Chapter 12

Welcome to the Family

 

Early the next morning, I found myself free of yesterday’s excruciating pain and ready for the day.  Because I slept so much yesterday, waking up at six in the morning—a feat only accomplished a few times a year—felt effortless.

As I glanced at the calendar, my eyes widened.  “I…I need a ride to the airport,” I muttered, quickly changing out of my pajamas and into my favorite blue striped top and pair of skinny jeans.  Then I ran to the restroom.  In five minutes, I had managed to brush both my hair and teeth twice.

“A ride to the airport.”  At that point, Dongwoo seemed like the only logical choice—if he was up for it.  If not, I could always steal some money from Sunggyu, since he bragged to me a lot about his income.  I thought idols didn’t make a lot of money, but Sunggyu carried around about 100,000 won at a time.

I snuck into the Infinite dorm, making sure that all was quiet.  Sunggyu was a monster if woken up early—I know from experience. 

“Hana?” Someone called out.

.  I’ve been discovered.  “Hey, Gyu.”

“What are you doing here?”

“I need Dongwoo.”

“No, you don’t.  You need Sunggyu.”

“Huh?”

“What do you need me for?” He repeated.

“I need—”

“Hana, tell oppa what you need.”

“A ride to the airport.”

“Let’s go!”

I stared at my older brother, mouth agape.  “Seriously?  You can drive?”

“Heck no.”

“Then…?”

“Taxi.”

I breathed a sigh of relief.  “I thought you were seriously considering driving me to the airport.”

“I have no interest in driving anyway,” he scoffed.  “But if I tried, I know I’d pass the driver’s test easily.”

“Don’t you have, I don’t know, something to do today?” I grumbled.  “Because whenever I see you, you’re always lying around in your pajamas, ordering people around.”

“Plenty of things!  I’m Infinite’s leader, Kim Sunggyu.  I have so many things to do that it can’t be fit into one day.”

“Right.”

--

“Where is that boyfriend of yours?” Sunggyu exclaimed furiously.  “I swear, we’ve been here for hours on end, waiting for your lover boy from America—”

“Sunggyu.”

“Hm?”

“We’ve been here for exactly eight minutes.”

“Oh.”

“You were never a patient person, were you?” I snickered.

“All I’m saying is—”

“Ah.” I effectively cut Sunggyu off.  “His plane landed now.”

Sunggyu finally lost patience and grabbed my hand.  “Let’s go.”

“Where?”

“To meet your boyfriend.  I want to meet the boy you speak highly of.”

I allowed Sunggyu to drag me off for the second time—being dragged beat walking any day.  Though, once his hold on me started to become painful, I yanked my arm free of his grip and started searching the crowd for Andy.

“I…see him.” Leaving Sunggyu waiting, I pushed through the crowds—finally catching a glimpse of my boyfriend.  “Andy!”

He looked up.  “Hana!”  And with a big smile, he ran toward me, pulling me into a hug.  “I missed you so much!”

I haven’t introduced Andy in detail, have I?  Well, Andy is short by Korean standards—about 170 centimeters tall.  Andy’s still taller than I am, though.  His light brown hair contrasts with his dark brown eyes and makes him look like some anime character.  He told me he dyed his hair a lighter shade of brown a few years ago and doesn’t plan on returning to his jet-black hair.  He doesn’t really style his hair; he usually wakes up in the morning and immediately puts on a cap.  His ears are pierced—something we did on one of our school trips to Canada.  Andy played some soccer growing up, but he quit to pursue music.

“Did you come here alone?” he asked in concern.  “Because if I knew you were—”

“It’s fine.  I came with my older brother.”

“That’s a relief.” He smiled, switching to English almost instantly.  “What kind of a boyfriend would make his very pretty girlfriend wait by herself at the airport?”

“Don’t use English around me,” I whined.  “It’ll give me a headache.”

“Why?  Haven’t been practicing?” He wrapped an arm around my shoulder.

“Not at all.”

“That’s my Hana.” He leaned down to kiss my cheek.

At that point, a cold sensation washed over me.  I turned to see Sunggyu standing in a corner by himself.  Man, if looks could kill…

“Ah.” I cleared my throat.  “That old-looking guy over there is my brother Sunggyu.”

“Where?” Andy looked around.

“The one with the small eyes.”

He chuckled.  “Ah.  The one wearing eyeliner?”

“Yeah—wait.  How’d you know he was wearing eyeliner?  I can’t even tell.”

“Guys know other guys, Hana.”

“Hm.”

“Will you introduce me to your brother?”

“You’ll probably regret it, but if you insist.” I grinned.  “Don’t you have luggage?”

“Nah.  I just took my backpack.  I’m staying for a week, and if I need anything, I can buy it here.”

I grabbed his hand and led him over to Sunggyu.  Sunggyu took one look up and down, and he smiled a bit.  “Nice to meet you.”

Personally, I wasn’t expecting a warm welcome from Sunggyu, much less a smile.  I nudged Andy, gesturing for him to respond.

“Nice to meet you, hyung.”

“Eh?”

“How old are you, then?  If you don’t mind me asking, that is.”

“April 28, 1989.  Do the math because I’m too lazy.”

“And I’m born in 1992, which makes you my hyung.  Or we could use the Western way and address each other by first names,” Andy said cheerfully.

“Your hair?” Sunggyu gestured.

“I dyed it.”

“Your earrings?”

“Hana accompanied me to get my ears pierced because I was too afraid to go by myself.”

“Your shoes?”

“I brought my best pair of Vans.” Andy smiled.  “Do you want a pair like this?”

I smiled widely, but on the inside, I knew it was going to be a long week.

----------

A/N: Yo.  This is somewhat of a filler chapter, although very necessary for the transition into Andy's arrival.  Did I do a good job of describing him? ^^.  Ha.  Anyway, thanks again for reading such a strange story and bearing with me~