his father, drunk and holding a gun. He frantically got inside his car with his bodyguards and drove fast. When they were gone, he rushed to his mother with blood all over her chest. All he could do was cry and shout for help, which was way too late. That incident gave him trauma. He won’t speak or talk to anyone. We brought him to the psychiatrist and it took him two years before he can finally talk. As for the killer, we filed a case against him but we lost. He could not forget that day. From then on, he swore he would be a lawyer and get the man, who we found out was a politician, to be imprisoned to avenge for his mother’s death. And he did. He worked and studied hard. It was actually his first case. It was a tough fight for him, but his intelligence and determination made him win the case. And that is how he had established himself as one of the best and youngest lawyers here in our country.”

Silent tears were falling to her cheeks as she listened to Yong Hwa’s life. She realized that it was probably the reason why he didn’t play the target shooting game earlier. She now understood him more, why he acts tough and strong. She quickly wiped her tears when Halmeoni reached for her hand.

“That’s why I am happy you are beside him. I know he still hadn’t completely moved on about that frightful incident and I’m sure you will be the one helping him coping with it.”

She somehow felt guilty for having a fake relationship with Yong Hwa. He has his own troubles too and she felt that she was an added burden to him. She also remembered how they treated her as if she was already part of the family. She felt that their fake relationship was a form of betrayal to all the good things they had done to her. She could not take lying to them anymore.

“Halmeoni… I have to…tell you something…” Shin Hye said nervously.

“What is it, Shin Hye-ya?” Halmeoni smiled as she squeezed her hand.

“The truth is… Yong Hwa and I…” She said, trying to be very careful with her words but Halmeoni cut her off.

“I know. You and Yong Hwa are not together.” Halmeoni said calmly. Shin Hye’s jaw dropped in shock.

“Si…since when did you…know, Halmeoni?”

“I knew it all along dear. I’m sorry I made you do things against your will.”

Shin Hye’s eyes widen at Halmeoni’s revelations. She couldn’t believe the things she just heard.

“But…but why, Halmeoni?”

“Like what I said, I know that you are the one who will be Yong Hwa’s shoulder to lean on, just as how he is to you right now. You’re here because you are having some personal problems, right?”

“How did you know, Halmeoni? I’m sorry if I used your grandson so as to run away from my problems…” She said embarrassingly at the old lady.

“Come on Shin Hye! I’m halmeoni, remember? I just knew things. Ah what a life! I miss being young! My experiences in life taught me well that’s why I also knew what you youngsters are going through. I’ve had my fair share of being there in those kinds of situation too… Whatever you are going through Shin Hye-ya, we are here for you. We are also your family, remember? And maybe, this is your chance to start anew, a life with Yong Hwa.”

Shin Hye can see sincerity in Halmeoni’s eyes and with that, she felt like she was her real grandmother.

“Kamsahamnida, Halmeoni.” Shin Hye told her as she gave her a hug. Halmeoni hugged her back warmly.

They finished drinking our teas before heading to their rooms. She hugged Halmeoni once again and bid her goodnight before walking her way to Yong Hwa’s room.

For awhile, she just sat on the bed while gently his hair and examining his face, peacefully sleeping. She then gave him a kiss on his forehead before lying down beside him and hugged him just like how she hugged Huggie. But to her, this was better…he was better… than a body pillow that could not comfort her when she was sad and alone. Afterall, Huggie was just one heck of a fluffy body pillow that could not even talk.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Finally I updated! It’s been what, 2 weeks? Yeah. IT’S BEEN TWO LONG WEEKS. I missed you chingus as much as how I missed writing. Recently, I had a writer’s block plus I wasn’t feeling well last weekend so I didn’t have the ability to type this. No exams for this week. YAY! I should be prepared for the coming weeks though. I think I will be having 3 long exams the week after the next. T.T

I hope you’re still hanging on to this fic. I know it’s quite keeping on a snail’s pace. I’m sorry if I’m already boring you. I’m really sorry for some typographical and grammatical errors. English is not my first language. I’ll look back into it as soon as I find time. Jong Hyun’s character will have a comeback ‘with a bang!’ on this fic very very soon.

‘Til my next update chingus! Thank you to all those who have read, commented and subscribed. Comments are highly appreciated! ^_^