Raffle!

Adventure

“And this is the last bandage! What do you want me to do? Peel it slowly so you can reminisce in all those times we got free things because we looked more battered than a punching bag or-”

“God damn it Jonghyun if you don’t rip it off this second I’m going to- !” Key cursed as the brunette nursing him yanked the tape and gauze off without warning. Jonghyun smirked and leaned down, raising a brow when he looked at his friend.

“You’re going to ‘’?”

Key glared and shoved him away, rubbing the reddening skin on his cheek, “You piece of .”

The elder shrugged and leaned back on the bed, “I wouldn’t mind providing my services for that, but I have a complete lack of experience for… relations with the same gender. Course I wouldn’t mind trying-”

“You can’t just switch from to like that. People don’t become instantly gay, Jonghyun, just because they see a nice piece of or, in your case, have a dirty imagination.”

“Who said I was straight?”

Key narrowed his eyes and walked to the mirror, checking out the leftover scabs on his face. They were no bigger than a nail and were scattered across the left side of his face, they could also easily be hidden by his bangs. With good concealer and a few more weeks, no one would ever know he had been in a car accident.  

His time with the ‘SHINee’ Trio (As they called themselves because their clumsy leader had a small case of ADHD and got easily distracted by shiny things), was a little more than stressful and was probably the reason why his healing had slowed. Still, Key had fun and after some relaxation he’d be as good as new.

The same could not be said for Jonghyun, who was sporting a scar on one of his biceps. It was interesting enough to draw attention, but not serious enough to make him stand out like a man with a third eye. Still, he might as well have one. Key was trying very hard not to gape at him and wondered where their conversation was going to go from there.

“I don’t know,” he cleared his throat, coming back from the initial shock of Jonghyun’s contradictory statement, “Maybe your ex-girlfriends? They seemed pretty convinced that you were.”

“Well a man can be bi.”

“Jonghyun.”

“What? I’d be lying if I said I never thought about it.”

“With who?”

He noted how Jonghyun tensed before he replied, “Someone…”

“My best guess is people at the club.”

“I guess you could say that…” Key saw his expression become resigned and decided to drop the subject. He didn’t like being weird with Jonghyun, they were best friends but god knows how awkward things can get when one of their mood’s deflated.

“Whatever, not everything needs a label. So,” he clapped his hands and turned around, “What are we doing today?”

Jonghyun grinned, causing Key to smile as well, “I thought you’d never ask.”

--

“How many players today?”

“Just two,” the employee smiled and turned away to fetch their golf clubs. Jonghyun leaned against the counter and winked at Key, who he could feel glaring at him through his sunglasses, “What did I do now?”

“It’s freezing, and you want to play mini golf?”

“Mini-golf is fun! Besides the snow is gone and the sun is shining without a cloud in the sky! We’ll warm up.”

“The only thing the sun is doing for me now is blinding my eyes.”

“Aww toughen up.”’

“Any color preferences?” Han Sung, as her name tag read, asked, peeking her head out the door way in the back.

“How about blue and... pink for the princess?”

“Alrighty,” she disappeared briefly and came back with two clubs and golf balls with matching colors, “Would you like to participate our raffle? It’s completely free and the giveaway is later today at two.”

Jonghyun looked to Key for approval, who shrugged, “Sure, why not?”

“Great, here are your tickets,” she pulled two red slips of paper from her drawer and set them on the table next to the clubs, “And here is your equipment. Enjoy!”

Jonghyun thanked her and reached for the blue club, only to have it be snatched away by Key last minute. He looked up at him confused, but Key smirked in response, “What? You said pink for the princess.”

Han Sung laughed as Jonghyun grumbled curses under his breath and grabbed the very bright, very pink club, following after him, “You’re really something, you know that?”

“Yeah, something awesome,” Key dropped the ball at the first hole and rested the club over his shoulder, “Why don’t we make today more interesting?”

“What do you have in mind?”

“Whoever makes it into the hole with the least swings taken gets to dare the loser into doing whatever they want.”

“Hmmm, sounds easy enough. I’ll have you know I was a professional mini-golfer back in my teenage years.”

“Hyung, I’ve known you since your teenage years. If by mini-golf you mean hitting paper balls with the end of your pencil then by all means hail the mini-golf champion.

“Well I’ve had more experience in this sort of thing than you have.”

Key smirked and stepped up to the mat. He lined up the head of the club with the ball, took a couple of practice swings, and then tapped it with as much force needed to bypass the foam alligator in the center of the course and drop in the hole. Jonghyun hid his surprise as Key let out a small ‘Ha!’ and turned to face him, “That, my friend, was 6 years of professional golf lessons being put to use.”

Jonghyun shrugged, unimpressed, and nudged the blond out of the way with his club, “News flash princess,” he began, lining up the racket like the younger had done so before, “Mini golf is entirely different…” he lit the ball, and looked up at his friend. Key’s eyes widened when Jonghyun heard the hollow drop if a hole-in-one behind him, “from normal golf.”

“You’re on dino-,” he challenged as he retrieved his ball from the hole. Jonghyun trailed after him, then stopped when he realized something.

“What, what happens when we tie?”

