Chapter 17

Living Under the Same Roof with a Jock

Many thoughts floated around in Hyosung’s head as she stood in line behind Jonghyun, Sandara, and Kevin at Mcdonalds.
“This is taking forever...” Sandara complained in agony.
“No kidding,” Jonghyun added on. Then, as if a bright light bulb lit above his head, he snapped his fingers. “Hey, I know! Just to save some time, why don’t two of us stay in line and order for all of us while the other two go look for some seats?”
“That’s a great idea!” Sandara said.
“Yeah, and you're waiting with me,” he teased while putting an arm around her shoulders. She pouted in return. “Which leaves... The two of you to go save some spots for us!” He looked at Kevin and Hyosung with smirks. Hyosung could have sworn she saw a odd knowing smile in his eyes but shoved that thought away as her eyes met with Kevin’s.
“Alright, that sounds good. Are you okay with that?”  he asked Hyosung who quickly nodded, not having any problem with the plan.
“Alright then, bye you two!” Jonghyun practically pushed the two juniors out of his way.
When they were out of earshot, Dara turned to Jonghyun with suspicious eyes. “What was that all about?”
“Oh nothing...” he replied with his hands crossed across his chest while he looked down with an obvious smile on his face which he unsuccessfully tried to hide.
“Look at me!” Dara didn’t buy this ‘nothing’ he spoke of and when he didn’t follow her orders, she grabbed him by the collar of his shirt and brought his face closer to hers and spoke through her teeth, “If you don’t tell me what you're up to... I- I will... EAT ALL OF YOUR ICE CREAM!”
“What, NO, NOT MY ICECREAM!” Jonghyun squealed.
“Unless you tell me what you're up to, I will and let me warn you, I am not bluffing when I say this,” she continued on, not loosening her grip on his collar. He looked down at her with a suffocated look.
“Okay, okay, I’ll tell you.” He gulped, “Just please, take your hands off me before the other customers notice.”  The two of their eyes wandered around only to find people’s eyes already on them causing Dara to quickly let go.
“Okay, now tell me,” she whispered, trying to hide her face with her hand out of embarrassment.  Why did I do that in public?!
“Fine, but promise not to eat all of my ice cream?” he asked her as they moved up in line.
“I Promise. Now quit stalling!”
“Okay, so I was thinking...” Jonghyun started off.
“Yeah?”
“See how those two are so quiet? Especially Hyosung?”
“Yeah...” Dara’s voice softened. “It seems that she’s new at this socializing thing or something.”
“So you noticed too! Anyways, we should get those two together,” he grinned.
“What?!” Dara smacked him. “Are you serious?!”
“Ow!” he whined. “Yes, I am! I mean, just look at those two!” Their eyes wandered to the pair who were walking around together looking for seats. They seemed pretty shy around each other, yet it seemed that they matched. “See how good they look together?!”
“Yeah... I guess... So what’s the plan?”
“Well... I’m not sure yet. It just came out of nowhere but we should try to get them alone together as much as possible.”
Dara thought for a while and then said, “So basically, you're just gonna try to force them together hoping that they’ll end up going out someday?”
“Yep, that’s pretty much it!” he stupidly confirmed learning him in a smack in the head.
“Are you really that much of an airhead?! How do you you know they’ll even fall for each other? Your plan is so poorly put together!”
“HEY!” he started whining again. “Well it seems to be working isn’t it?” Dara followed her friend’s eyes to the two again who seemed to be interacting with each other.

***

Meanwhile, Hyosung and Kevin had finally found a decent place to sit in the crowded place. There were exactly four seats and Kevin plopped down at the edge of the table while Hyosung slid completely in on the other side opposite from where he was positioned.
“Maybe you should sit on the edge too so nobody takes their seat,” Kevin suggested looking at her with an unsure look.
“Oh, okay... Good idea,” Hyosung muttered and then awkwardly slid back to the edge with her bag on her lap.
She was planning on sitting there the whole time without saying a word until Dara and Jonghyun arrived but it seemed that Kevin had something else in mind.
“Hyosung,” he called her named causing her to look up. He remembers my name? Kevin looked into her eyes as he bent forward and his lips moved, “What’s up?”
Hyosung took this as an attempt on his part to make conversation with her. Hoping that it wouldn’t come out as a hard to understand mumble, she opened and responded, “Not much...” It was not that she didn’t like talking to people. She actually wanted to make some new friends but her unfortunate socially awkward feature just made things harder. Hoping that he wouldn’t take it as her being an unfriendly person, she gave him an awkward smile, with hopeful eyes.
In return, he let out a chuckle, sensing how uneasy she felt and hoping to ease it. Before they knew it, they were both smiling each other and although they weren’t speaking, this was their own way of communicating.
Little did they know, that they were being watched under sneaky eyes. And not only did those pairs of eyes belong to Jonghyun and Sandara but  as well to a  little someone who addressed people as ‘nobodies’.