Chapter 1

Gotta Get To Your Heart (My Angel)

 

Today is a very off day for me.

Indeed.

I was on my way to a café when a car drove by me and splashed mud on my pants--I let that pass.

When I arrived at the café, I opened the door the wrong way and someone was about to go out; let's just say I wasn't fortunate enough to avoid the door to hit my face.

Groaning, I entered the establishment and looked for somewhere safe to sit.

The waitress smiled at me as she handed me the menu, but frowned when she saw the bruise on my forehead and mud on my pants. Noticing her discomfort for my appearance, I cleared my throat and quickly told her my order.

While waiting for my order, I decided to observe the people inside the café. There were a lot of couples chatting and smiling and being all cheesy. On one corner was a group of co-ed teenagers, they were the loudest inside and for me, they did not fit being in here if they're that noisy. There are also those who are alone and in front of their laptops, maybe this is better than their workplace? Anyway, one really captured my eye. He was alone, looking out the window and sipping his coffee calmly. I watched for a good full minute, he wasn't doing anything besides that. He doesn't look like he was waiting for someone or someone who's just in a coffee break--he was just.... there.

"Your coffee, sir"

The waitress who took my order took my attention from the pretty boy. She gave me a suspicious look. I raised an eyebrow, "I'll be back with your waffles"

I just nodded as she turned her back to me; I continued watching the boy.

He was a peaceful sight, so calming. If I was crazy enough, I would've imagined wings behind his back...he looked like an angel.

His phone vibrated on his table, making him put his coffee cup on the table and read the message. He was smiling while reading, his eyes disappearing. He ran a hand through his brown hair, placed his phone on the table and took back his coffee cup.

I watched him again for a couple minutes until the waitress disturbed me again with the arrival of my waffles. I need to stop looking at him, I look like a stalker. The waitress was just walking away when I called her.

"Excuse me!" she turned around and gave me a forced smile, apparently I gave her the creeps with my stalkerish moves.

"yes, sir?"

"Can you wrap this up for me and place my coffee on a to-go? Actually, please give me a taller cup with more coffee."

The waitress was hesitant and was looking at me like I was a weird-crazy person, but she eventually nodded and took my purchase. I followed her to the counter to make my payment.

When the order was finished, I immediately walked out of the café and glanced at the pretty boy by the window. He saw me and smiled at me. Feeling my cheeks burn, I looked away and walked fast.

*****

"So, how was your day?"

Was my mom's greeting as soon as she heard the front door open.

"It was good" I said and shrugged my bag from my back into the sofa. "I saw someone pretty"

I can’t tell my mom that what I found pretty was a guy, I’m not yet ready to tell her and my dad about my uality.

"I did too" she looked at me, "when I looked in the mirror"

She smiled at my annoyance, I just shrugged.

"Anyway, how was your day, mom? Anything exciting happened at work?"

She shook her head, "mocking me, aren't you? Well, there was a bit...when your father came into the office"

"Dad? What did he do?"

She smiled and blushed. I didn't know that my mom knew how to blush.

"Well, he came during lunch break bringing a huge bouquet; it's in the living room. And lunch for everyone in my department"

"And....why?"

"Well...he said he wanted everyone to know that this was the date that we first met. Cheesy, even I don't remember that".

"You've been married for 18 years...why'd he do it now?"

"It's our 25th year...we've known each other for 25 years."

"Ahhh" I didn't know how else to react. My mom didn't mind. I was a guy, after all. She knows I don't have much interest in their cheesyness, I'm quite harsh.

"Anyway...about that someone pretty that you saw" she started

"What about it?" I asked nonchalantly as I walked to the fridge to get a canned soft drink

"I was just about to ask you the same question. You opened up about her"

"Ahhh...right." I drank my coke, "nothing, really. I was just amazed by his angelic beauty."

Shoot! I hope she didn’t notice that~

"Just that?"

"Yep. Sorry, mom. I don't even know why I mentioned hi—her!"

