Chapter 2

Welcome to the Family

 

“Only one suitcase?” Sunggyu raised an eyebrow.  While the manager was parking the car, he ordered Sunggyu, Hoya, and I to head up to the apartment and settle in.  Sunggyu insisted that he carry my luggage, although I could manage it perfectly on my own.  Hoya offered to carry my backpack, but I didn’t want to be thought of as a weak person.  I politely declined his offer, which genuinely surprised him.

“Yes, Gyu, because the rest of my stuff is with my boyfriend back in America.”

“When are you going to tell me more about this boyfriend?” Sunggyu whined in annoyance.

“Never.” I chuckled.

The elevator door opened, and Sunggyu dragged me out with a force I didn’t know he had.  I didn’t mind being dragged, though, because it meant less walking for me.  I wished that Sunggyu would carry me around or let me sit on the luggage while he wheeled it around, but I knew he would never allow that.  Yes, laziness was a quality of mine, and I was too lazy to even bother to change that quality.

“Ugh, why are you so heavy?” Sunggyu grumbled.

I smirked.  “Why don’t you stop dragging me then, big brother?”

“Hyung, I’m going to the dorm,” Hoya called out, walking in the opposite direction.  Sunggyu nodded and waved.

“It’s this door,” Sunggyu muttered to himself.  I wasn’t sure if I was supposed to hear him, so I just nodded.  “Kim Hana, here’s where you’ll be spending the next few months.”  He pushed the door open, revealing a simple apartment with plain, white walls and a shiny floor.  “It’s not that fascinating, I’ll admit, but I’m sure you could do something to turn the apartment into something you’d like.”

“So I can, like, paint the walls and stuff?” I asked eagerly.

“Maybe not that.” Sunggyu frowned.  “But you’re free to put up wallpaper.”

“That’s no fun,” I mumbled.  Yanking my suitcase away from Sunggyu, I made my way into what I assumed was the bedroom and let my luggage slide across the floor to the opposite end of the room.  I would unpack later.

Taking another glance at the neatly packed suitcase, though, I decided that living out of my suitcase would be just as effective.

“How did you pay for this room?” I called out to Sunggyu.  “You can’t be that rich, can you?”

He smiled.  “Maybe I am.”  Seeing my look of disbelief, he continued, “Infinite is really popular these days!”  I still wasn’t convinced, so he kept on going.  “Okay, Woollim Entertainment owns about half of the rooms on this floor.”

I nodded.  “That makes sense, then.  Are you sure I’m not invading someone’s home?”

“I checked with the CEO, and surprisingly, he was pretty chill about letting you stay here.”

“Do I get to meet the Infinite members?”

“Only if they want to meet you.”

“Is that a no?”

“Yes.”

“Yes?”

“No.”

“Make up your mind, Gyu,” I whined.

“You phrased the question in a weird way.”

“Tell me about your members, then,” I demanded, sitting on Sunggyu’s immediate left.  I leaned my head on his shoulder, closing my eyes.

“Well, first there’s Woohyun.  Woohyun is kinda bi-polar.  One moment, he’ll be acting cute and fluffy, and the next moment he’ll be moody and stuff.  But for the fans, of course, he’s always cute and fluffy.”

“This is awkward already.  You just called another dude cute and fluffy.”

“Stop interrupting me,” Sunggyu snapped.  “Then there’s Dongwoo, and he’s pretty carefree all of the time.  He’s not book smart, but he’s street smart, and that’s what will get him far in life.”

“Street smart.” I snickered.  Seeing Sunggyu’s look, I cleared my throat and said, “Hearing you describing your team members is strange.”

“Then,” he glared, “there’s Hoya, whom you met already.  He’s pretty quiet at home, making him one of my favorites.  He doesn’t nag me as much, which is great.  He’s a really good dancer too, so if you ever need help with dancing, he’s the guy to ask.”  He waited for my comment, but I had none, so he moved on.  “There’s Sungyeol.  He’s the tallest member, and he’s probably the friendliest guy you’ll meet in Infinite.  Sungyeol is into stripes, by the way, although no one outside of the group knows that.”

“Stripes?”

Sunggyu shrugged.  “He didn’t say that in particular, but I see a lot of striped clothing in his closet.  I just assumed.”

“Oh.  You go through your members’ stuff?”

