Chapter 16

Welcome to the Family

 

“I’m leaving with Andy tomorrow,” I announced in front of the boys.  Slowly, I noticed that the laughter died down into complete silence.  Funny how guys who weren’t even related to me could feel like a real family.

“I thought you weren’t leaving until next week,” Sunggyu replied.  Dongwoo nodded, a frown starting to appear on his normally happy face.

“We couldn’t get tickets for next week.  Apparently, since next month is Christmas, everyone wants a plane ride to America.”  I was lying now.

“Tomorrow already?” Sungyeol whined.  “But we never even got to spend that much time together!  And that goes for all of us.  With the end of promotions and all…we’re still sort of busy.”

“I won’t forget you guys, though,” I replied, as if that would be enough.  I knew it wouldn’t be.

“Yeah right,” Woohyun grumbled.  “With that boyfriend of yours, how will you even have time to remember us?”

“Shut up, Woohyun hyung,” Myungsoo said.  “How could she forget us?”

Hoya caught my eye with a grin.  Slowly looking at Myungsoo, then me, then back at Myungsoo, he started to chuckle. 

There’s no way he could know.

“It seems at though Hana wants to tell me something,” Hoya announced finally, pushing past Sungjong to get to me.  He put his hands on my shoulders and pushed me out the door.  We were finally alone.

“Yes?” I asked.

“Myungsoo confessed, didn’t he?” He smirked.  “I didn’t think that guy had it in him.”

“Why this all of a sudden?” I grumbled.

Hoya shrugged.  “I’m curious.”

Sighing, I replied, “How did you know?”

“I’ve known Myungsoo since our trainee days, and he’s had his fair amount of love interests.  He never confessed to any of them, now that I think about it.”  He chuckled.  “And I could tell, from the way he looked at you, that he liked you a lot.”

“Oh.”

“And even though you had a boyfriend already—I honestly wondered if you were telling the truth or if you were just faking it—I promised to help him confess, at least.”

“Why are our conversations getting so deep and meaningful?” I grumbled.  “I swear, first Myungsoo, and now you.”

“And plus, I like to win.”

“What does that have to do with anything?”

“Let’s just say that another guy was starting to develop feelings for you…he didn’t confess yet, did he?”

“No—wait, what?”

“That’s a relief.  Which means that I won, of course.”

“You really are something.”

“I know, right?” Pausing, he added, “I’ll give you a hint, though.”

That caught my attention.  I folded my arms across my chest and stared at him straight in the eye.  “Tell me, then.”

“Do you want to know?”

“Yes.”

He grinned.  “Do you really want to know?”

“Yes.”

“Really?”

“Forget it.” Hoya could be really difficult when he wanted to be.

“The most handsome member out of the remaining five of us.  Sunggyu doesn’t count.  Neither does Myungsoo.  Think about that one, Kim Hana.”

--

“Can we talk?”

“You too?” I scoffed when I saw Sunggyu standing at the door.  “It seems like all the members of Infinite want to talk to me now that I’m leaving.”

“Hana, let me in.”

“Make me!” I stuck my tongue out.

Sunggyu sighed, running a hand through his red hair.  I never really noticed Sunggyu’s change of hair color, but from the rumors running around, I heard that he was making some sort of solo debut.  Why he needed to change his hair color, I’d never know.  Red didn’t really suit him, after all.  I debated whether to comment on his choice of hair color, but I chose to keep my observations to myself.

“You’re such a child, you know.”

“Thanks.”

“It wasn’t a compliment.”

“Just come in, then,” I grumbled.  “Andy’s out getting food, so there’s no one home.” 

I led Sunggyu toward the couch, and we both sat down.  I sort of rested my head on his shoulder, and I could’ve sworn that he was smiling.  But when I looked up, his face was emotionless.

“Hana, I’m sorry, okay?”

“Huh?”

“For jumping to conclusions like that.”

Silence enveloped the room.  I pondered his words and came to the conclusion that when Sunggyu apologized, he was being sincere.  I knew him long enough to realize that he didn’t apologize to others often.

“Then I’m sorry too,” I replied slowly.

“For what?”

“For every time I didn’t listen to you.”

“Why are you apologizing all of a sudden?”

I smiled.  “Do you want something to eat?”

“I’m on a diet.”

“Really?” My eyes widened.  “Why?”

“I’m getting ready for my comeback, if you didn’t know.”

“You…don’t even want to eat something made by me?”

“Hana, you can’t even cook.”

--

Finally, at the end of the day, when all of my bags were packed, Andy and I sat down in front of the television, not to watch the news or anything, but to talk.  About us.  Many thoughts flooded through my mind, and I was scared of all of them.

“Hana, you aren’t returning with me, are you?”

I sighed.  “I’m really sorry.”

“No, it’s fine.” He waved his hands in front of him.  “I sort of knew that you weren’t returning, once I saw your close relationship with your brother and his friends.”

“Sorry.”

“But Hana,” he replied, “Where exactly are you going?”  Andy gestured toward my packed suitcase and backpack.

“I’m moving back in with my parents.”

“Oh.”

“And please don’t talk to the other guys about it, especially Sunggyu.”

“Why not?”

“I haven’t really told them yet.  They think I’m going back to America with you.”

He stared at me in confusion.  “Why shouldn’t they know?”

“I wasn’t meant to stay here forever, after all.  Mom and Dad are done moving, and they’ve settled into their new apartment.  It’s time for me to leave.”

----------

A/N: Well, the world didn't end.  Here's an update.  Next chapter is the last official chapter, followed by an author's note with my thank yous to everyone who supported this.  We aren't far from the end :') --kpopluvr18