Mom chuckled. "That's okay. Anyway, a friend and her son are coming here tonight for dinner"

I gave my mom a questioning look, "Who's this friend and why are they coming over?"

"Well, my friend is my best friend YuRi if you remember her. You know the one that moved to china 5 years ago."

"Oh! I remember. She used to give me chocolates every time she visits you"

"Yup. She's the one. They arrived 2 days ago. I would've invited her out if not her requesting me to cook for her"

"Who could ever resist your cooking?" I grinned at her, she smiled at me. "Anyway, I didn't know she had a son...let alone have a husband"

"Well, the boy isn't really her blood son. He’s the son of her husband from his wife who passed away—his mom's Chinese"

"Wow. Language barrier"

"I don't really think so...if YuRi decided to bring him here, I'm pretty sure he knows a little Korean"

"Please be nice" she added, "your dad won't be home till midnight, so help me entertain our guests"

“Will it help if I just behaved?"

"That's what I would like you to do"

"Okay" I nodded and fled to the bathroom to take a bath, throwing my can in the trash on the way.

 

*****

Voices from the living room filled my ears as I stepped out of the bathroom; I walked mindlessly to my room.

"Oh!"

I turned to my right to see the pretty boy that I've seen from the café.

"Hi!" he greeted, "uh, where's the comfort room?" he asked, awkward for my lack of clothes. Shoot! I lamely covered myself.

"Straight" I said, out of panic, "last door on the left"

He smiled and said "thank you" before proceeding to the said room.

I almost knocked my face on the wall on my way to my room. What's with this day, really?

 

While searching for something to wear, a more important question filled my mind. "Why's he here?" then something dawned into me...I can't believe it! I really am not normal, I should've acted surprised, like what a normal person would do if they saw someone they never really actually expect to see.

 

I heard a knock on my door, "Kai?" it was my mom, "dinner's almost ready"

"5 minutes, mom" I replied and quickly wore what I managed to pull from the cluster of clothes in my wardrobe.

 

The moment I went out of the room, laughter flooded my ears. But one caught my attention; it was melodic...close to angelic. The boy from the café.

“You’re such a pretty boy. I can’t believe you’re a boy!” my mom exclaimed, “But since you’re~”

“Ehem~”

"Oh, here he is" my mom began, "Kai, you remember your aunt, YuRi?"

I nodded, "It's nice to see you again", I said then bowed, "How have you been?" I asked as I took a seat beside my mom.

"I've been well", she replied with a smile, "It's nice to see you all grown up and handsome now"

I didn't know if I should take that as a compliment or an insult...either way, I smiled and nodded...I even chuckled a little.

"Oh, and this is my son, LuHan"

I looked at him and he smiled, I didn't know what to say and just smiled. "Nice to meet you" I blurted, not intending to. I hope they don’t notice my flushed cheeks.

He chuckled, "same here."

Then without thinking, "I thought you're Chinese?" came out of my mind and into my mouth.

He smiled, "I am. What makes you think otherwise?”

I shook my head, “No, I wasn’t. It’s just that, your Korean~”

He chuckled. “My, uh, Umma here is a Korean.” He said, with a tone of obviously. I got embarrassed.

I heard a cough; it made me face the owner. I glared at my mom's teasing face.

Then as if on cue, the oven dinged...if that's even a word.

"Oh!" my mom exclaimed, "dinner's ready"

"I'll help you" Aunt YuRi said as she stood up to go to with my mom.

As soon as they were out of sight, I felt my breath slow then eventually stopped. I felt dead for a while.

"Are you okay?" he asked me, he must have noticed my discomfort. So embarrassing.

I nodded, losing the ability to speak.

"You sure?" his face was full of concern, "you look like you can't breathe"

I can't answer his question, he was the reason. It's not like it's a bad thing...he just makes me nervous.

He chuckled. I gave him a questioning look. "Do I look funny?" more concerned on my look than feeling offended

He waved his hand in defence, "no. I just had a feeling strangers make you nervous"

He's very observant.

"Yes." I confessed, "a bit" I added a lie.

He smiled, "will it relax you if we talk?"

