Chapter 2

Living Under the Same Roof with a Jock

“Hey, it’s that girl from yesterday!” Hyosung came to an abrupt stop in the middle of her tracks, stiff with fear of too much attention on her.
Oh dear. Hyosung knew what was coming. At times like these, she usually found some way to mess up and embarrass herself in front of the others due to the pressure of being under the watching eyes of many.
Soon enough, a few passing by students made a sidetrack in their path as well to see what was going on.  “Hey Kikwang, go say hi to your crush,” one of the boys joked around, bumping Kikwang in the shoulder, who shoved him back. Hyosung’s eyes went wide when she heard the term crush. Through the corner of her eyes, she could see the trio of snobby, popular girls pausing as well to watch her with fire in their eyes.  

Kikwang on the other hand looked away to the side as if embarrassed when another obnoxious kid continued, “Come on, Don’t be so shy!” slapping him on the back and suddenly, they were all pushing him forward while she watched in horror.
She could feel Jieun at her side, even more surprised than Hyosung herself. She wasn’t there at the last encounter during lunch which made her pretty confused. “What’s going on?” she whispered to Hyosung in the midst of the boys still fooling around.
With some difficulty to even open at a time like this, she answered back, “I don’t know...”
Oh crap, she thought when she realized that she had science this period, meaning that she would be stuck in the same room with jocks and stuck up cheerleaders for the next 45 minutes. Oh boy, I wonder how this will go...They continued to wait in front of the lab room, waiting for the teacher to pull open the door so they could enter.
Her cheeks continued to burn as she tried her best to keep her face hidden before anyone saw  it turning red. More importantly, she didn’t want anyone to catch sight of her puffy eyes, which were the after effects of crying so much the night before.
The door finally opened to Hyosung’s relief and she walked at a fast pace to get through the door as a cowardly escape from the awkward atmosphere that had formed.
However, this only made things worse when just as she started walking in, Kikwang happened to go through the same doorway at the same time, causing them to be shoulder to shoulder now. Well, she was a good couple of inches shorter than him so more like top of head to chest.
“Ooh,” she heard snickering behind her from the boy’s friends. She stopped out of panic to let him go through first but he made a gesture with his head toward the inside of the classroom while looking at her, telling her to go inside without any movement of his lips. She was too dazzled by their eye contact too understand what was going on before someone pushed  her from behind, causing her to almost trip into the inside of the classroom. She could hear snickering precede this from behind, making her body temperature rise. Turning around, she saw the mean girl and her sidekicks standing their with their hands on their hips, looking down at her with  nasty snarls on each of their faces.  As if Hyosung had lost the ability to speak, opened only to close again.
“Hey, relax. That wasn’t cool you know,” her attention  turned to a different girl with two friends standing by her as well, making things even. They told the mean girls off for tripping her before turning to her with a warm smile.
Stuttering, she thanked them, “Th- Thank you” in a low voice and bowed a little before making her way over to her assigned seat, scolding herself along the way for being so weak. How could she let them stomp all over her like that?
She only lifted her head once that whole period to make eye contact with Ji Eun from all the way across the room. She had a worried look on her face so Hyosung nodded her head, assuring her that she was fine.
Things were going pretty okay until one of the mean girls just had to open . It wasn’t the main one but one of the sidekicks instead since the others were located elsewhere in their assigned seats.
“You aren’t actually thinking that Kikwang likes you, now are you?” she whispered from behind. Hyosung shuddered at the feeling of the girl’s breath grazing upon her neck but didn’t say anything back, not wanting to get involved into even more hectic trouble.
“I saw the way you lingered around at the doorway when he was there... You’re such a desperate, innocent acting wannabe!”
Trying to at least attempt to stick up for herself, Hyosung turned around and said, “No I’m not,” but it came out inaudible. She tried to repeat herself but then the teacher came out of nowhere and told her to face the front of the classroom again, forcing her to give up. She could hear the girl scoff at her from behind.
Hyosung jumped from her seat when the bell finally rang again, eager to meet up with Ji Eun and get the heck out of there, away from the mean girls and jocks when it started all over again.
“Hey, your girl’s leaving you. What are you going to do? Go call her back!” one of the boys .
Another added on, “Ya come on! Go chase your girl and tell her that you love her!” They were being really annoying today and from the expression on Kikwang’s face, she could tell that he was fed up.
Not minding them anymore, knowing that they were just being obnoxious and that this would end anytime soon, she didn’t care. Completely ignoring what the boys were saying, she kept on walking when suddenly, Kikwang’s voice suddenly reached her ears.
She tried to make out what he was saying out of pure curiosity, wondering what his response was to the teasing. “Yo chill. She’s not my type... I’d never go out with her” he emphasized on the word never, and in result, Hyosung could feel her heart start to sink like crazy.