Chapter 12

I Just Don't Know Anymore

{ Eunjin POV }

 

“Beat up is an understatement. The guy had to be taken to hospital and Minhyuk would have probably gone to prison if the judge didn’t send him to a rehabilitation program.” Changsub’s words echoed in my head as I sprinted down the footpath back home. ‘Minhyuk had beaten a guy?!’ I was still having a hard time trying to sort through the insight I had been given into Minhyuk’s past. So, is this the real reason why he treats me like this? Had that event affected him in such a way that he would never be the same? So, why had he only started to act that way a year or so after we had started dating? The endless possibilities were far too pressuring so I stopped by a small ice cream stand and ordered a plain vanilla. Maybe something sweet would distract me.

 

I took a seat on a bench that stood against a cluster of trees and ate in silence. It was calm and quiet for midday and the occasional pigeon fluttering by was the only loud sound to be heard. It was nice to escape from the city even if only for a little while; being cooped up in an apartment for the majority of the day gets old quickly. I finished my ice cream and started down the footpath again, feeling more relaxed than before. Soon I was pushing the button in the elevator for my floor and the monotonous music made me feel tired. The doors opened to reveal a person leaning against the door to my apartment. As I stepped closer I breathed a sigh of relief when I recognized the person.

 

“Eunkwang, what are you doing here?” I asked lightly while fishing in my handbag for my keys.

“Where were you?” He asked curiously while I opened the door.

“Oh, I went out with Minyoung.” Thank god he knows that I sneak out, otherwise I’d be in deep trouble. I let him in and threw my stuff in my bedroom. Eunkwang was here and I had to know if Haesun was the reason why Minhyuk was so possessive over me. I turned to him and saw he was watching me carefully, like he knew something about me that not even I knew.

“Eunkwang. Is Haesun the reason why Minhyuk treats me like this?” I asked seriously. I wouldn’t play any more games, I had to know before I really went insane. Eunkwang stood up straight and seemed to be taken aback by the question but I kept my ground.

“How do you know about her?” He asked automatically. He knew and I would get him to tell me.

“Just answer the question.” My voice had risen and I felt my fists clench. I was so close to the truth that I would probably die if I didn’t get it now.

“The others told you about her, didn’t they? I guess Haesun is the reason why Minhyuk is like that.” Eunkwang sighed and looked saddened. I felt a sharp pang in my chest at his expression, I didn’t want to see him like that.

“We thought that when he started dating you he had gotten over Haesun, but obviously he was too affected by it.” I sank to the floor and buried my face in my hands as I began to cry from frustration.

“What do I do?” I muffled into my hands. I felt hands on my shoulders and looked up to see Eunkwang kneeling in front me, his face dangerously close to mine.

“I’ll take you away. You can leave him and never see him again.” He sounded hopeful but both he and I knew it was impossible.

“You can’t, he’d find out and then you’d end up like that guy-” My voice choked up and a new stream of tears fell at the thought of Eunkwang being sent to hospital just because he was trying to protect me. Eunkwang was far too important; he was like my guardian angel now. No matter how much I wanted to escape I would be stuck here forever, and trust me I’ve tried to run away plenty of times. Right then, I didn’t care about Minhyuk and just cried in Eunkwang’s arms until I couldn’t cry anymore.

 

 

-3 Days Later-

 

I was doing the laundry when I heard my phone ringing. I dropped the laundry basket and dashed to the kitchen where my phone vibrated on the bench top. The ID was unfamiliar but I answered it anyway.

“Eunjin? It’s Sungjae.” Sungjae’s cheery voice sounded through the receiver. He must be calling from one of the pay phones in the dorm, which was weird as he could have just called me on his mobile.

“Sungjae, what’s up?” My mood instantly brightened as I hadn’t even spoken to Sungjae in at least a week and a half.

“I haven’t seen you since my birthday, so I wondered if you want to go out to dinner with Mum and Dad tonight.” I hadn’t seen our parents in quite a while, about a year I think, since they lived in Incheon and Sungjae and I are in Seoul. I would be stupid to pass up this chance, but Minhyuk would have to come too.

“Is it alright if Minhyuk comes? I’m sure Mum wants to catch up with him.” Mum had loved Minhyuk since the moment he walked through their door four years ago.

“I guess so, it’s at that restaurant next to the arcade. So we’ll see you at six?”

“Yeah, Minhyuk and I’ll be there.” I hung up and skipped back into the small laundry room, continuing with the boring chore but with a smile at the thought of seeing my parents again.