“Then we both get a dare. Speaking of which, I dare you to buy me new Ray Bans.”

“What? That’s not a dare.”

“It totally is!”

“Then… I dare you to rescind your dare.”

Key glared, “Fine, in the case of a tie no one gets anything.”

“Deal.”

--

“How is this even possible?” Key huffed as the trudged towards the last hole of the day. Jonghyun was in a similar state of frustration and grunted in response.

All 17 holes they had played up until that point ended with a tie. Neither one of them knew how it was even possible for something like that to happen, but the ties persisted none the less and now they stood at a standoff in front of the last hole.

“Want to make things more interesting?” the blond asked, dropping his blue golf ball.

“How?”

“Let’s hit at the same time, it’s the last hole after all. First one to make it into the windmill wins.”

“Alright,” Jonghyun dropped his pink one next to his and fixed his stance, “You’re on.”

Key mimicked him and the two stared at each other, both holding a competitive gleam in their eyes.

“One…” Jonghyun started the countdown.

“I still think it’s weird you hit with your left side facing out.”

“Two…”

“Who does that? You do, apparently.”

“Three, Go!”

They hit in unison, eyes wide as they watched the windmill for the first flash of color to make it inside. Jonghyun’s eyes widened as he saw his ball get close to the entrance, and was about to cheer until a flicker of blue knocked into it and sent the two flying into the holes surrounding the mill.

They stared blankly at the attraction before turning to look at each other.

“So… We both lost.”

“It seems so.”

Jonghyun pretended to huff like a child and stomped his foot, “It’s all your fault. I was so close but your stupid blue ball got in the way.”

Key snickered and raised his club to point at him, “You seriously thought you could beat the Almighty?”

“You didn’t win either, yours fell into the trench with mine.”

“A small price to pay. If I can’t win, no one can.”

Jonghyun barked with laughter and snatched it out of his hands. He walked ahead to return it to the front table and the employee there was kind enough to remind him of the raffle that was going to occur in a few minutes.

“What are we doing after this?” Key asked as he leaned against one of the tables. Jonghyun had returned with a plate of spicy tteokbokki and two tooth picks; he offered one to him.

“I du- Ah, hot,” he fanned his mouth, “dunno. Maybe we can go see a movie before we head out.”

“Oh? Where are we going next?”

Jonghyun smirked and repeated, “Dunno.”

Key punched his arm and took another bite of the street food. Then, a well dressed woman stepped onto a small stage located near the front of the mini-golf attraction, just a few feet away from where Key and Jonghyun sat. She smiled and took a microphone from Han Sung.

“Ladies and gentleman, I thank you for spending your day at Parks mini-golf! I hope all of you enjoyed it!” there was scattered clapping from around the area and Key only then realized how many people were actually there.

“Damn, is this place really that popular?”

“I guess? Or maybe they’re just here for the raffle.”

“Let’s kick off our main event, shall we?” she continued and the employee from earlier rolled out a small box holding dozens of tickets. Behind them stood a table that was filled with all kinds of prizes and plushies.

“See anything you like?” Jonghyun asked as he eyes the two tickets in his hands.

Key scanned the table and jerked his chin towards the end, “Cruise looks nice, but that’s practically impossible.”

“Practically, but not totally impossible.”

The blond laughed and nodded. The MC started the raffle off with smaller prizes such as stuffed animals and free passes to the mini-golf arena. Key and Jonghyun didn’t win anything then, but then they moved along to the prizes that were more costly.

“Congratulations to the winner of the 'Etude House' winter gift set! Up next is this new 2013 Samchuly Hound!” Jonghyun eyed the bike and nodded in approval. When he was taking classes in the winter the buses would often be crowded with people, so he’d be forced to ride his bike on most days. As much as he could use a new one, this one in particular was made for kids. Still, hounds were often expensive and were usually in the 600,000 Won range.

“Don’t worry Jonghyun,” Key squeezed his knee, “I’m sure you’re short enough to ride that bike.”

“You punk-”

“Eomma look!” A little boy around ten years old squealed besides Jonghyun, “It looks like Junhong’s!”

“Yes, it certainly does. Maybe if you’re lucky you’ll get it.” His mother was an older woman but her kind face reminded Jonghyun of his own. He smiled at the enthusiastic kid until Key pinched his arm.

“Ow! What!?”

“Check your ticket.”

“Why? What are the numbers?”

“Okay everyone, who has the numbers 54180?”

Jonghyun sent Key a questioning look, who shook his head. He looked down at his own ticket and his eyes widened, “Yah, look.”

“Wha- Wow! You won?”

“That’s what the ticket says.”

Key laughed, “Guess you’ll get to ride that bike after all.”

Jonghyun was grinning. He never really won anything that relied on random chance or luck of the draw. But honestly, what was he going to do with a bike like that? He could probably sell it, he saw a bike store a few miles back, probably the same place they got the bike from, or he could…

Jonghyun heard an almost inaudible sniff and looked down at the boy near him. His dejected look was enough to get him to get up and move closer, ignoring Key’s confused look.

“Hey kid,” Jonghyun called out to the boy and knelt so he was eye level, “What’s your name?”

