Chapter 9

Welcome to the Family

 

“You don’t know how to swim, Hana?” Andy asked in concern as we sat on the warm sand.  “Or is there another reason as to why you refuse to go into the water?”

“I can’t swim,” I confirmed.  “You should have fun in the water.  Sitting on the sand must be boring for you, right?”

“Nah.” He picked up a handful of sand and let it fall through his fingers.  “Sitting on the sand can be fun too.”

I sighed.  “Sorry.”

“No,” he protested, breaking out into a smile, “Sitting on the sand is fun when I’m with you.”

“Wake up, sleeping beauty,” someone whispered into my ear.

Immediately sitting up in bed, eyes wide, I came face-to-face with a bored-looking Kim Myungsoo.  Pushing him out of my way, I stumbled off of the couch.  It was still dark, but I didn’t pay much attention to that.  “What the hell, Myungsoo?”

“I am older than you, Kim Hana.  You should learn to respect me.” He grinned.  “Or…you could call me ‘oppa’, and I’d forgive you in an instant.”

“No way, Myungsoo.”

We both observed Sunggyu sleeping.  I cheerfully observed that Sunggyu loved muttering things in his sleep, and Myungsoo noticed Sunggyu's weird sleeping position.

“It’s really ironic how Sunggyu is the leader, but we have to wake him up all the time,” he said, changing the subject.

“He never wakes up early.” I wandered off to the bathroom, and Myungsoo followed.  Taking out my toothbrush from my backpack, I proceeded to vigorously brush my teeth.

“You want to know why the fans refer to me as L?” He asked.

I nodded.  “Doesn’t it have something to do with Death Note?”

“Somewhat.  There are a variety of meanings,” he said with a distant look in his eyes.  “And your hair is a mess.”

“Because I just woke up,” I grumbled, spitting the toothpaste into the sink and rinsing my mouth with water.  After running a brush through my hair, I said, “There.  Are you happy?”

“Very.”

“Do you follow everyone into the bathroom?” I asked.

“Yup.”

“What’s wrong with you?”

“So many things, Hana.” He grinned.  “And now that we’re clear about that, let’s wake up Sunggyu hyung, shall we?”

“Are the others up?”

“Nah.”

“What time is it?”

“Um, I don’t know,” Myungsoo checked the time on his cell phone, “Like, three in the morning?”

I facepalmed.  “Why.”

“Why what?”

“Why did you wake me up so early?” I wailed.

He shrugged.  “I was excited.”

“Excited for what?”

“We’re going to see the sunrise today.”

“I’m glad you’re excited, but—”

“Have you ever seen the sunrise?” he interrupted.  “I have, from the window in the dorms.  Even then, the sunlight is blocked by all the buildings in Seoul.  So, I want to see it in all of its glory.”

“That’s nice.” I smiled.  “You guys must not get that many days off, huh?”

“Practically none.  During promotions, when we’re not at schedules, we’re practicing our choreography.  All of us have completely different schedules—I, being one of the busier members—so we can only squeeze in one to two hours of practice.  Also, we only get a couple hours of sleep each night if we’re lucky.”

“So this sudden vacation…”

“—Means a lot to me, yes.”

I stood up.  “You know, I’ve always wanted to watch the sunrise with my boyfriend, but neither of us ever woke up early enough.”

“Well,” Myungsoo replied, “At least you can see the sunrise with all of us.  We may not be the same as your boyfriend, but…we’re all still attractive.  And that gives you bragging rights.”

--

“Wow,” Sungyeol sighed as we arrived at the beach.  “Even at four in the morning, the beach is still pretty.”

“Wow,” I repeated.  “Even at four in the morning, Sunggyu’s hair is still a mess, and my face is still swollen.”

“Are you going swimming?” Sunggyu asked, ignoring my comment once again.

“It’s cold.”

“So?”

“Even though it’s summer, Sunggyu, I am freezing here.”

“It’s not even that cold.” He rolled his eyes. 

Dongwoo was the first one to actually enter the water.  He didn’t bother taking off his shirt, and I felt a sudden pity toward all of the stylists that took care of Infinite.  With Dongwoo already in the water, most of the other members took off after him.

“Hana, are you coming?” Hoya called out.

“I-I’m fine here!” I called back.  “I actually like the sand better than the water, anyway.”

Hoya took one wistful glance at the water but ended up walking toward me.  I stared at him in surprise; Hoya wasn’t one to turn down a day in the water, according to Sunggyu.

“I like the sand too.” He sat down, sticking his hands in the white sand.  “Except when it gets in your eyes, because that hurts.”

“I can tell that you’re lying,” I scoffed.

He shrugged.  “It was worth a shot.  So…mind telling me why you won’t go into the water?”

“Can’t swim.”

“What?” He stared.

“Never learned.”

“Ever?”

“Never.”

“Do you want to learn?”

I shook my head.  “I’d rather not.”

“Are you sure?” His gaze bore into me, making me feel guilty.  But…Hoya didn’t have to come over here.  He wanted to come over here.

“Fine.” Obviously, my brain and my mouth weren’t in sync.

He pulled me off the ground, letting go of my hand as soon as I was standing up.  “Let’s go.”  He made his way to the water, and I followed from a few feet behind.

I stopped at the edge of the water, cautiously putting my foot in.  The coldness of the water brought me back to reality—my fear of the ocean, swimming pools, and almost anything and everything involving water.

“Why’d you stop?” Hoya asked, jogging back toward me.

“I…can’t go in,” I muttered.

“Why?”

“So many questions,” I said, amused.  “Well, when I was younger, the woman who ran the orphanage decided to take us older kids out on a boat trip.  At that time, I didn’t like the water, but I didn’t hate it.”

“What happened?”

“Two of the boys got into a fight, and, being the oldest, I tried to break it up.  That resulted in me falling overboard.”

“Hana, I’m sorry, I should’ve—”

I shrugged.  “There’s really nothing to be sorry about.  You came here to enjoy yourself, so I suggest you should.”

He nodded.

“And…” I took a deep breath.  “I didn’t even tell Sunggyu this, so you shouldn’t either.”

"Look!" Dongwoo cheered, pointing into the distance.  We turned, catching a glimpse of the first rays of sunlight.  Various shades of orange and pink shone through the sky.

"It's pretty," I commented.

Hoya glanced at me.  "Yeah.  It really is."

----------

A/N: Hi!  Wow, I updated twice in one week--an awesome accomplishment for me.  School wise, I'm heading into finals week, so this makes up for a lack of updates?  Okay, I have another question for you.  There have already been bits and pieces of Hana and Andy's relationship shown in the fic.  Should I actually introduce Andy?  I've made my decision about this topic already, but I want to see what you think.