“For entertainment purposes, Hana.  Now, where was I?” He pushed my head gently off his shoulder.  “There’s Myungsoo.  Myungsoo is the weirdest guy you’ll ever meet.  He seems cold, but he’s just strange.  I don’t know what’s going on in his head, and I’m not sure I want to find out.” Sunggyu shuddered. 

“Is he sick minded?” I asked immediately.

“What?  How should I know?”

“I think I’ll get along with him well, then.”

“Finally, our youngest member is Sungjong.  He may act like a spoiled kid sometimes, but he’s a good person in general.  He always does the chores, since he is the youngest, and he keeps his complaints to a minimum.  But when we’re on camera, that kid always complains.”

I thought about it for a moment.  “Since you’ve told me about your members, I guess I’ll tell you about my boyfriend.”

“Please do.”

“So, his Korean name is Shin, but everyone knows him by his American name, which is Andy.  He’s from Los Angeles, so you’ll probably never meet him.”

“What does he look like?”

I shrugged.  “I have a picture.  Do you want to see?”  I took out my cell phone and started flipping through my photos.  “Here’s a picture of us at Disneyland!” I pointed to a picture taken right outside the theme park.  “And here’s a picture of us at the beach during one of our school trips.”

“Let me see,” Sunggyu snapped.  He grabbed the phone away from me, violently flipping through the various pictures.  “So this is the guy you’ve been dating?  How long have you two—?”

“Eight months?”

“That long?” Sunggyu’s eyes widened.  I laughed.

“Andy speaks Korean fluently.  In fact, his family was my host family.  He tutored me in English and everything.”

“You got paired up with a boy’s family during your stay?”

“It wasn’t Andy.  I was paired up with his sister.  He just happened to be there most of the time.”

Sunggyu stood up suddenly.  “I guess it’s time to introduce you to the members.”

“Sweet!” I exclaimed.  “I can’t wait.”

He led me out the door and into the hallway.  We stopped in front of the apartment two doors to my right, and Sunggyu fumbled for the key in his pocket.  After three tries, he finally got the door to open and walked inside.  Seeing that I wasn’t following, he dragged me in with him.

“It took you a really long time to open the door.  Your age catching up to you?” I laughed.

“Kids, I’m back!  And I brought someone that I’d like you to meet!” He yelled, completely ignoring me.

“Another girlfriend, Sunggyu hyung?  Do you really have the time to be out looking for pretty girls?” Someone called from the kitchen.

I shot an accusing glare at my brother, who tried telling me that what his teammate was saying wasn’t true.

“No, Sungyeol, I bet he brought another idol.”

“Then, I hope it’s a pretty girl idol.”

Sunggyu attempted to fix my hair by hiding my blue highlights, but I pushed him away and glared.  “What’s your deal with my highlights?”

“They’re blue.  Must anything else be said?”

I rolled my eyes.  “Gosh.”

“Sunggyu hyung, you really should stop bringing random strangers into—” A boy walked out of the kitchen, I assumed, to meet us.  When he saw me, he immediately glanced away—out of embarrassment, maybe?  I wasn’t sure.

“Oh, Myungsoo?  I thought you had a schedule or something?  What are you doing home?”

“Nope.  Besides our final group promotions earlier this week, I don’t have much to do.  Anyway, hyung, can you help me with something?” Then he turned toward me.  “What’s your name?”

“This person is,” Sunggyu said before I could respond, “Hana, my younger sister.”

Younger sister?  Since when did you have a younger sister?  And why is she named Hana?  Doesn’t that mean ‘first’?  It’s kinda weird, you know, naming your younger sister Hana.”

“You’re acting strange again.” Sunggyu rolled his eyes.  “Seriously.  Will it kill you to be normal for a whole day?”

“I can’t do normal, Sunggyu hyung.  Normal is boring.”

“Look, Hana is an adopted child.  She was the oldest child at the orphanage, so she wanted everyone to call her Hana.”

Myungsoo nodded.  “So she isn’t your real sister?”

“We aren’t related by blood, but you don’t need to be related by blood to be family.” Sunggyu turned toward me and said, “Why don’t you look for the other guys and introduce yourself while I help Myungsoo with whatever he needs?”

“But I don’t know any of them!  How can I just go in there and introduce myself?” I replied.  “I’ll just wait here for you.”

“Look for Hoya.  He’ll introduce you to the other guys.”

----------

A/N: Hi!  Here's the second chapter.  After proofreading twice, I caught a whole crapload of mistakes that Microsoft Word missed, but there are probably a lot more mistakes in the chapter.  Thanks for reading!