Giving Up

Can't Help Falling In Love With You

 

Key POV

Next morning, Juliet contacts me first so we could meet. I wonder what does she wants to talk about. Her voice over the phone sounds so cold and serious. Thinking of something bad will happen, it sends shiver down my spine. I rush right over to Juliet place. I ring the door bell to her officetel. The person who always opens the door is no other than Diana. This is the second time I’ve seen Diana but I never notice how strong the resemblances that she and Juliet shares. I’m stunned. For a few second there, I thought that person standing before me is Juliet.

Are you here for Juliet?” Diana snaps me back to reality

Oh, yes. Annyeonghaseyo.” I bow to her

Come in, Key sshi. Juliet is still getting ready.

I settle down to a couch behind the counter top and sit quietly. I observe everything in Juliet’s officetel, and then my eyes rest on the sight of Diana. Diana is about the height of Juliet but slimmer. She’s not as feminine as Juliet though, but there’s something about her that caught my eyes. Diana brings out a cup of water and offers it to me. Diana takes a seat facing me while I accept the cup of water.

How does Juliet know you?” Diana tilts her head

I know her through my hyung, Onew.

Aah, Onew, that’s how.” Diana exclaims, she turns her head when she hears Juliet’s footsteps. “For what it’s worth though, I’m a fan of yours. You should come here more often.

Sure.” I give her a smile as she leaving the room.

Hi Juliet.” I smile at her, she gives me a bow but no smile at all. She sits down next to me but not too close. She does whatever it takes to avoid eyes contact with me. I feel like something is not right so I look at her with my worried eyes.

Could we not pretend anymore?” Juliet asks, her voice breaks the silent.

Pretend?

Stop pretending like we have feelings for each other. I’m tired of it, I can’t do it anymore.” Her eyes are still elsewhere. I am stunned by the words she just said, it hits me so hard like I just got struck by lightning.

I want to tell you this ever since that day, but you never give me a chance to. Now, KiBum sshi, I will tell you how I feel.

Do you mean that you like Onew hyung, but not me?

Juliet doesn’t reply. It’s a yes, her silence says everything. Suddenly I feel my heart tightens, I almost let out a whimper because of how much my heart hurt.

What’s so good about him? He doesn’t even care about you, why do you keep hanging on to him?” I try to keep myself calm but right now my eyes are soaked with tears.

I’m sorry.

Do you know when a man is most pathetic? When he can’t get the woman he loves.” I pause a little to look at Juliet. Her face shows no emotions.

So if I can’t have you, nobody can.” I finish the sentence and storm out the door. I want to get as far away from Juliet as possible right now. I feel so weak, I want to bawl my eyes out. She has no idea how much feeling I have for her. On my way out, I see Diana hides behind the kitchen column and looking at me. Only her head is visible, seems like she’s been listening to the whole conversation that I had with Juliet.

I find myself wander around Seoul. Ignore the stares of many people and fangirls, I walk like a dead man that knows nothing but the woman I love. I stop at a bar by myself to drink away my sadness. MinHo calls me on my phone many times, but I refuse to pick up. Finally I just turn off my phone in order to be alone. No one could erase this pain from my heart, only Juliet could.

--------------------------------------------

My head feels like it’s going to explode into pieces because I had too much drink last night, I never felt worse. Sitting out on the porch in the back yard, I just stare into air. The light breeze of summer blows by makes me feel relax a little but then a tense feeling from yesterday hits me. I don’t want to give it much thought, but my minds can’t seem to let it go. My thoughts suddenly vanished when Onew hyung steps out with a cup of steaming coffee in his hand. He settles down next to me and sips on his drink. For a moment there, neither of us said a thing. I keep staring elsewhere but my eyes never stay fixed on anything. After awhile, Onew says

I’m not giving her up anymore.

What did he just say? Do my ears deceiving me or Onew hyung just said he won’t give Juliet up anymore? I swallow my saliva so loud that I thought Onew would hear it already.

Why?” I calmly ask, not moving an inch

I realized I can’t be apart from her. Seeing Juliet with you, it just tears my heart in pieces.

She’s not a toy that you could just give away and take back anytime you want hyung ah!!” I turn to face Onew and yell at him

Who said I was toying with her? I let her go because you like her. You’re my dongsaengs, do I supposed to go to war with you?

Fine. Take her. I don’t even like her anymore.” As I say those words, my heart is breaking in two. Even now if I have ten mouths, I wouldn’t know what else to say, but my pride is just too big to tell Onew hyung what I really feel like. Knowing Juliet is not happy being with me, it’s better to let her return to Onew. I don’t want to hurt either Juliet or Onew hyung.

So you were just playing with Juliet?” Onew asks in shock

She’s your responsibility now.” I throw the words at Onew’s face and storm inside my room. I lock the door and cry to myself. I’m so stupid for fooling myself that Juliet will actually like me.