Chapter 14

Welcome to the Family

 

The convenience store was an excuse to get out of the apartment.  Of course, I shouldn’t have left Andy alone because the guys because…well…I don’t even want to go there.  Andy’s request was forcing me to choose between family and him.  I know what my answer is already, but how do I make myself not sound like a jerk?

“Your phone’s been ringing for the past minute,” a voice from behind me called out.  I turned around in shock, surprised to see Nam Woohyun standing behind me.

“Aren’t you going to answer that?” He gestured toward my phone, which was indeed ringing.

“Y-Yeah.”  Putting my phone to my ear, I answered, “Hello?”

“Hana?” Andy’s voice came through the phone.  “Thank goodness you answered.”

“I was only going to the convenience store,” I muttered.  “There’s no need to worry.”

“I must’ve shocked you, huh?” came his reply. 

I nodded, forgetting that he couldn’t see me.  “Yeah.”

“Well, I still want you to think about it, but I’m not forcing you into anything you don’t want to do.”

“I’ll see you soon,” I murmured.

“Love you.”

I couldn’t bring myself to reply and hung up instead.  Turning to Woohyun with hands on my hips, I glared.  “Were you following me?”

“No.” He stuffed his hands into his pockets.  “I’m going in this direction too.”

“For what?”

“Stuff.”

“What kind of stuff?” I smiled.

“Just stuff.”

“You followed me, didn’t you?”

“Maybe.”

I walked in silence with Woohyun following a few feet behind.  Personally, I wasn’t sure where I was going, but I didn’t plan on going far.  Finally eyeing a bench, I took a seat.  Woohyun followed suit.

“Do you like your boyfriend?” he asked.

“Why ask all of a sudden?”

“I want to know!” He protested.

“Yes.”

“A lot?”

“Yes.”

“So…there’s no room in your heart for anyone else?”

“You guys are in my heart.  We’re a family, right?” I replied, taking careful note of his expression.  “Of course, family members would be in my heart as well.”

“What about Nam Woohyun, not as a family member, but as a man?” Woohyun asked.

“I’m dating Andy,” I said flatly.  “Having feelings for anyone else would be wrong.”  But I couldn’t manage to look into his eyes, though, in fear that my voice would betray me.  Woohyun, I noticed, had the ability to see through my words and interpret the deeper meaning.  He could do all of that by looking into my eyes.

“But if there was no Andy…”

I sighed.  “What are you trying to get at, Woohyun?  I love Andy, and no one will change that.”

“Feelings change,” he murmured.  “People change.”

“Huh?” I finally looked up at him.

Woohyun stared at me curiously.  “Hana…”

“Yeah?”

“He’ll…he’ll take you away from us.”

“What are you talking about?”

“Andy told us that he’s taking you back to America with him at the end of the week.  Is it true?”

“Woohyun…”

“Is it?”  He repeated.  “Please tell me it isn’t.  I don’t want to believe it.”

“Do you want me to stay?” I asked.  If you hold me back, Nam Woohyun, I just might stay here—as long as you need me.  “And do the others want me to stay?”

“Sunggyu,” Woohyun replied, “Freaked when he heard the news.  Sungjong had to hold him up because he got ‘weak’ in the legs or something.”

“Typical Sunggyu,” I replied carefully.  “But what about you?  Do you want me to continue to live next to you?”

“I…have no right to hold you back.”

Yes, you do.  Biting my bottom lip in thought, I muttered, “I see.”

“Are you ready to go home?”

“No.”

“Why not?”

“I told Andy that I was going to the convenience store.  I have to buy something, or he’ll wonder what I was doing.”

“Oh.”

--

“She’s crazy, wandering off into Seoul like that!” I heard a scream as Woohyun and I walked down the hallway.  “And what’s Woohyun doing going after her?  He at navigating.  I should’ve gone after her.”

“All you do is nag, Sunggyu hyung,” Woohyun called out.  “I found Hana and got her back safely, faster than you ever would’ve.”

My heart sort of sank when I realized that Woohyun was back to his normal self.  I enjoyed hanging out with the mature Nam Woohyun, the real Nam Woohyun.  The Woohyun that made fun of others, even in fun, wasn’t enjoyable to be around.  Maybe the members liked that, but I didn’t.  “Hey, Gyu!” I added in as cheerfully as I could.

“Why would you do that to us, Hana?” Sunggyu whined.  “I thought…I thought you ran away.”

“Has it been that long?”

“Hana,” Woohyun whispered, “It’s almost midnight.”

My eyes widened when I realized I had been out for almost an hour.  “—”

“No cursing,” Sunggyu snapped.

“Gosh, I’m sorry, Gyu,” I said.  “I really didn’t know.”  Trying to avoid Sunggyu’s glare, I sent Woohyun a look.  “Well, I’ll be going now.  Thanks for finding me, Woohyun.  Good night, Gyu.”

“Yah, Kim Hana.  You scared us tonight.  Maybe you were gone for an hour this time, but what about next time?  What made you leave your apartment without telling anyone, not even your boyfriend?”

“Because Andy asked me—”

“Well, it’s getting late, Hana.  Shouldn’t you be going in?” Woohyun interrupted, wrapping his arm around both Sunggyu and me.  “Because I’m sure we all need sleep right now.”

“Wait, Hana,” Sunggyu called.  “What did Andy ask you?”

“Let’s go, Sunggyu hyung.”

“Hana.”

I sighed.  “He asked me to return to America with him.”

Sunggyu stared at me with something strange in his eyes.  “Did he?”

“Yeah, but—”

“Then go.”

“Huh?  But, Sunggyu—”

“Go to America with him.”

----------

A/N: Wow, I actually updated.  Honestly, if you've noticed, things are speeding up now because I have no plans of making this go over 20 chapters.  And, if you're confused as to why Sunggyu said some things, it will all be explained later (or will it?).  K, bye.