Serendipity

Love Trauma

 


Yong Hwa’s POV

It’s already 9am, yet I hadn’t had given myself some time to sleep. I just finished reviewing my case study for the final hearing later afternoon. Yes, I am a lawyer, first class. I’ve only been here in this career not for so long but I already have established myself with a great reputation. I haven’t lost a case, not a single one.

And now, here I am, sitting in one of Starbuck’s comfortable couches, waiting for my order. The café’s full of customers, as usual. I don’t really get why there are more people buying here than in other coffee shops that offer way cheaper cups. Tss. Status symbols. Well, not to wash my clean hands, I was only buying here because it is the first coffee shop I eyed onto before I go to work. If only my light-headedness isn’t bothering me, I’d rather be in my flat, particularly in my kitchen, beside my coffee maker and oven toaster while browsing some broadsheets, or reading some serious novels. Coffee is like my fuel—I need it in order for me to function well everyday.

“Tall Americano for…”

“That’s mine!”

I thought I was the only one who said that. I rushed to the counter to get MY cup, only to find out someone was already holding it. She looked at me with a curious look while both her hands grip the cup close to her chest. She looks so defensive, thinking that I might snatch the coffee away from her. I composed myself, arranged my necktie a little and stood straight in front of her.

“I bet that’s mine.”

I told her calmly so as not to make a scene. Her eyes went narrow and she smirked.

“Deal.”

I looked at her with confusion. What is this lady up to?

“You made a bet with me right?”

She seemed to have heard my question.

“The one who will lose will pay for this cup.”

So she took my words seriously, huh? She’s quite interesting. I looked at the cup she was holding, which I believe is mine, to look for some hints. I saw a big letter H written on it. I looked at her with confidence then gave her a nod. That is definitely mine. That’s definitely JYH written on it.

Slowly, she removed her left hand from the cup. You should have seen the look on her face. Her eyes were closed as she turned around the cup to check the name. Impatient as I was, I grabbed the cup away from her to see for myself. I read it aloud.

“P. S. H.”

Oh no. This is not a good start for today. It’s so early to have been lost in just a cup of coffee. Aish! I wasn’t sure if I pouted in front of her or I was just imagining myself doing that, but when I looked at her, she stuck her tongue out and smirked, then she extended her arm and opened her palm. Defeated, I sighed heavily as I took some bills from my wallet.

 “Tall Americano for… JYH.” The counter called again, and this time, it was mine, really mine so I took it in no time. When I looked back at her, she already walked away. My eyes followed her, with my brows raised.

“Told you.”

She said as I put my money on her hands. She just thoughtlessly threw it on her purse. Before I could say anything, she already turned her back at me and went to sit on a two-seater table near the glass window. She innocently sips her cup while happily tracing some letters and shapes at the window unable to be aware of my presence. I cleared my throat to divert her attention to me. She looked at me intriguingly.

“What’s the matter, ahjussi?”

My eyes widened when I heard the last word. Did she just call me an ahjussi? Aish! This girl is really getting on my nerves. I sat on the chair across her and glared at her.

“First of all, I am not an ahjussi…”

“Sorry if I have mistaken you for that. It’s just that your clothes are too formal and your attitude is too prim.”

I was taken aback by her words. She is too frank.

“You know what? You should loosen up a little bit. Breaking rules is part of having fun in life.”

She added as she stretched her neck sideways then patted my arm. I smirked at her. Breaking rules? Huh! I am the one who knows it all.

“People like you breaking rules are also the reason why I dress like this and I act like this.”

She was quite surprised by my back fire. Guess she didn’t expect that.

“What do you mean? And… are you insinuating I just broke a rule?”

“That is what I’m about to say if only you didn’t interrupt. As I was saying, I am not an ahjussi. I’m still on my 20s. Secondly, like what I told you earlier, people like you breaking rules are reasons why I dress and act like this. It’s because I am a lawyer. And lastly, yes, you broke a rule. I could have accused you of theft if only there’s a police right here.”

I said as calm as possible so as not to make tension. Just like what she did earlier, I extended my arm and opened my palm. She was just looking at me with curiosity, clueless of what I am doing.

“You didn’t count the money I gave you, did you? Tsk tsk tsk.” I said as I arrogantly sip my cup.

She was even more surprised. She looked at her purse to check the money I handed her. I was right. She didn’t count it. She bit her lip, quite embarrassed.

“Choesonghamnida…”

“Jung Yong Hwa-imnida.”

“Choesonghamnida Jung Yong Hwa-ssi. I didn’t have coins here in my wallet.”

“That’s not my problem anymore.” I smirked at her, again, as I crossed my arms. She gave me dagger looks for a while and then she stood up.

“Where are you going? Running away from your debt? Should I call the police…” I said mocking at her.

“Aniya! I’ll go to the cashier to ask them if they can exchange coins for my bills.” She scoffed childishly at me. I got a hold of her left hand, it was smooth.