No. "Yes, sure."

"Okay, then I'll just interrogate you"

That won't relax me, "okay"

"Okay. Hmmm...So, Kai, right?" I nodded, "so, how old are you, Kai?"

"18" I replied, "And you?"

"22.You’re four years younger.“ he pointed out, "how's your bruise?"

His question caught me off guard, what bruise? "What bruise?" I asked him.

"The bruise that you got from the café. I saw you hit the door. It was pretty loud, actually"

I can feel my face blushing, this really is an off day.

"Does it still hurt?" he added

I just looked at him, unsure of what to say. Maybe that was why he smiled at me; he must have found me funny.

After realizing that I haven't answered him question and he was patiently waiting, I cleared my throat. "No, not anymore. The truth is, I've forgotten about the bruise." I replied, honest. "So...you really saw that?"

He nodded. "And the car that passed by you that caused you pants' misfortune of becoming dirty"

He chuckled, it was cute. I just smiled.

"This is so embarrassing" I said, feeling my blush darkened

"Ahhh, not really. Things like that happen to everyone"

"Has it ever happened to you?"

He paused, and then slowly nodded. "I'm a bit of a clumsy person. There are days that I would just fall face-first on the ground without tripping on anything"

"really?" I laughed, he did too. But his were of an angel. He nodded. "You don't look like the clumsy type."

"Well, Kai, looks can be deceiving"

Kai. The way he says my name is different, it felt like a whisper or something good. Like my name is some good word that good people always say.

Feeling a little bit light headed by his presence, I began to find a distraction. I remembered our mothers.

"Aren't you hungry, LuHan?" I asked, loud enough for them to hear. I have a feeling that they were listening to our conversation, hiding.

He smiled, getting why I was raising my voice. "Yes, Kai, I am hungry. Are you?"

"Very much. I wonder what's taking them so long"

"Maybe we should just go out for dinner, don't you think?"

He was smiling, I was frozen. Think? What's that? How do you think when your brain's been turned to mush?

"Uhh...Kai?" his hand was waving in front of my face and I can clearly hear him, but it seems like my soul has already left me...leaving me to be a pile of empty flesh.

"I think I should call your mom" I heard him say, but I still ignored him. Why was he saying things like going out for dinner? I'm not ready.

"Relax" it was my mom, "he's really like that around pretty people"

"he...he is?" LuHan asked, sounding relieved at the same time, more worried. I am so embarrassing.

"Mom" I managed to let out of my mouth, I gave her a sad look. "LuHan, sorry. I just thought of something...sorry if I freaked you out or something" wow, I can't believe I managed to say that; all in one go!

Despite, well, me being me—he still gave me a sweet, small smile. He's such an angel. Then he nodded, "I'm sorry also. You know, because I'm pretty"

He laughed and I did too. Not because he was funny, I bet what he said was funny...I just didn't understand it. My brain was having a hard time processing everything.

I sobered then looked at him, he was catching his breath. I looked around to see our mothers doing the same, it really was funny. I'm so sloooow.

"Anyway, dinner?" my mom offered, I felt myself breathe a sigh of relief...I don't know why.

 

"You MUST stay here!" my Mom insisted as soon as the first drops of heavy rain fell from the sky.

What, is this all scripted? As if it is. LuHan and his mother were just about to bid goodbye when suddenly the rain decided to fall heavily.

LuHan's mother looked a little hesitant but nodded anyway. My Mom's beginning to creep me out.

"Kai, dear. Please fix your room, they will stay there."

"No, it's okay" aunt YuRi said, "We'll just stay here in the living room"

My mom chuckled, "Non-sense, I-"

"Yea" I cut off, "It's better if you stay in my room. The living room won't be comfortable" LuHan smiled his 'thank you' and I immediately went to my room to get it ready for them.

*      *      *      *     *     *      *      *      *     *    *      *      *      *     *    *      *      *      *     *     *      *      *      *     *

Wow, I've posted it!

This is my first. Please tell me what you think. It would really help if you do. Hehe.

Hope y'all enjoy :D