Chapter 11

Welcome to the Family

 

“Hana!” I could hear Sunggyu’s incessant knocking at my door, but I did not have the willpower to get up and let him inside.  It was not because of laziness; rather, it was that time of the month, and Mother Nature hit me with a pick up truck this time.

“Go away, Gyu.  I’m sick,” I whined.  The pain hit again, sending me crawling toward my kitchen counter, where the bottle of painkillers sat unopened.  I opened the bottle and immediately swallowed two pills without thinking.  My water bottle sat on the floor, and I chugged down almost half of the bottle.  Pills were disgusting.

“Hana!”

The painkillers would take a little while to start working, but I soon found that I did not have the time to wait.  I needed pain relief right at that moment.  Placing my heat pack against my stomach, I sighed in temporary relief.

“Hana, I’m coming in, whether you like it or not.”

“No, Gyu!  You’ll get sick too!” I lied for the heck of it.  Getting horrible period cramps were bad enough; my older brother knowing that I had period cramps was even worse.

“Ah!” I heard him exclaim.  “I have a key!”

“Sunggyu—”

But the doorknob was already turning, and I knew that I had lost the battle.  He entered with a worried expression—at least, from what I could see in my position on the floor.

“Hana!” He ran toward me, crouching down next to my curled-up body.  “Where does it hurt?”

“It’s embarrassing, Gyu!” I muttered.  “I’m not going to tell you.”

“But look at you!  It’s almost as if…” He stopped speaking at that moment.  “Wait.  Do you, by any chance, have—?”

“Yes!” I said, exasperated.  “I’m on my period, okay?”

His cheeks reddened.  “I was thinking fever, but…oh…um…what should I do?”

“Leave me alone,” I whined.

He shook his head uncertainly.  “Should I hold you?”

“No, please don’t—”

I soon found myself in Sunggyu’s arms, something I didn’t think he was even capable of.

“You’re lighter than I remember, Hana.  You should eat more.”  He brought me over to my bed and placed me under the covers.  “Is there anything that you need?”

“Yeah.”

“What?”

“Hoya.”

His nose wrinkled.  “Hoya?”

“Yeah.”

“Why?”

“Or Myungsoo, I guess.”

With a slight pout, he nodded in agreement.  “I’ll bring whoever’s home.”  I watched as he made his way out of my apartment.

Minutes later, I felt a pair of cool hands on my cheeks.  The person fixed my bangs and adjusted the blankets around me.

“You’re not sick, are you?” I could recognize Hoya’s voice from a mile away.

“You don’t believe me?” I opened one eye slightly.

He shook his head quickly.  “No, you’re sick, just…not the contagious kind of sick.”

“Bingo.”

“Sunggyu hyung said that you personally requested for my presence.  Am I that fascinating to you?” He grinned.

I shook my head.  “You have interesting things to say.  So does Myungsoo, but Myungsoo seems to be the busiest guy in Infinite as of lately.”

“It’s not that he’s busy, Hana,” Hoya replied, “It’s just that the rest of us have nothing to do.  My sitcom got pushed back, so I don’t have to do that.  Group promotions are over as well.”

I yawned.  “Can you hold me?”

“Excuse me?”

“Andy always used to hold me.  I miss Andy,” I murmured, and Hoya’s gaze softened.  “Whenever I felt like this, he’d always try to distract me from the pain,” I continued.

“Your boyfriend…is a nice person, right?”

“Of course.” I wanted to stop talking, but I felt exhausted—probably from the pain medication.  “Why wouldn’t he be?”

“Just wondering,” he said casually.  “I’ve rarely come into contact with American boys, so…”

“There’s no need to worry.” I yawned.  “He’s the nicest person in the world.”

Hoya sighed but took me into his arms.  “Of course you’d say that.  You’re his girlfriend.”

I wanted to protest and say that Andy really was a nice person, but he cut me short. 

“Sleep, Hana.  You won’t feel pain in your dreams, after all.”

--

“Aw, our Hana is sick in bed because of her per—”

“Shut up, Myungsoo.”

“Rude.” He rolled his eyes, taking a seat on the edge of my bed.  I could tell that he didn’t truly mean it, because I could sense the amusement in his voice.

“Did you bring me food?”

“No, why would I?” he scoffed.  “I’m not your servant.”  Seeing the expression on my face might’ve changed his mind, for he pulled out a chocolate bar from his pocket.  “Here.  I was planning to eat this, but since your face looks so pitiful…”

“Again, shut up, Myungsoo.”

“I’m going to pretend that I didn’t hear that.” He handed me the chocolate bar, but I placed it back in his pocket. 

“I’m not a fan of chocolate.”

“So you aren’t hungry?”

“Ah, you just like to mock me, don’t you?” I grumbled, throwing my blankets off my bed.

He looked after me.  “Where are you going?”

“To find some food.”

“Where?”

“Does your dorm have food?”

Myungsoo scoffed.  “Obviously not.  And I thought you hated eating.”

“I haven’t eaten anything all freaking day,” I whined.  “I’m sure it would be okay to eat something…like cereal.”

“Is that all you have in this apartment?” Myungsoo replied.  “I swear, every time I see you, you’re always eating some sort of cereal.”

“It’s healthier than eating, say, rice.”

“So let me get this straight.  Your favorite food is cereal.”

“And ramyun.  But ramyun makes my face swollen, so I try not to eat as much of it when I can.”

“This…” He stared.  “Is horrifying.  Why are you trying so hard to be skinny?  You look good already.”

“You see, Myungsoo,” I replied.  “I look for a great personality in a guy, rather than looks.  But do guys do the same?”

“…No.”

“You rarely see guys looking for a great personality.  It’s all about looks,” I said seriously.  “And plus, I have my boyfriend to consider.”

“What?  Does he not like you for who you are?”

“He does.” I frowned.  “I just feel that he could do so much better than me.  The foreigners I met in America were all gorgeous.”

“Skinny is good,” Myungsoo said carefully, “Until it gets out of hand.”  He pinched my cheek.  “See?  Cheek fat is good.  It makes you younger and, well, cuter.”

I sighed.  “But—”

“You aren’t overweight, Hana, so don’t treat yourself as if you are.”

“But the girls on television.  The idols.  They’re all—”

“You’re very pretty today.”

----------

A/N: Hi!  Um, my AFF profile was strange up until this morning, so I was hesitant to update before now.  Um...thanks for reading!  I'll be sure to come back with an even better chapter next time.