“Sit down. I’m just kidding. I just want to have some chit-chat with you.”

She looked at my hand on hers, so I immediately released my grip. She finally sat down.

“Because you weren’t able to give me my change, can you just sit with me here for a while as compensation?” I said while I wore my friendliest smile.

“You already know much about me. Can you at least tell me your name?”

“Shin Hye-imnida. Just Shin Hye.” She said calmly before she sipped her coffee.

So, that’s probably what S.H. meant on her cup. I continued asking her questions.

“The moment I saw you, you looked so innocent and pure.”

I didn’t know why those words came out from my mouth. But what I said was true.

“Well, thanks for the compliment.” She smiled at me and I just knew it was genuine.

“Maybe you haven’t had a boyfriend before, have you?”

She laughed at me. Was my question really funny? I don’t think so. Her hearty laugh was interrupted when her phone rang.

“Jong Hyun-ah!... You’re almost here?... Ok. I’ll go out now…. Uh uhmm… Bye… I love you too.”

She dropped the call. She looked at me with interest and smirked.

“Where were we? Oh yeah I remember now. Obviously, yes,I already have a boyfriend.”

To make it clearer for me, I asked her a more obvious question.

“And is that person the one you just talked to?”

“He’s my first boyrfriend and first love... Waeyo? Are you going to ask me out? Mianhaeyo. I’m already getting married tomorrow with the love of my life.”

She looked at me apologetically. I was taken by surprise with her statement. She is not just frank, she’s also quite tactless. She hit my arms mildly to bring me back to reality.

“Relax. I was just kidding. Kekeke.”

Phew! She almost got me there! Good thing I wasn’t able to say anything before she told me she was just fooling around.

She grabbed her purse on the table as she took the last sip of her coffee before she stood up.

“Pangapseumnida, Attorney Jung.”

I nodded at her with a smile to show formality. She extended her right hand and I reached it. It was as smooth as the left one.

“Til we meet again Shin Hye.”

I didn’t know why but my eyes are still following where she was heading. She cheerfully swung the door then she gave a gentle kiss to this medium-built fair-skinned guy leaning on a silver Volvo. Maybe that’s Jong Hyun. I couldn’t see his face though. He was wearing sunglasses. He didn’t reciprocate her kiss with as much passion as hers… I think. After the kiss, they went inside the car and all of a sudden, they were gone.

Tsk. Almond eyes, rosy cheeks, curved lips… I didn’t know how I memorized her facial features in just a short while but I can’t help but to notice her flawless face, not to mention that she also has the figure.

She looked beautiful, if only she’s not a brat… If only she wasn’t already taken.

_____________________________________________________________________________

I know, I know I told you that I will update Keep Calm I Love You first before this. Sorry. It’s just that my thoughts were more focused on this one. But I’ll try posting my oneshot tomorrow. Sorry for waiting. If only class sched wasn’t as jampacked as hell. How’s the first chaper chingus? I hope you liked it! :) Comment if you wanna say something. I don’t bite! ^_^

 

Director-Smiley: Kekeke. I've already thinking about this plot while I was writing Searching for The One. :)

AnneTheresee: Yep. I'll definitely continue this, though not as regular as before because of my class sched. T.T

BOICELF: I'll keep your word that you'll read this chingu. ;) Kekeke.

keysaetern: Yeah, quite. The plot's still in a blur though. Happy reading! :)

latish78: yes I'm talking to you and the other readers as well. :) What a good idea. Suggestion noted!

yuri252: thank you for the encouragement chingu… and for always being present in my fics! :)

kevinlhen: I'm happy you liked it. Read til the end, ok? Kekeke. :)

Kwon_Aj: Thanks for subbing to my story again chingu. Comment more, arasseo? :)

miss-hitomi: Jong Hyun is already yours! Kekeke. No need to add it on the story. Everyone knows it. :)

JulianKevin: Here go my update for you chingu! Enjoy! :)

HG_YONGHWA: CodeNameYS!!! It's because I also imagine Shin Hye with Jong Hyun. I have already some yongshin fics with Jong Hyun in it. Hope they can also work together someday. But still, YongShin FTW! <3

BlaCK-LoVE: thank you for supporting me all the way chingu! Really appreciate it.

spellcast: I updated for you chingu. Hope you liked it! :)

yellow-umbrella: Thank you for complimenting my story. I'm a fan of your fics actually. :)

primrose_: Yes chingu! Jong Hyun is here! Kyaaaa~! <3 *screaming like a banshee*

cita129: Interesting? :) I hope so. Have you read my other stories too? :) Just asking. :)

zeldaxdooley: Kyaa~! Got you hooked! Yeah. I really believe in that quote. It was my inspiration in writing this story. :)

Sakura07: Wow! You’re reading this too chingu? Aww. :”> Thanks.