“Jongup,” he sniffed once more, blinking his eyes rapidly so it didn’t look like he was completely devastated with the outcome.

“Well Jongup, how would you like a new bike?”

The kid’s eyes widened as Jonghyun held out his ticket. He slowly took it from his hands, eyes beaming with happiness as he looked back at his smiling mother in approval. She nodded and a grin spread across the Jongup’s face.

“Who has the lucky number 54180?”

“I do!” Jongup yelled, shoving his own ticket in Jonghyun’s hands as he ran up to claim his prize.

Key laughed and patted his shoulder when he sat back down, “That was awfully nice of you.”

“Well in any other case a bike would have been nice, but since the prize was aimed for children I felt it was only right.”

“Save it. You just can’t carry it in the car, that’s why you gave it away.”

“Yah, I’m not completely heartless… I also could have sold it.”

“My mistake, you’re a role model to all.”

“That was very kind of you,” the new voice caused the two boys to turn. It was the mother of the child, who was currently riding around on the Hound he had won, “Really, I’ve been saving for a new bike for him but they’re just too expensive.”

“It’s no problem,” Jonghyun shook his head and smiled, “He looked like he really wanted it. Who am I to deny a child a bike?”

“Still, you didn’t have to and you did.”

“Yeah, it’s because he’s a good hyung,” Key joined in, patting his thigh assuringly.

“What’s your name young man?”

“Kim Jonghyun. This is my friend Kibum.”

She smiled again, and bowed slightly, “Well Jonghyun, this is a kindness I most certainly won’t forget.”

“You don’t have to-”

“And now for our grand prize! A two week cruise to Japan! I know you’re all dying tio see if you won, so we’ll just go ahead and announce the winner!” The MC made a big show of reaching into the clear box and pulling out the lucky ticket. The crowd of young teenagers and children cheered wildly as she waved it up for all to see. She teased the audience by reading off the numbers one by one and with long pauses between them, “6….3….8…2…6! Lucky ticket 63826!”

“Jong, that’s you,” Key pointed out quickly, eyes wide as he read the numbers off his ticket.

“What!?” The brunette glanced down and sure enough, the numbers ‘63826’ were bolded at the top of the red slip, “Holy crap we won!”

“Wow, what luck,” they nearly forgot about the woman there and jumped when she laughed at their excitement, “Congratulations!”

“W-wait,” Jonghyun stammered, remembering the little boy’s trade, “This is your ticket though-”

“Oh keep it. I’m far too old to go on one and he’s far too young to be confined in a ship at sea. Besides that bike will occupy him for a while. I’m sure you and your friend will have fun.”

“Wow, I don’t… Thank you very much.”

“No, thank you,” The older woman patted his shoulder and called for Jongup to get ready to leave. Jonghyun gaped at the retreating figure as the host for the raffle called for the winner to reveal themselves. Key rolled his eyes and tugged his elbow, pulling him up to the smaller stage.

The host smiled when they presented the ticket and Han Sung’s eyes lit up. She smiled and held out their prize, “Here you go! I hope you have a wonderful time.”

“Thank you,” Key smiled back and took the tickets. The MC gave a short speech of encouragement and wished the remaining contenders luck in the next raffle. Jonghyun was a still a little dumb struck and had to read the tickets over a few times to confirm that he indeed won a cruise trip to Japan.

“Is this real life?” he asked to no one in particular, to which Key laughed.

Or is this fantasy~” the blond finished quietly, pulling Jonghyun back to the car, “When’s the date for the cruise?”

“Not for a few months from now. I bet they decided to buy these in advance for the sake of planning.”

“Huh, I guess our ‘road trip’ is gonna expand past the country.”

“Key!” he suddenly yelled, making said person jump, “We’re going to Japan!”

“I know.”

“That’s awesome!” He laughed, pulling the boy into a strong hug, “God I can’t believe it! Was this the work of karma!? , I can’t… We have to tell the boys. This never happens!”

“Jonghyun, in case you didn’t notice, a lot of the things that have happened on this trip never happens to normal people,” Key pointed out, remembering their hitchhiking idol and celebrity mix-up. Still, the elder’s smile made it hard for him to suppress his own and he ended up giving in, “God this is so ridiculous.”

“This is so us,” Jonghyun countered and kept his arm slung around Key’s shoulder, “Come on. We need to celebrate! What do you think our chances are with the lottery today?”

“I highly doubt we’re that lucky.”

“Kibummie~”

“Let’s just get udon. I’m freezing.”

“Of course,” Jonghyun nodded with a toothy grin, “My treat.”

 


There is no excuse for ne not to have updated. I was stuck with massive writers block. wow guys, i'm already at 34k words here and they're still not together! We'll have to fix that XD Thanks for sticking around, and welcome new readers! Enjoy~ (Aslo i did reread this to correct mistakes but if there is any then forgive me)

tumblr_mce4dfX3tJ1qihji8o1_r1_250.gif    tumblr_mce4dfX3tJ1qihji8o2_r1_250.gif

Gif credit. Note: this is not my tumblr. if you really want to know just ask but im not one to self promote :| i hope this doesnt count as promoting.