Chapter 29

I Just Don't Know Anymore

{ Eunjin POV }

 

10:00AM Tuesday, 15th of October

 

“How could you not have told me before? Seriously, I can’t believe you’re getting married before I am!” Minyoung screamed at me through the front door. It was only ten in the morning but she had found out somehow and rushed over here. Minhyuk must have told people about our…upcoming marriage. It still seemed fake dream-no nightmare-like, that he would do such a thing. Most women are happy and joyful about the prospect of marriage, but I’m not. It’s basically signing a contract to my imprisonment! And now my friends and family were fooled into thinking it was some glorious occasion that would be happening in only a week’s time.

 

“I’m sorry, I wanted it to be a surprise.” I lied as I opened the door and let Minyoung in. Minhyuk had stolen the spare key I hid in my old running shoe and kept the home phone disconnected; only his mobile worked as mine was still broken.

“I tried calling you, like a thousand times but the call wouldn’t connect. And why does Minhyuk tell me only a week and a half before the big day?” Minhyuk called everyone, Minyoung, Sungjae, my parents and they guys. His parents wouldn’t want to see him anyway, they left the country after Minhyuk’s...event.

“It was kind of a spur of the moment thing.” I sat glumly on the lounge and picked at my fingernails. The last two weeks had been absolute hell. Minhyuk didn’t show his face unless his friends were over or he was hungry. His face was bruised black and blue so I hate to think what the rest of him looked like. Being locked up in that apartment with Big Brother watching you everyday and night was beginning to drive me stir crazy. But the worst part was that he’d forged my signature onto a legal document and went straight into planning.

 

I had always imagined myself looking through endless magazines, trying on dresses and discussing colour schemes with my fiancée, not having him book a small convention room and inviting everyone in his phonebook. I had thought about Eunkwang often. No, more like every second; it worried me sick to think of him not being found or dying of the beating. I felt hatred towards Minhyuk but most of all I was scared, scared of what would happen after we were married. I certainly didn’t want to bring a child into marriage such as this. I’d racked my brains for ideas on how to escape this hellhole but they all ended the same; Minhyuk finding me.

“So what kind of dress are you wearing? Please tell me you’ve got a dress! And what kind of flowers…” Minyoung’s voice faded as I detached myself from the conversation. Maybe if I tried hard enough I could pass the rest of my life in a daze.

 

 

{ Minhyuk POV }

 

9:47PM Monday 22nd of October

 

“So you finally popped the question. It’s about damn time.” Ilhoon said while grabbing a handful of popcorn. The guys were over for my “bachelor party” which was literally us playing video games all night. My bruises had been explained as tripping down the stairs which they all bought straight away. Sometimes I wondered if they didn’t want to be nosy or if they were just that gullible. I sat silently, going over the recent events. I, nor anyone else, had seen or heard from Eunkwang in the time he’d…incapacitated. God knows where he is now, but I hoped he would be out of our lives forever. But still I felt a twinge in my heart that something wasn’t right.

 

“Is Eunkwang coming tomorrow?” Hyunsik asked while mashing the buttons on the game controller.

“I sent him an invite.” I finished the conversation before it could begin. To think, tomorrow I’d be married. I’d always been told not to marry out of convenience because it never ended well, but this had to be done. One day when everything had settled down, Eunjin and I could have a proper ceremony like she would have wanted. Am I selfish? Does forcing Eunjin into this make me a bad person? I pushed aside the negative thoughts and picked up a controller and joined the game. I had to think positively; if you think bad things will happen, they will.

 

 

{ Eunkwang POV }

 

1:00PM Monday 22nd of October

 

My crutches clicked softly on the concrete stairs as I slowly made my way up them to the right floor. Two weeks aren’t exactly enough to fully heal from a beating. I was discharged from the hospital four days ago with a pair of crutches and a hell of a lot of bandages. I worried day and night about Eunjin and what Minhyuk could possibly do to her; the scenarios never ended well. I tried calling Eunjin constantly but it wouldn’t work so I would have to take a leap.

 

I knocked on the door and waited for someone to answer.

“Eunkwang? What the hell happened to you?!” Minyoung screeched as she stood dumbstruck at the door. I smiled sheepishly and made up a lie that I’d slipped at work. She seemed to believe it and asked me why I was here.

“Shouldn’t you be with Minhyuk? I would’ve thought you’d be the best man.” She said with a puzzled look on her face.

“Best man? What are talking about?” Why would Minhyuk need a best man? You only have those at weddings…

“Did you hit your head in the kitchen or something? Minhyuk and Eunjin are getting married! How could you not have known?” Minyoung laughed at me like I was some naïve child.

“Where is it?”

“At the small convention centre next to that Chinese restaurant. Didn’t you get an invitation? I’ll write the details down for you…” Minyoung pulled out a notepad from the small table next to the door and scribbled on it.

 

My eye twitched and I felt my still sore fingers crack and flex into a fist. That sick bastard actually had the nerve to marry her?! She was doomed, literally, she’d have to spend the rest of her life under him.

“Hey, are you okay?” Minyoung asked curiously while handing me the paper, snapping me out of my growing anger.

“Yeah, I-I’ve gotta go…” I half ran half waddled down the steps and back into my car, revving the engine and speeding towards my apartment. This had to be stopped, I wouldn’t allow this to happen!

