Sherlock

Crimson

You could tell by the way she inspected the place, the way her eyes moved warily from  side to side, confused with the signs and streets. Her limited knowledge of the Korean language prevented her from navigating the streets of Seoul comfortably and her lack of knowledge about the culture made it even more challenging.

 

“Oh....Where now?!” she muttered to herself in her distinct, pristine English accent. She had been walking around the same district and for some reason she just couldn’t find the street she was looking for.


“Excuse me. Can you please help me look for Teukbyeolshi Street?” she approached a passer by who didn’t know a word of English.


“Ah. No. No.” he declined and quickly walked away to avoid more questions from the young lady. She thought of chasing him for more questions but chose not to, pitying him. Understanding the language alone was hard, what more trying to make words out of her British accent which he just found quite hard to understand.


“Darn it!” she cursed. “Well, looks like I’m going to have to get lost in the city again.” she said to herself while clutching her map and directions book.


She may be confused and disillusioned right now but this young woman right here was one of the most stellar, brightest, and most brilliant forensics and investigatory student in her university. She was Kim Dasom, born and raised in England and much like the reputation of the place and the people, she was polite, uptight, prim and proper. Dasom’s English name was Melanie but she preferred to go by her Korean name. Dasom graduated from a prestigious university in London with a degree in Criminology, an interest of hers that she had since she was a young girl. Dasom was a detective and a forensic scientist trainee. Dasom trained in the field of investigation by going around with her mentors, examining crime scenes and gathering evidences to be further studied in the laboratory. Though Dasom was only 20 years old, her colleagues have commended her precision and dedication to the field.


Dasom’s inspiration for becoming a detective was not a policeman or a person in the similar field, rather it was Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s famed character detective Sherlock Holmes. Dasom had been a fan of his since her childhood and this became the driving force for her to pursue her passion. Now, Dasom was living the dream and working hard to make it the best she’d ever lived.


Like most of her elder colleagues, Dasom was prompt and precise, had dedication for her work and made sure she did it right. Whenever there was a case needed to be investigated upon or a criminal needed to be busted, Dasom was always a step ahead of others, researching and even busting the criminals all by herself.


“I’m in here. Radio, I’m in here.” she said while working undercover, spying on drug mules hidden deep in the cities of London.


“Seen them, Agent Kim?”


“Positive. Smoking , producing . Gentlemen we have found our suspects.” The entire headquarters smiled successfully at Dasom’s accomplishment.


“Melanie.” spoke her boss who treated her much like a daughter.


“Yes, sir?”


“Be careful.” he warned.


“Roger that.” Dasom turned her radio off and grabbed her gun, readying to shoot. She slowly moved closer and closer, her back leaning against the door, ready to bust it open when needed. Dasom took another peer through the window and taking a deep breath, the brave investigator kicked the door down and pointed the gun at the drug addicts manufacturing illegal substances in their apartment.  


“Stop what you are doing and follow me.” she commanded. The drug mules were caught red handed but were armed.


“Don’t move a muscle!” Dasom warned. The drug mule went against her and bolted to get his gun, prompting Dasom to shoot. Narrowly missing him, the drug mule grabbed his gun and pointed it at Dasom. Dasom now realized that she was in danger.


“DROP IT!” Dasom shot repeatedly, making the drug mules duck, except for the one with the gun. He and Dasom continued to shoot each other, avoiding each other’s bullets. Dasom ducked, rolled and entered their drug lair, ready to fight them off. She lunged forward at the leader of the drug mule and struggled to free the gun from his dangerous grasp. The struggle was so intense that she got into a fist fight with him.


“Agent Melanie. Melanie, are you there?” radioed her boss. He sensed struggle as her radio kept on going off.


A few struggles later, along with punches, kicks and bullets,  Dasom was able to arrest the drug mules and bring them to the police. As expected, they would spend a lifetime in prison, along with the ultimate destruction of their drug lab.


Yet, another mission was accomplished by the youngest and best agent Kim Dasom.


But right now, the English born young lady was just trying to find her way around a place she had never been to before.