Chapter 9

Taking Back What I Said

As we were sitting in the car I was thinking about how to start this conversation with Hyukkie.

“Hey Hyukkie. You remember the good old days back in middle school?” was what I ended up going with. Okay, that was lame.

“Haha. Yeah, I miss middle school. Everything was so easy going back then,” he replied.

I didn’t know any other way to say it so I ended up bluntly saying, “Do you remember the last day of middle school?”

I saw him tense up at my question but he quickly relaxed and said, “Yeah... What about it?”

“Well I mean.. I j-just wanted t-to know...” I tried asking him but it was much harder than I thought.

“Yeah Hae... What is it?” he asked, trying to get me to answer.

“..... Doyoustillfeelthesameway?” I asked all in one breath. I was so nervous waiting for his answer which felt like it took forever but it was probably only 10 seconds. I hoped he couldn’t hear my heart pounding in my chest because I was sure it was really loud due to my nervousness. Actually I was surprised that he even understood me.

“Well Hae.. I mean I like you a lot. But that’s because you are my best friend. I can’t really tell if it goes further than that anymore,” he explained.

And there it was. Even though I tried to take back what I said two years ago, there was nothing I could do now. Honestly, I didn’t have any regrets. I asked him straight out and he rejected me but there wasn’t much I could do beyond that.

I was sidetracked from my thoughts though when Hyukkie asked, “Why do you ask? Do you have feelings for me now?”

Oh ! What was I supposed to tell him now that he rejected me? Well, I guess the only thing I could do was tell him the truth.

“Well... yeah... BUT! If the feelings aren’t mutual, then like I said before, I want us to still be best friends!” I tried to tell him.

“I completely agree,” he said to me with that gummy smile of his.

------------------------

A/N: Okay so it's another short chapter TT^TT Hehe not sure if any of you were expecting this but I promise it won't end like this. I like happy endings ^-^

I do kind of feel like a fail author though because a lot of you seem to be suspicious of them staying friends after the awkward failed confession(s). I guess it isn't very common according to what everyone is telling me but this actually happened to me and one of my best friends. We are totally cool now though so I guess to me it seemed to be pretty realistic.... I'm sorry for making it seem unrealistic~ I didn't mean to T^T

@brattygurl: So Hae is actually one of my favorite characters because Donghae is my bias IRL... So I would never really make her a bad character. She would never do anything to play or mess with Hyukkie's feelings. At least intentionally...