Chapter 5

Taking Back What I Said

“So Hae,” he started as I stared blankly at him. “Does it really bother you that much that I didn’t tell you who I like?”

I only nodded my head in response, still not sure if I actually want to talk to him yet. His response was simply a small sigh and a look of defeat on his face. “Will you promise to keep what I’m about to tell you a secret?”

That feeling of disappointment is starting to come back again. I still can’t believe that Hyukkie didn’t trust me but he looked really troubled this time so I let the feeling pass and reassured him once again, that he can trust me.

It took a minute or two for Hyukkie to start talking again.

“W-well Hae... The thing is... the person I like is... you,” he said a little nervously.

“Haha! Hyukkie I know you like me. I like you too~ We’ve only been best friends forever!” I laughed as I saw he was trying to throw me off again.

My laughter soon died down though when I realized that Hyukkie wasn’t laughing with me. Instead he was staring blankly at me with a sad look in his eyes.

That’s when I realized that he was completely serious. This was one of the last things I would have thought of though maybe not completely shocking. Jae’s best friend (other than me) used to be Yunho but now they are going out with each other. I just never would have thought this would happen to me and Hyukkie because I never thought of him as more than a friend.

Suddenly I saw Hyukkie and he looked like he was about to tear up. I have to hurry up and say something back but I can’t think of anything to say!

Before I could think of anything he beat me to it. “I’m sorry Hae... I understand if you never want to talk to me again,” he said as he ran out of the gym.

I was dumbstruck. Why would I not want to talk to him anymore? Now I have to go fix this. I knew exactly where Hyukkie went which only helped prove how strong our friendship is.

Just like I predicted, I found him sitting in the school garden. He isn’t crying but I could tell by his red and puffy eyes that he was earlier.

“Hyukkie,” I said trying to get his attention. But he wouldn’t even look at me.

“Hyukkie, please look at me. I want to talk to you,” I tried again to get his attention and this time I succeeded.

The sadness in his eyes is something I will never forget for the rest of my life. It breaks my heart seeing Hyukkie like this and knowing that I might put even more sadness into those eyes.

“Hyukkie, there is nothing in the world you could do that would make me ‘never want to talk to you again’. But... I don’t really know any other way to say this... I can only see you as a friend. My
best friend but nothing more than that,” I tried explaining. Seeing the disappointment on his face, I almost broke down in tears.

“But, “ I quickly tried to add. “I really don’t want to see anything change between us. Can you promise me that nothing will change??”

Hyukkie still looks sad but there is a forced smile on his face and his pinky in the air. I immediately took his pinky and intertwined it with mine.

The rest of the day passed without any other major incidents and was overall a good day.

End Flashback

------------------------------

A/N: Okay so that might not have been what you guys were expecting but the story will pick up.... eventually x3