 

Minhyuk got home from work at about five so we only had about forty five minutes to get ready, and I take forever trying to find something nice to wear. When I told Minhyuk he just mumbled an ‘okay’ and went to shower. I went through about four dresses before settling on a light blue one with a denim vest. Minhyuk came out of the bathroom in a pair of jeans and a black blazer. Others would think it looks stupid but he could pull off just about anything. The streetlights were flickering to life as we stepped into his car. I felt very different around Minhyuk now; it was neither fear nor contempt, just confusion. But I wouldn’t let that ruin tonight and anyway I had to put on a brave face when I went in public with him.

 

The restaurant was a smart casual affair so we didn’t have to be too formal. The waiting area was packed with at least three families and five couples waiting to be seated. I scanned the area for any sign of Sungjae or my parents but they were no where to be seen.

“Did Sungjae say where he would meet us?” Minhyuk had leaned over and was talking in my ear as the noise from the crowd was reaching headache level.

“No, but I’m sure they’re here somewhere.” I said quietly doubting that he even heard me. I had to keep my composure otherwise Mum and Dad might find something suspicious.

“Eunjin! Minhyuk hyung!” A voice sounded from over the crowd. We both turned and saw Sungjae holding the door open for our parents. I ran over and hugged both of my parents tightly.

“It’s been a while, princess.” My Dad said while patting my hair. I gave him a light whack on the stomach at the nickname he had given me when I was ten years old; if there was one thing I hated the most it would be being called princess.

“Don’t call me that!” I crossed my arms and glared at him but everyone just laughed instead. Minhyuk had put on a small smile and was shaking hands with my Dad. My parents thought that we were a perfect match and Mum never failed to bring up the subject of marriage when Minhyuk was around.

 

Soon we were seated at a table against the window which showed a panorama view of the city.

“So, how have you two been? I hear you’re living together now.” Mum said casually while taking a sip of wine. Oh god, here comes the interrogation.

“Yes, we rent an apartment.” Minhyuk replied while looking through the menu. It awed me how his demeanor could do a total one-eighty and make it look so convincing.

“Oh, that’s okay. So, thought about marriage yet?” Boom. There it was. A spluttering sound came from the other end of the table and I looked to see Sungjae and Dad choking on their drinks from holding back laughter. I knew this conversation would come up so I had a response ready, but Minhyuk beat me to it.

“It’s certainly a thought, but I think it will happen when it does.” Minhyuk replied so lightly even I began to believe it. But, is it what I wanted? I mean I didn’t even know if I still loved Minhyuk! Sungjae and Dad had finally broke and were laughing loudly, obviously enjoying my misery. I just placed my face in my hands and tried to read the menu.

“How are we tonight?” Everyone looked up from what they were doing and turned to see the waiter standing at the edge of the table with a notepad in hand. But, I had seen this waiter before.

“Hyunsik?! You work here?” I exclaimed loudly in slight disbelief. ‘But Hyunsik is so shy, why would he work as a waiter?’ Hyunsik wore a smart black vest over a white button up shirt, plus he had his hair neatly combed which made him look like a completely different person.

“Eunjin? Minhyuk? Mr. and Mrs. Yook?” Hyunsik looked just as confused as us but soon grew a large smile as Mum got up to give him a hug. Next to Minhyuk, the guys were always welcome at our place. After some catching up and eventually taking our orders, Hyunsik hurried back to the kitchen.

 

The night went by slowly but I sort of forgot about everything that had been happening lately, glad to be in the company of my family again. The restaurant had begun emptying and soon there was only three tables full besides ours and the staff had settled down for the night. Hyunsik had joined us at our table and he soon became involved in a conversation with my parents. I looked at my watch and saw it was quarter to ten and I was sure Mum didn’t want to be out for too much longer.

“Mum, what time are you leaving tomorrow?”

“About eight thirty, why?” She asked absently while sending a text to one of her friends.

“Well, it’s quarter to ten now so shouldn’t you go back to the hotel and get some rest?”

“Oh god, is it that late already? Donghwa, pay the bill and let’s head off.” Mum grabbed her handbag and pulled Dad up from the chair before pushing him to the front counter. Dad paid quickly and we were soon standing outside the restaurant bidding each other goodbye. I waved at their car and headed towards Sungjae’s dorm as we had to drop him off.

“Thanks for coming out, noona.” Sungjae gave me a hug and high fived Minhyuk before running back to his dorm. The rest of the ride home was quiet and I soon felt tired and fell asleep in the car. It had been tiring trying to look like I was happy when really I was breaking to pieces.


Sup everyone! I hope this isn't moving too slow for you.

Comments and subscriptions re much appreciated.

P.S If you could check out my new fic Boyfriend in...Wonderland?, it would mean a lot to me. Thanks a bunch!
http://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/233665/boyfriend-in-wonderland-adventure-fantasy-multishot-boyfriendband