Silent Darkness

Crimson

She felt for the railings of the stairs carefully with her hands, her fingers tracing every outline of the handrail. Wrapping her fingers around the wooden chunk that was used for aiding those who used the stairs, she grasped it tightly, hoping that her slippery hands wouldn’t act ahead of her feet and send her rolling down the flight of stairs as it had before. In her difficult state, she took a deep breath and prayed for her safety.

 

Please don’t let me fall. The young lady said in her mind. Then, gracefully like a ballet dancer, she placed her toe on the step below where she was and feeling the step, she carefully went down and repeated the same process until she was sure she was moving. This continued until she was down to the last step.

 

 

Okay. Here’s the last step. Focus.  Keeping her head in the game, she was able to safely make it down the staircase. Not a cut, not a bruise, no tripping. She was still in one piece with no pain at all. It sure was hard being blind.

 

 

If you think that was hard, what this woman does for a living was much more dangerous than a trip down a flight of stairs.

 

 

This is Kim Yoo Jin known more commonly as UEE. UEE was born blind and mute meaning she was denied of the ability to see and speak, relying only on her sense of touch and hearing to get by. All her life it was a struggle for her to go about, having to enter a special school designed for those with similar conditions but she never let these get in the way of her success. UEE managed to make it all the way to college, graduating as an Arts Major. But if you could see what UEE did for a living, you would say it was far from the course that she took up in college.

 

 

UEE worked as an assassin. A criminal assassin. Her job was to hunt criminals down and kill them, earning megabucks for doing so. You wouldn’t think it was possible, especially for someone with her condition but it was true. UEE tracked criminals down and God only knew how good she was at it. Whenever asked how she did it, she would just reply in sign language, meaning:

 

 

“I just rely on my sense of hearing and touch. There’s no magic trick. That’s all I do.”

 

 

But really, if you think about it, it seems quite surreal and fantastic.

 

 

The organization that UEE worked for loved her. Absolutely. They loved her zeal and zest for work and how she strived hard to do what she was supposed to do without hesitation. Despite her condition, she was still better than 50% of the organization’s spies who didn’t have disabilities.

 

 

“I just love what I do. It’s all in the passion and dedication to do your work.” she would signal out. And each time she did this, they’d give her a round of applause.

 

 

Until she was assigned to a mission that she would never, ever forget.

 

 

Enter the Crimsons. The Crimsons is an organization of 10 criminals whose blind ambition to rule Korea had taken over them, leading them to commit a series of heinous murders of prominent officials and their goal to be rich lead them to commit a series of frauds throughout the land. But it seemed as though their passion to end the lives of the people on their “Dispose” list was greater, thus converting themselves from petty thieves to 100% murderers.

 

 

“Damn!” said UEE’s boss. UEE heard him and automatically knew that something was wrong. The Boss pranced around with his fist clenched tightly, resting on his forehead. UEE could imagine what he looked like and what he was feeling. This wasn’t a good thing, for sure.

 

 

“What’s wrong?” UEE asked in sign language. The Boss was too busy prancing that he didn’t see her. Hearing no reply, UEE tapped his desk so that he would pay some attention to her.

 

 

“What’s wrong?” she did in sign language again. The Boss sighed and sat on his swivel chair.

 

 

“The Crimsons.” he said. “They are out and about once again.”

 

 

“Oh. What’s on their agenda?”

 

 

“To kill people, what else?”

 

 

“I think I can put a stop to this.” UEE assured him. Because of frequent interactions with UEE,  The Boss had already managed to learn sign language.

 

 

“Crimsons?” she asked. The Boss nodded his head and said,

 

 

“Yes. Them.”

“Well what do you think I’m here for?” UEE said. “Send me to my mission.”

 

 

“According to reports, the Crimson is looking to kidnap and hold prominent personalities hostage.”

 

 

“For what?” asked UEE.

 

 

“I don’t know.” said The Boss regretfully.

 

 

“Don’t worry, boss. I’ll be on it.”

 

 

With that, the highly skilled blind assassin took to her heels and set out to find The Crimsons. No darkness nor silence could stop her from pursuing justice and order.