Chapter 15

Welcome to the Family

 

“How can you say that like it’s nothing?” I exclaimed.  In the back of my mind, I was sort of glad that no one else lived on the floor.  Our voices could wake up the entire city of Seoul, I tell you.

“I know how much he means to you.  Why aren’t you thanking me?”

“Sunggyu!”

“Hana, don’t you want to go?” Sunggyu replied.  “Isn’t he important to you?  Think of your future!”

“Maybe—Maybe you guys mean just as much to me!” Screaming, I turned around and stormed into my apartment.  Tears threatened to fall, so I did my best to hold them back.  I grabbed my suitcase and started to throw my clothes inside. 

Someone placed a hand on my shoulder.  “Hana.  Calm down.”

“Andy…I’ll go back with you.”

“You aren’t thinking straight.  Consider this again tomorrow morning.”

“No!  I mean it.”

“Hana, I know you,” he replied.  “You aren’t sane right now.”

“I am perfectly sane,” I protested.

He shook his head.  “Remember Disneyland?”

My eyes widened, and the grip I had on my suitcase weakened.  I suddenly recalled the famous California theme park, filled with so many rides that one day inside wasn’t enough time to look at everything.

“Oh, and what about the time we went Christmas shopping?”

I sighed.  “Don’t you want me to go with you?  Why does it sound like you’re persuading me to stay?”

“I don’t want you to be sad, Hana.  If you don’t want to go back, there’s no way that I can force you to go.  I mean, it’s you’re life and all.  I can’t stop you from staying if you really want to.”

“But…what about us?  If I stay here…”

Andy smiled.  “We’ll find a way.  And if we can’t, we’ll keep going as friends.”

I stared at my boyfriend in awe.  Truly, I’ve found one of the greatest guys ever.

--

“I don’t understand her!”

As I walked past Infinite’s apartment, I could make out the faintest of Sunggyu’s complaints.  I rolled my eyes and walked toward the elevator.  I had told Andy that I was going out for some fresh air.  Of course, whenever I said something like that, it usually ended up being a lie.  I took out my cell phone and contemplated calling one of the members out.

“Hana!”

Or not.  I turned around, noticing Myungsoo’s usual black jacket and jeans. 

“Hi,” I replied flatly.  “I’m going out for some fresh air.”

“I know.”

“How do you know?” My eyes narrowed.

“Isn’t that what you always do when you’re upset about something?” he asked innocently.  “You lie to everyone and tell them that you want fresh air.”

“You don’t understand.”

“Hurtful,” he teased.  “But I won’t know until you tell me anyway.”

“I’m sorry, Myungsoo, but I don’t think I can.  I’m just not sure of myself anymore.”

“Go on.”

“When I arrived in Korea, everything was set.  I had a boyfriend.  My parents and my older brother got me an apartment while the family moved into Seoul.  My older brother was an idol star who didn’t have enough time for me.  I was used to everything already.”

“And then?”

“You guys…surprised me.”

He scoffed.  “We’re Infinite.  Of course we’d surprise you.”

“The way you guys act with each other…makes me happy that my brother has found a great bunch of guys.” I smiled.  “And I had my doubts about you guys too.”

“Doubts?”

“Yeah.  I couldn’t believe…that a bunch of guys could come together like you guys do and form such strong bonds with each other.  It made me feel happy.  Even though you guys never met me before that first day, you all welcomed me—sans Woohyun, of course—with warmth.”

“You make it sound like you’re leaving us.”

“I am.”

“So you’re going back to America with your boyfriend?”

I didn’t respond.  I didn’t want Myungsoo—or any of the guys, for that matter—to know that I had other things in mind.

“I take that as a yes.” Myungsoo placed one hand on my shoulder.

“Sorry.”

He smiled.  “There’s no need to be sorry.”

I shook my head.  “Why can’t you hate me for being selfish?”

“I can’t hate you.”

“Why?”

“Because I love you.”

--

My thoughts shifted to my conversation with Myungsoo as I packed the remainder of my things back into my suitcase.

“W-What?”

He sighed.  “I wanted to be cool about the confession and everything, but you were so that I had to say it.”

“I…have a boyfriend.”

“I know.  That’s why, no matter how much it hurts me to have you reject me, I wanted to tell you.  Just so that you’d know.  So that later on, I wouldn’t have regrets of remaining silent.”

----------

A/N: Wow, it's been a while.  Sorry for the short chapter after such a long wait.  I...have no excuses.  Also, this fanfiction is ending soon--20 chapters max.  I probably will only go to 16 or 17, though.  Anyway, prepare yourselves for the ending.  I have something in mind.