Chapter 22

Taking Back What I Said

 

The next day I was woken up by my mom telling me that I had to go to church with them. I don't really have a problem with going to church it's just that I was really tired from yesterday.

I didn't really have a choice though so I dragged myself out of my bed. Despite being in my groggy state, a smile still found its way to my face when I saw my new phone charm.

After quickly getting ready my whole family made our way to church, but not without stopping for coffee first. My entire family are like coffee addicts. The people who work at the Starbucks near my house know each of us and what our usual order is.

Before I knew it we were already at the church. The first thing I noticed was how cold it was. Since it was barely autumn I wasn't very well dressed for the cold room either. And my loving oppa didn't even offer me his sweater, saying that he was cold too.

So I had to sit through the sermon hugging myself to keep warm. To make matters worse, after the sermon, my parents started talking to some friends meaning we would have to stay in this ice box.

Adults talk about the weirdest things and it's always so repetitive. There was a lot of 'Oh your kids are so grown up now!' and 'It's been too long. We should catch up over lunch.' I don't even know where any of this comes from. It's only been a few weeks since we have seen any of them.

My mind quickly started to focus on more important things, like how cold this room is! I found myself hugging myself again, waiting patiently for my parents to stop talking.

Suddenly I felt a jacket slip over my shoulders and turned around to see none other than Hyukkie.

"Oh my gosh! Am I relieved to see you. I wasn't sure if I was going to freeze to death first or die of boredom," I said to him.

"I'm glad to see you too," he replied and leaned in to give me a peck on the lips. Our kisses are short and sweet but they never fail to put butterflies in my stomach.

"So are you going to be my knight in shining armor and rescue me from my boredom?" I asked.

"Of course," he said smiling. "What else are boyfriends for?"

I laughed at his sarcasm and wondered how he was going to help me escape from my parents.

It was surprisingly a lot easier than I thought. Hyukkie walked up to my mom and said, "Auntie, my family is going on a picnic today and we wanted to invite Donghwa and Donghae. This way you and Uncle can go on a little lunch date too."

My mom looked like she was thinking about it for a little bit but then a smile quickly found its way to her face and she replied, "That sounds like a great idea! I will go tell my husband." And with that she walked off.

My parents always surprise me. Before I could finish registering what just happened, I realized that Hyukkie was pulling me towards Donghwa.

"Come on hyung. We are going on a picnic," Hyukkie told Donghwa.

"Ooh sweet. Is Sora going to be there? I don't want to be stuck as the third wheel," oppa replied.

"Yup. Come on, they are probably already at the lake," Hyukkie replied.

--------------

When I stepped out of the car the scenery was breath-taking. The leaves on the trees were starting to change color and the grass was a lovely green color. The sun reflected off the lake beautifully and not far away I saw Hyukkie's family.

Sora unnie was reading a book under a tree and Hyukkie's parents looked like they were having a very peaceful conversation.

Donghwa oppa went to greet unnie and Hyukkie and I went to greet his parents.

"Hi Auntie and Uncle. Thanks for inviting me and oppa. We really appreciate it," I said for both of us.

"Oh it's not a problem sweetie. The more the merrier," Hyukkie's mom replied with a bright smile that almost rivaled that of her son's. It was only obvious where he got it from.

There was still some time before lunch so Hyukkie and I went for a walk along the lake.

"This is so nice," I said, "and the weather is just perfect."

"I'm glad you like it. My family comes here every once in a while so I'm glad you were able to join us," he replied.

As we were walking, we ran into a man selling some shaved ice. This sounded like the perfect snack since the sun was still high in the sky. Despite some slight hesitation due to the fact that we were about to eat lunch with Hyukkie's family, we still bought one for the two of us to share.

We both gobbled down the blue raspberry shaved ice before we very got close to the rest of his family. As we approached them I saw a slight smirk appear on his mother's face but I wasn't quite sure why.

"Hyukjae, why did you eat food before lunch?" she asked.

"But we didn't mom. We were just walking around,"Hyukkie said as he tried to feign innocence.

"You two have blue all over your mouths," Sora unnie said as she walked up to us with Donghwa oppa.

Hyukkie's eyes got really wide as he realized how stupid he had been for a minute. I simply laughed it off and said, "Sorry Auntie. The shaved ice just looked too good to resist."

"Hahaha. It's okay. I understand. It's just fun to tease Hyukjae," she said while laughing.

Hyukkie pouted a little which made me smile at how cute he was acting. Although it was slightly embarrassing in front of his family and my oppa, I found myself kissing his adorable lips that were sticking out.

He seemed surprised at first too but then he smiled and turned to everyone else. "Okay let's eat! I'm hungry."

Sora unnie just looked at him and rolled her eyes. "How can you be hungry when you just had shaved ice?"

"Oh trust me. Boys are always hungry," I told her.

"And the shaved ice doesn't fill you up very well," Hyukkie added in.

Sora unnie simply rolled her eyes again and began to dig into the sandwich her mother had handed her.

Hyukkie's mom handed me my sandwich and I began to eat as well. It was really good despite being a simple sandwich.

"Auntie this is really yummy. I wouldn't mind eating your cooking every day," I told her.

"I'm glad you like it. You used to eat the same thing when you were little," she said.

Soon everyone finished their meals and we began to pack everything up.

"Thank you again for inviting us and for the yummy food," I thanked them once again.

"Not a problem. It was fun. Next time we should invite your parents too," Hyukkie's dad said.

"I'm sure they would like that," I replied as I climbed back into Hyukkie's car waving.

Donghwa oppa went back with Sora unnie so I had the rest of the day alone with Hyukkie.

As we were driving home though, I soon drifted off into sleep after waking up early and going through the exhausting events that took place earlier today.

----------------------------------------

A/N: First off, thank you to those who gave their opinion on what I should do. It really helped since I had two ideas in my mind that I couldn't pick from.

And also sorry for taking such a long break from this story. I didn't mean to but then I had writer's block and got stuck when I didn't know which way to go with the story. But I'm finally back and I hope this longer chapter will help make up for my absence.

Lastly sorry for all the references to summer things. Since it is summer now and I'm experiencing some major heat where I live it's kind of hard for me not to write about it. Like the shaved ice came from some that I ate today at the Obon festival. (For those who don't know, it's a Japanese festival to honor the dead). But two areas around my house held the festival over the past two weeks and the heat was unbearable. 

Okay this is my longest A/N. Thanks to anyone who actually read this far. I will try to start updating more again~