 

 

{ Eunjin POV }

 

8:45AM Tuesday 23rd of October

 

Minyoung twisted my hair this way and that while my mother applied my mascara. Today was the big day; I’d be marrying Minhyuk. I didn’t sleep a wink last night as I was too busy crying over my fate. I had stayed locked up in the apartment while Minhyuk and his friends went to Ilhoon’s house for his bachelor party. Minyoung had stayed the night with me and Mum had come at six in the morning. Immediately the two went to my hair and face, spraying and powdering until it was perfect. I had no say in my dress so I had no idea what it even looked like, but I was sure it would be like a straight jacket.

 

“Oh, my daughter is finally getting married. My baby is growing up.” My mother sniffed and wiped her eyes on a tissue as she pulled a pair of black shoes out of a box.

“Mum, please don’t cry, you’ll make me cry.” It was true, if I saw another tear I’d breakdown. She just shook her head and went into the bedroom to retrieve a zipped up garment bag. She laid it on the lounge and Minyoung and I gathered around it. Pulling down the zipper, a strip of black satin could be seen. Black? Weren’t wedding dresses white?

“What the…” Minyoung wondered aloud as Mum pulled the bag off the coat hanger and revealed a black satin dress that was shorter at the front than back. A short tulle train hung down the back of the dress and a sash tied around the waist. It was beautiful but it wasn’t right. It looked like an overly extravagant funeral dress; but that’s what this day was. A funeral not a wedding.

“So, uh, it’s pretty.” Minyoung said while checking out the black shoes that came from the box. They, also, were beautiful but all wrong. Black four inch heels with gems were not suitable wedding attire.

“Well, time to get changed!” My mother said while ushering me into the bedroom with the dress draped across her arm. And so begins the end.

 

 

9:55AM Tuesday 23rd of October

 

Five more minutes. Five minutes until I would be saying “I do”. As I stood in front of the wooden doors I reflected upon the last four years of my life. It started well but soon spiralled into chaos. If only I had someone to lean on; Dad had a bad cold so I told him to sit down. He insisted that he walk me down the aisle but I refused. But one man kept coming into my mind. How I wish I could simply see him and hear his voice, but who knows where he is now.

 

The doors opened and the sound of clapping floated out. I took a hesitant step forward before taking a few more careful steps into the room. The walls were a pale maroon colour with large white grouted windows dotting the walls. A few wooden benches were lined up on either side of the aisle and garlands hung from the ends and from the lectern positioned at the front of the room. Familiar faces of friends and family smiled at me as I made my way to the front. I felt raw and exposed under their gazes and clutched tightly at the bouquet of red roses in my hands. Minhyuk stood at the end of the aisle in a smart black suit and tie, a smile plastered on his face. I may have imagined it but I swear I saw the corners of his mouth twitch, like he was trying too hard to keep his smile from faltering.

 

Minyoung smiled widely sat me from the front row and my parents clapped proudly. Time seemed to slow as I took hesitant steps down the aisle. Why don’t I just run away? I can’t because Minhyuk would find me. I had no choice so I would just have to hold my breath and endure it. If that was possible. I kept my eyes on the floor and felt hot tears rise to the surface, threatening to spill over. The clapping had grown distant and Minhyuk’s smile darkened a little. Looking around, everyone had frozen with expressions of happiness on their faces. A loud banging sound made me whirl around and meet eyes with what should have been a dead man’s.

 

Eunkwang stood at the door with wide eyes as he took in the whole scene. I opened my mouth to say something but nothing came out. His face was bruised and he had a limp with a permanent expression of pain etched into his face. He stepped forward and surveyed the scene around us before walking down the aisle towards me. Eunkwang placed his hands on my shoulders and looked me straight in the eyes. My tears grew to be too much and spilled over, dropping to the floor and the satin of my dress. I dropped the bouquet in my hands and reached a hand up to touch his face but a new hand stopped me.

 

Minhyuk grabbed my hand and looked at me painfully. His eyes almost sorrowful. He didn’t look angry at all, just heartbroken. No one said anything as the three of us stood in our own little world. Eunkwang tensed up but Minhyuk did nothing but plea with his eyes. In an instant all the bad things vanished and I saw the same Minhyuk I’d fallen in love with in high school. When I met him he wasn’t innocent but he wasn’t a villain; just a normal teenage boy who’d had his heart broken in two. My tears still fell as I lightly grasped Minhyuk’s hand. I could never forgive him for what he’s done, but…I just couldn’t hate him so much I wished death on him. He slowly let go of my hand which fell back to my side. Eunkwang stepped back and looked at Minhyuk pitifully. A silent agreement had been made.

 

“I’m sorry.” I whispered to Minhyuk as I placed a soft kiss on his cheek. We weren’t meant to be. He finally understood that. I felt horrible for doing this to him; I’d cheated and lied and I could never be forgiven for it. Minhyuk touched my cheek before dropping his hand and sighing softly.

“I love you.” He said.

“I loved you too.” My voice cracked and I wiped away the tears that kept falling. Eunkwang had walked forward and grabbed my hand, gently tugging me out of the room. As we exited the doors I looked back at Minhyuk over my shoulder and sent him a silent message. I apologised and said I loved him, thanked him for everything good he’d done and wished him well. I would rather be out of his life; he didn’t deserve anymore pain.


Hello! Please don't kill me! I hope this chapter wasn't bad or irritating. To be honest, I had this planned since the beginning and I wasn't going to change it. Sorry! So, there will only be another three or four chapters left before I finish it up. Now let me clear this up. MINHYUK WILL BE HAPPY IN THE END! Okay, so be patient cause you won't be waiting for much longer. Right, that's done now. Anyway, I hope you enjoyed this chapter!

Comments and subscriptions are much appreciated.